Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Rareform
Seasoned Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby Rareform » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:25 pm

blue98saturn wrote:I just got offered less then what this post listed as the minimum.

Brinks - $15.50 / hour (depending on what position you work)

Definitely a wage disparity that is dependent upon location, position and regional union agreements.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:33 am

My friend just got hired with GW. I REALLY do not like the hours they give to the newbies, you have no guarantee of them. You could go days without a shift then poof one day, you get an 4 hour one. This of course is after their training. When they finally get to that real call.. All the training is gone.. :banghead:

G4S was one thing.. GW's takeover.. Wow.....
Royal Canadian Marine Search & Rescue
SAR Member

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:22 am

It all depends. If your friend is not getting hours right now he must be way low on the seniority. Summer is normally super busy for casuals due to full timer's vacations. Either way, it's something that's earned. Make sure he keeps the phone handy and take every shift that's offered. Which branch is he at?

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:33 am

Vancouver

That's his business though.. Just not for me :)
SAR Member

jayj135
Rookie Member

Postby jayj135 » Mon Sep 14, 2015 7:44 pm

I just received a call for from Brinks with some preliminary questions and hopefully an interview to follow. the position I applied for is messenger. I was told that part time casual starts at $14.77 an hour for the Barrie Ontario area. I have been reading older posts, I was shocked to hear that brinks does not supply a vest to wear.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Sep 15, 2015 3:59 pm

Honestly.. Their vests could be worn down and outdated. I'd get a custom fit one anyway.

Good luck!
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue Oct 20, 2015 3:39 pm

Yeah, I wouldn't advise wearing a spare vest from anyone else whether they are still employed or not. G4S/GardaWorld was pretty good at buying and replacing custom fit vests. But even they ended up giving me a spare one that turned out to be expired while I was waiting for it to arrive and in between vest repairs. (I was kind of aggressive and tore the vest carrier a few times.) :P
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Tue Oct 20, 2015 4:27 pm

Simplimatics wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't advise wearing a spare vest from anyone else whether they are still employed or not. G4S/GardaWorld was pretty good at buying and replacing custom fit vests. But even they ended up giving me a spare one that turned out to be expired while I was waiting for it to arrive and in between vest repairs. (I was kind of aggressive and tore the vest carrier a few times.) :P

Don't believe the hype. Expired vests are still more than capable of providing protection that it's rated for. I still have 2 vests my dad gave my from his old CCRA days and shot one of them up (still stopped the rounds)
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:49 pm

I was with with some guards working on an ATM the other day.. Apparently GW just picked up Churchill..

GW is cleaning house.
SAR Member

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:10 am

IndictableChaser wrote:
Simplimatics wrote:Yeah, I wouldn't advise wearing a spare vest from anyone else whether they are still employed or not. G4S/GardaWorld was pretty good at buying and replacing custom fit vests. But even they ended up giving me a spare one that turned out to be expired while I was waiting for it to arrive and in between vest repairs. (I was kind of aggressive and tore the vest carrier a few times.) :P

Don't believe the hype. Expired vests are still more than capable of providing protection that it's rated for. I still have 2 vests my dad gave my from his old CCRA days and shot one of them up (still stopped the rounds)

I suspected they still provided valid protection, but was never sure. That's good to know.

noanykey wrote:I was with with some guards working on an ATM the other day.. Apparently GW just picked up Churchill..

GW is cleaning house.

That's news to me. You're right though, I just tried digging through Churchill's website and it's been taken down and replaced with "Garda Brand Assessment". Any other Churchill links redirect to GardaWorld's website.

As far as I know, Churchill paid pretty low in comparison. Hopefully that'll mean a raise and a proper unionized environment for their employees - the ones that stuck around or we re-hired that is.

I know Churchill did pre-employment polygraphs on all their employees. I wonder if Garda will pick that up off of them.
Special Constable

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:29 pm

An expired vest is better than no vest at all.

noanykey
Rookie Member

Postby noanykey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 3:46 pm

Simplimatics wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:

I suspected they still provided valid protection, but was never sure. That's good to know.

noanykey wrote:I was with with some guards working on an ATM the other day.. Apparently GW just picked up Churchill..

GW is cleaning house.

That's news to me. You're right though, I just tried digging through Churchill's website and it's been taken down and replaced with "Garda Brand Assessment". Any other Churchill links redirect to GardaWorld's website.

As far as I know, Churchill paid pretty low in comparison. Hopefully that'll mean a raise and a proper unionized environment for their employees - the ones that stuck around or we re-hired that is.

I know Churchill did pre-employment polygraphs on all their employees. I wonder if Garda will pick that up off of them.

I was told by a GW Guard..

I think.. The only one aside from the ABM trucks are Brinks left.
SAR Member

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:23 pm

Inkas is still around.

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:35 am

I am surprised.
Special Constable

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:01 pm

Dinkas
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.