Halton Regional Police

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer

Toronto1985
Sage Member

Re: Halton Regional Police

Postby Toronto1985 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:23 pm

JaneneF wrote:Now is that standard with Halton where you do the PBQ on the same day as the LFI or just with you dontgiveup since you live far away? I have my PBQ coming on wednesday with them.
I believe its much like Peel. PBQ is done the same day as LFI (LFA for Peel).[/quote]

No... Halton's PBQ is strictly a PBQ - no mini LFI/LFA on that day.

Immediately after, they ask you a few questions about your PBQ - to clarify anything they want to clarify. And then you are off.

If you are successful, you will get a call a week or two or three later, to schedule an LFI.

dontgiveup has a different situation since he lives far away.
Border Services Officer

JaneneF

Postby JaneneF » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:26 am

Toronto1985 wrote:
JaneneF wrote:Now is that standard with Halton where you do the PBQ on the same day as the LFI or just with you dontgiveup since you live far away? I have my PBQ coming on wednesday with them.
I believe its much like Peel. PBQ is done the same day as LFI (LFA for Peel).

No... Halton's PBQ is strictly a PBQ - no mini LFI/LFA on that day.

Immediately after, they ask you a few questions about your PBQ - to clarify anything they want to clarify. And then you are off.

If you are successful, you will get a call a week or two or three later, to schedule an LFI.

dontgiveup has a different situation since he lives far away.[/quote]

Ah gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Hey guys,

I have my ECI with Halton tomorrow. If I'm successful they will inform me right away, and I'll proceed (after an hour or so lunch break) with the psych testing.
Has anybody gotten this far in the selection process? I'm just wondering -if I'm successful in the ECI- how long it usually takes to hear back about the psych testing? Or do they just wait until the background investigation (and essentially my entire package) are completed before letting me know of the results?

Toronto1985
Sage Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:16 pm

RobLScott wrote:Hey guys,

I have my ECI with Halton tomorrow. If I'm successful they will inform me right away, and I'll proceed (after an hour or so lunch break) with the psych testing.
Has anybody gotten this far in the selection process? I'm just wondering -if I'm successful in the ECI- how long it usually takes to hear back about the psych testing? Or do they just wait until the background investigation (and essentially my entire package) are completed before letting me know of the results?

They will notify you if your psych is a pass or fail before your BGI starts.

As far as the time frame goes it really could be anywhere from a few days to a few months.
Border Services Officer

shyne56
Rookie Member

Postby shyne56 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:42 am

After sending in the application for Halton or Toronto for example, how long does it usually take on average to hear back from them?

Toronto1985
Sage Member

Postby Toronto1985 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:47 pm

shyne56 wrote:After sending in the application for Halton or Toronto for example, how long does it usually take on average to hear back from them?
This differs hugely from service to service and depends on many different factors.

When I applied to YRP, they got back to me the next morning to begin he process.

When I applied to TPS, they got back to me exactly 6 months later to begin the process.

A few other services got back to me 2-3 months after applying to begin the process.

It really depends on the current needs of each service and how many good applicants they have at the moment you apply, etc etc etc etc.
Border Services Officer

goaliegibson
Grand Poobah

Postby goaliegibson » Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:01 pm

Be a Halton Regional Police Cadet

http://www.haltonpolice.ca/JoinUs/Pages ... Cadet.aspx

***The application process for the 2016 Police Cadet intake will begin in August 2015***

The Halton Regional Police Service established its one-year Police Cadet program in June, 2009. The primary purpose of the Police Cadet program is to promote and enhance the career development and experience of future Police Constable candidates.

Eight Halton Regional Police Service Cadets are currently assigned to locations throughout the Region.

Key Activities:

To work in a Police Division under the mentoring of a Halton Regional Police Constable
To participate as a member of the Halton Regional Police Service at community events, crime prevention initiatives, special projects
To provide front-line information and assistance to members of the public (in person and by telephone); become familiar with police procedures, and to assist police officers in the performance of their duties
To perform other duties as directed
Basic Qualifications:

To be considered for a Police Cadet position, candidates must:

Be Canadian citizens or permanent residents
Be at least 18 years of age
Be of good moral character and habits
Be mentally able to perform the job
Possess a valid driver's licence (minimum Class 'G') with a good driving record
Have successfully completed secondary school or the approved equivalent
Meet vision standards of uncorrected visual accuity of at least 20/40 binocularly, corrected visual accuity should be at least 20/20 binocularly, with normal colour vision, and normal hearing standards
Possess either a OACP Certificate of Results, or the ability to obtain this certificate during the contract position
Possess a good level of physical fitness
Possess a current Standard First Aid certificate and current CPR certificate (Basic Rescuer Level C)
Desired Qualifications:

Between the ages of 19-24 years of age
Resident of Halton Region or within 50km of the area
Recent post-secondary graduate or in the last semester of post-secondary education, with graduation in Spring, 2016
Work Duration and Salary:

Individuals hired as Police Cadets with the Halton Regional Police Service will be paid a salary for the duration of their one year work experience program.

Work term commences in May, 2016.

Candidates will be assigned varied shifts, including days, evenings, nights and weekends.

