Surrey Community Patrol Officers

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Surrey Community Patrol Officers

Postby Boxer Dogs » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:17 am

Has anyone heard about this program? Right now I see Commissionaires on foot, but from what it says these new officers will be reporting to the manager of Bylaw Enforcement.

Community Patrol Officers

City of Surrey

The City of Surrey is a place of innovative transformation and accelerated growth - where the future is limitless and possibilities are endless. If you are excited about helping to build the city of tomorrow—and you share our values of integrity, service, teamwork, innovation and community - join us, today.

Community Patrol Officers (Project – Up to 14 Months)
The City of Surrey’s By-Law and Licensing Services is in the process of positive change that will revolutionize the community partnership and service delivery model. We are looking to add to this team customer-focused Community Patrol Officers. Reporting directly to the Manager of By-Law Enforcement you will be an integral part of the team and be the face of the City of Surrey in the field. If you are interested in a career that offers tremendous opportunities for growth and the chance to influence positive changes in the community, we encourage you to keep reading.

Candidates under consideration will possess the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
Excellent interpersonal, diplomacy and customer service skills will be put to good use as you respond to inquiries and highly sensitive complaints from members of the public.
Engagement skills will be critical as you develop and maintain relationships with the community.
Embrace working in a supportive, team-based environment and work with others to arrive at sound decisions.
Impeccable ability to communicate and liaise with all levels of staff and other key stakeholders.
Good general knowledge of bylaws, policies and regulations to seek compliance with members of the public.
Applicants under consideration will possess the following minimum qualifications:
Completion of Grade 12 supplemented by coursework in a related discipline.
Previous experience in dealing with the public.
An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered
A valid and unrestricted driver’s license and safe driving record
This position requires completion of a Police Information Check
Assets include:
Completion of a diploma in a directly related field (e.g. Criminology)
Customer service experience in a directly related role
Experience volunteering in community patrolling
Completion of the Bylaws Compliance, Enforcement, and Investigative Skills course or equivalent.
This job posting will close on Tuesday, November 3rd, 2015 @ 4:30pm. Late submissions will not be accepted.

We offer a dynamic work environment and excellent opportunities to advance.

To apply online, visit http://www.surreycareers.ca
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Re: Surrey Community Patrol Officers

Postby Tango5 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:37 am

I wonder if this project is like or close to VPD's CSO..
I have heard however, that the Commissionaires are being let go.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Wed Oct 28, 2015 10:11 am

Do they get any UOF tools? If not than it's a complete waste of time
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:54 pm

It's a "up to" 14 month project that rcmp execs have said to kibosh as its expensive and ineffective. Doesn't sound promising for job security... good for someone young looking to apply as a rm within a year.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:19 am

Nesdolian wrote:It's a "up to" 14 month project that rcmp execs have said to kibosh as its expensive and ineffective. Doesn't sound promising for job security... good for someone young looking to apply as a rm within a year.

This is probably why the city is creating this new project. I have a feeling the contracted commissionaires will be absorbed by the city.

There is a question about training and authority, currently the city won't train the commissionaires as this is not their force, however, by taking them over they can easyly justify need of training and the costs associated.

It appears those new positions will be by-Law, if so, why not just call them that? Unless they will have more authority, perhaps Special status, what's with this mame > Community Patrol Officer?
And, if there is no authority then how can they be responding to highly sensitive public complains?

allbrancereal
Veteran Member

Postby allbrancereal » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:34 pm

There is a posting up for bylaw officers too for city of Surrey. I wonder what the pay is like for this new position.

Dudley DoRight
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Dudley DoRight » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:01 pm

If they can the programme in 14 months....maybe you could slide right over into that Dance Instructor slot they are also looking to fill? :twisted:

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:16 am

I saw this ad as well and was tempted to actually give Surrey a phone call to see if I could get some more specific information. Just to satisfy my curiosity.

If the City of Surrey is going to be taking on a community patrol programme similar to the VPD or are going to be By-Law Officer+ then I think it's a good idea. Especially if the RCMP didn't think it was worth it in terms of their own programs and costs. The city will have control of the programme.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:56 am

It wouldn't make sense not or have Bylaw or other authority. At least that way they can address some of the issues in Surrey. Good question about UOF tools. Do the current Surrey Bylaw Officers carry UOF tools?

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:04 pm

Boxer Dogs wrote:It wouldn't make sense not or have Bylaw or other authority. At least that way they can address some of the issues in Surrey. Good question about UOF tools. Do the current Surrey Bylaw Officers carry UOF tools?

Security guard can already have Batons, cuffs and vests. Not the be all end all, but still better than nothing. Can't see how they wouldn't have that at least.

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sat Oct 31, 2015 10:15 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Boxer Dogs wrote:It wouldn't make sense not or have Bylaw or other authority. At least that way they can address some of the issues in Surrey. Good question about UOF tools. Do the current Surrey Bylaw Officers carry UOF tools?

Security guard can already have Batons, cuffs and vests. Not the be all end all, but still better than nothing. Can't see how they wouldn't have that at least.

Security Guards in BC cannot carry batons. Sometimes they carry cuffs if they have authorization from the ministry.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:26 am

Boxer Dogs wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

Security Guards in BC cannot carry batons. Sometimes they carry cuffs if they have authorization from the ministry.

:crazy:

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:53 pm

BC doesn't allow the carring of batons by security personnel. One can carry restrains i.e. hand cuffs if completes Advanced Training at JIBC having the endorsement listed on their license.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:20 pm

Tango5 wrote:BC doesn't allow the carring of batons by security personnel. One can carry restrains i.e. hand cuffs if completes Advanced Training at JIBC having the endorsement listed on their license.

So call them community guides (or whatever) not security, which in turn means they can have batons. When you think about it it's completely fucking idiotic.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:30 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:
Tango5 wrote:BC doesn't allow the carring of batons by security personnel. One can carry restrains i.e. hand cuffs if completes Advanced Training at JIBC having the endorsement listed on their license.

So call them community guides (or whatever) not security, which in turn means they can have batons. When you think about it it's completely fucking idiotic.

Ok. I think I am lost then.. :)

Not sure what you are referring to honestly. What are the community guides?
I thought we are talking about the common security guard.

Eh.. If I am lost in this thread then... Carry on. :p

I am last to argue but, have you seen those on streets?