RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
alimartin
Rookie Member

Re: RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:18 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:Yeah, I figured. It's an avenue my girlfriend has recently been exploring. She's in the fitness industry right now but with some of the possible postings across Canada, it would likely be difficult to continue down that path lol.

Actually, the small towns in particular can be ripe for fitness and health/wellness programs. We're posted in a small town now and my coach/friend moved here same time and runs a thriving fitness program and classes through the district office.

More time in one place would let her build a clientele, but there's definite possibilities.

acegman
Rookie Member

Postby acegman » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:23 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:Yeah, I figured. It's an avenue my girlfriend has recently been exploring. She's in the fitness industry right now but with some of the possible postings across Canada, it would likely be difficult to continue down that path lol.

having a client base online is an option. I have fitness friends who compete and they have clients that they help on instagram and facebook. Meal plans, workout plans ect

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:24 pm

alimartin wrote:

Actually, the small towns in particular can be ripe for fitness and health/wellness programs. We're posted in a small town now and my coach/friend moved here same time and runs a thriving fitness program and classes through the district office.

More time in one place would let her build a clientele, but there's definite possibilities.

Really? She'll be happy to hear that. Thanks!

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:31 pm

acegman wrote:

having a client base online is an option. I have fitness friends who compete and they have clients that they help on instagram and facebook. Meal plans, workout plans ect

That's an idea we've discussed as well. I told her to start building an online client base now, as networking in a new community could be a challenge. Depending on where you are and the demand I guess.

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 7:41 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:
acegman wrote:

That's an idea we've discussed as well. I told her to start building an online client base now, as networking in a new community could be a challenge. Depending on where you are and the demand I guess.

So much depends where you go. The network may be smaller, but it's impossible *not* to network in a small town. Honestly, every quick stop at the grocery store is a social expedition.

I waited a few months to look for a job in our current post (if it isn't clear yet, in an RCMP spouse and now applicant, left my previous LE job to pursue a different lifestyle for a wanted transfer). I put in an application to two places and ended up with 4 job offers. After I turned down one place (far too few hours), my name got mentioned to an affiliate and I got cold called. You really never know.

JunkyardDog
Rookie Member

Postby JunkyardDog » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:03 pm

Yeah, good point. I'd imagine in those small communities people get to know your name pretty quick whether you like it or not ha! I still have ways to go but can't help but try to prepare for the end goal.

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:14 pm

JunkyardDog wrote:Yeah, good point. I'd imagine in those small communities people get to know your name pretty quick whether you like it or not ha! I still have ways to go but can't help but try to prepare for the end goal.

It's like living in a fishbowl.

I moved in the day after my spouse. Ran out to our mini department store for sunscreen and the teller proceeded to tell me she knew all about my spouse and he was at the house alone the night prior and on and on and on. (She turned out to live in the neighbourhood)

Also had a complete stranger approach us while out eating asking about our dogs -- even knew behavioural details. He went to walk away and I had to remind him we hadn't been introduced and I had no idea who he was!

Everybody knows us (both of us, not just him!), whether or not we know them. Even got his picture in our newspaper (it's like, 8 pages) when we moved here :p

Don't expect much privacy in a small town, you have to create it :)

alimartin
Rookie Member

Postby alimartin » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:00 pm

I stand corrected on the transferability. That said, there still needs to be a vacancy? Our current detachment has had the same person in the detachment support role for longer than most members' careers. I do know of many spouses who fill these roles and if that's the case, then getting into that position could be gravy.

Silvaticus

Postby Silvaticus » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 pm

Well, here we go. One more hurdle done. Passed the dreaded polygraph and heading to Psych and Medical tomorrow morning. Judging by others, it could be a bit of a wait from here on in. Looking forward to what the Psych Evaluation is all about. Tried not to do too much digging about it, don't want any preconceptions. Most of what I've noticed throughout the process with the RCMP is that it's always different from what you expect anyway.
RCMP SK APP
Online App 16/05/2019
S/P Sent 06/06/2019
RMAQ 09/10/2019
RFI 16/10/2019
BGI 28/10/2019
PEP 26/11/2019
PEP Rec 02/12/2019
Med/Psych 29/01/2020
Med Cleared 05/02/2020
Sec start 05/02/2020

jesseg04
Rookie Member

Postby jesseg04 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 pm

Silvaticus wrote:Well, here we go. One more hurdle done. Passed the dreaded polygraph and heading to Psych and Medical tomorrow morning. Judging by others, it could be a bit of a wait from here on in. Looking forward to what the Psych Evaluation is all about. Tried not to do too much digging about it, don't want any preconceptions. Most of what I've noticed throughout the process with the RCMP is that it's always different from what you expect anyway.

I won't speak much about it, but it is definitely interesting. You are only a little bit behind me. I completed my initial medical tests (ecg, bloodwork, psych test) and am waiting to see if I need to meet with a psychiatrist. If not then I get to complete my final health assessment with a doctor. My security clearance is in the final suitability review process as of last week. I am so close!! I just had a buddy get "the call" to troop 11 which begins August 1st.
BC APPLICANT

APP: Aug 22
RPAT: Sep 17
SP: Oct 14
RMAQ: Dec 07

RMAQ REC: Feb 04
RMSI: Feb 12 REC Feb 16
PARE: Feb 21 3:16
PEP: Mar 22 REC May 15
BGI: May 18
MED: May 30
MC: Jul 21
SC: Jul 21
TROOP: 12

azims
Veteran Member

Postby azims » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:42 am

jesseg04 wrote:
Silvaticus wrote:Well, here we go. One more hurdle done. Passed the dreaded polygraph and heading to Psych and Medical tomorrow morning. Judging by others, it could be a bit of a wait from here on in. Looking forward to what the Psych Evaluation is all about. Tried not to do too much digging about it, don't want any preconceptions. Most of what I've noticed throughout the process with the RCMP is that it's always different from what you expect anyway.

..... I completed my initial medical tests (ecg, bloodwork, psych test) and am waiting to see if I need to meet with a psychiatrist.......

pyschologist not a psychiatrist...big difference !

ezontheii
Rookie Member

Postby ezontheii » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:06 am

I have finally made it through to the medical psych evaluation and the medical. I'm assuming it is just like any other evaluation, but when it comes to the medical exam what is involved?

John014
Seasoned Member

Postby John014 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:02 pm

ezontheii wrote:I have finally made it through to the medical psych evaluation and the medical. I'm assuming it is just like any other evaluation, but when it comes to the medical exam what is involved?

A Dr. looks at your junk and then asks you questions.
You take a hearing test.
Pretty standard.
If you choose Law Enforcement you LOSE the right to be unfit.

Police Officer

KaterGator
Rookie Member

Postby KaterGator » Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:05 pm

John014 wrote:
ezontheii wrote:I have finally made it through to the medical psych evaluation and the medical. I'm assuming it is just like any other evaluation, but when it comes to the medical exam what is involved?

A Dr. looks at your junk and then asks you questions.
You take a hearing test.
Pretty standard.

"Junk"... LOL dying laughing. Yep, like a 12 year old.

Do they retest vision as well?
ON Applicant
REINSERTION NOTICE: 10-JUN-16
REC'D SP: 16-JUN-16
SP SENT: 21-JUN-16
RMAQ: 05-DEC-16
PEP:
PEP REC:
BGI -
PSYCH/MED -
SUIT -
SC -