Upcoming Information Sessions:

Wednesday, August 19, 2015
6:00 p.m.

Saturday, August 22, 2015
10:00 a.m.

Saturday, September 12, 2015
10:00a.m.

Wednesday, September 16, 2015
6:00p.m.

All four free information sessions will be held in the Cafeteria at Police Headquarters (1151 Bronte Rd. Oakville).

Space is limited and registration is required.

Email CadetProgram@haltonpolice.ca

How To Apply:

The recruiting process typically consists of information sessions and the submission of online applications. Subsequent stages involve interviews, psychological testing, background investigations and medical examinations. Candidates are invited to download the application package.

Online applications for the 2016 Police Cadet intake will be accepted from September 14, 2015 to October 12, 2015. Hard copy applications are to be received by 4:00pm on October 16, 2015, at Halton Regional Police Headquarters, 1151 Bronte Rd, Oakville, ON L6M 3L1.

For more information about the Halton Regional Police Service Police Cadet program, contact:

CadetProgram@haltonpolice.ca

Navrick
Rookie Member

Postby Navrick » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:35 pm

Hello all!

Just received word today to complete my PBQ and to come in for a Personal Interview.

I had read earlier in the thread (among a few conflicting comments) that HRPS runs through it's hiring process swiftly. Would it be safe to assume that the 'round' of applicants that I'm currently a part of are to be prepared for a class as early as December?

Thanks for reading!

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:36 am

Doubtful.
After PBQ/LFI, there's still ECI, Psych, Medical, BGI, etc.
Quite a few steps to complete in two months.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:36 am

Navrick wrote:Hello all!

Just received word today to complete my PBQ and to come in for a Personal Interview.

I had read earlier in the thread (among a few conflicting comments) that HRPS runs through it's hiring process swiftly. Would it be safe to assume that the 'round' of applicants that I'm currently a part of are to be prepared for a class as early as December?

Thanks for reading!
I applied to HRPS in April did my PBQ on June 10th and I'm now in the background stage. I was informed by the recruiting Sgt. That if I'm successful I will be included in the Jan OPC intake. So if you are just now doing your PBQ/LFI its very doubtful you will start for Jan OPC. More likely a late April start with May OPC intake.

You probably don't want to go to OPC in January anyways haha.

Navrick
Rookie Member

Postby Navrick » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:38 pm

mack_silent wrote:Doubtful.
RobLScott wrote:
I applied to HRPS in April did my PBQ on June 10th and I'm now in the background stage. I was informed by the recruiting Sgt. That if I'm successful I will be included in the Jan OPC intake. So if you are just now doing your PBQ/LFI its very doubtful you will start for Jan OPC. More likely a late April start with May OPC intake.

I suspected as much, thanks for the input gents.

Good luck with yours RobLScott!

Kevinroy91
Rookie Member

Postby Kevinroy91 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:00 pm

Hey everyone,

Going for my Personal Interview ( BGQ and LFI) on Tuesday the 17th for Halton. I've been through a couple services right up until the psych where I was not successful. Some services I had to wait a complete year until re applying and as of recent, I was able to apply for Halton.

Anyone else in the process ?

Best of luck !
Last edited by Kevinroy91 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kevinroy91
Rookie Member

Postby Kevinroy91 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:17 pm

Navrick wrote:
mack_silent wrote:Doubtful.
RobLScott wrote:

I suspected as much, thanks for the input gents.

Good luck with yours RobLScott!

Hey guys, I had my LFI, Background questionnaire and other written documents to do this month. It went really well. Honestly best interview I've done yet. And then suddenly.. I get a email today saying I'm not moving forward.
I'll be looking into it for more information.

Keep pushing everyone !

RobLScott
Rookie Member

Postby RobLScott » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:15 pm

I had my PBQ on June 10th of this year, and completed every stage (LFI, ECI, Pysch, Med, Background). Just last week I got the call informing me that my file was deemed "non-competitive" compared to others that had applied.

Really sucks to have made it this far only to not get hired and now I have to start all over again (after a full 12 months of waiting if I want Halton again). But it was a great experience, and now I know what to expect and how to better prepare for the interviews. And the one thing the recruiter suggested was my commitment to volunteering was lacking, and when I do volunteer to try to make it include as many uncomfortable and difficult situations as possible. Hope that can help anyone else who's in the process or thinking about applying to Halton.

Tdot786

Postby Tdot786 » Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:46 pm

RobLScott wrote:I had my PBQ on June 10th of this year, and completed every stage (LFI, ECI, Pysch, Med, Background). Just last week I got the call informing me that my file was deemed "non-competitive" compared to others that had applied.

Really sucks to have made it this far only to not get hired and now I have to start all over again (after a full 12 months of waiting if I want Halton again). But it was a great experience, and now I know what to expect and how to better prepare for the interviews. And the one thing the recruiter suggested was my commitment to volunteering was lacking, and when I do volunteer to try to make it include as many uncomfortable and difficult situations as possible. Hope that can help anyone else who's in the process or thinking about applying to Halton.
That's good advice, look into Red Cross for volunteering.
- We're all addicted to something that takes the pain away, I'm addicted to God.