Crime Prevention Society

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
Tango5
Rookie Member

Crime Prevention Society

Postby Tango5 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 1:45 pm

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/2015/02/05/su ... ch-program

Transit Police and the Surrey Crime Prevention Society are teaming up to launch a new program aimed at improving security at the city’s various transportation hubs.

Set to roll out at the end of the month, Transit Watch will see volunteer patrols armed with uniforms and radios set out on foot, bike and vehicle to give transit police an extra eyes and ears on the ground.

“Every transit system in the world experiences challenges — Surrey is no different,” said Karen Reid Sidhu, executive director of the city’s non-profit crime prevention society.

“This is an opportunity for us to introduce a unique model.”

Transit Watch volunteers will be based around the city’s four SkyTrain stations — Scott Road, Gateway, Surrey Central and King George — as well as the Newton bus loop.

Two groups of four will patrol the sites over a five-hour period, three days a week, though they are instructed to not intervene or engage in a situation.

Besides calling in criminal issues such as suspicious persons or vandalism, volunteers are also trained to report in cases of fire or medical emergencies.

“Pretty well anything they spot that looks unusual we want to hear about,” said Anne Drennan, a spokeswoman for Transit Police. “Anything and everything.”

About $17,500 has been earmarked for the program, which in addition to buying jackets, vests, radio equipment and travel expenses, will fund two part-time co-ordinators.

Forty-five volunteers have been selected and are partway through training for the role.

In all, about 300 people volunteer with the crime prevention society, with the vast majority of those being university students.

“Who can say they have that many youth who take an interest in giving back in their community?” said Reid Sidhu.

The idea for Transit Watch — an extension of a pre-existing core program offered by the crime prevention society — sparked from a discussion between Reid Sidhu and Transit Police Chief Neil Dubord.

Depending on its success, the program could be expanded to other jurisdictions throughout Metro Vancouver.

Awesome!

I am not sure how Aux program looks in Surrey but I suspect it is just like here and/or anywhere else. >>> Direct supervision only, mostly 1 to 1 ratio.

So I am sitting here and doing this > :ponder: thinking and trying to make sense of things...

We take the somewhat trained and exposed to various scenarious Auxiliary Constables off the road because they wear uniforms and risk being shot at. Then we turn around and take the Crime Prevention program, uniformed, volunteers and put them on or near Skytrain stations and bus loops to do patrols.

I have done patrols in these type of areas. >> I don't know.... :crazy:

/rant
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Crime Prevention Society

Postby mack_silent » Fri Mar 06, 2015 8:48 am

I agree.
I live in Toronto and can say that volunteer police patrolling the transit would not be a good idea here. I imagine it would be the same in B.C.
Special constable or Police constables are needed, with full training, equipment, and backup. The transit system can be a dirty and dangerous place.

Putting volunteers into a transit security role is a HUGE liability.
They are "instructed not to intervene or engage in a situation". What if someone is getting attacked, needs medical help, or what if the situation/person engages them?

It would make more sense to put in a passenger safety assistance alarm like TTC has, which dispatches transit police when pushed.
It's the yellow strips in the photo (mounted at ceiling and lower for the handicap seating area).
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:30 am

All trains here have the strips.
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:11 pm

Good to hear!

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:18 pm

Just add more transit security/peace officers. Give them the equipment they can carry now (batons/oc) and later hopefully laws will change allowing armed security / peace officers (other than protecting valuables) .....(which will never happen :roll: )
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:49 pm

IndictableChaser wrote:Just add more transit security/peace officers. Give them the equipment they can carry now (batons/oc) and later hopefully laws will change allowing armed security / peace officers (other than protecting valuables) .....(which will never happen :roll: )

Transit Police in BC are armed constables just like any other. http://www.transitpolice.bc.ca/sitecore/content/TransLink/Home/About-Us/Corporate-Overview/Operating-Companies/Transit-Police.aspx?sc_lang=en

This program by the Crime Prevention Society is just like any of the dozen other "Citizens on Patrol" type programs operating around the city. They're not security, not LE, just helpful volunteers with a little training around observation skills, how to write a witness statement, that sort of thing. Honestly I don't see what the issue is. This isn't the RCMP or Transit Police putting in Volunteers instead of cops or security, its a semi-independant Crime Prevention Society offering a service to their community.
:wave:

Boxer Dogs
Rookie Member

Postby Boxer Dogs » Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:10 am

Translink already has Transit Security (not the Skytrain Attendants that stand inside the stations)in addition to Transit Police. The crime prevention volunteers looking nothing like police or security. I don't see an issue with an extra set of eyes. We can't be everywhere at once and the extra set of eyes could be useful.
My opinions are my own and do not reflect my agency.

IndictableChaser
Veteran Member

Postby IndictableChaser » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:47 pm

th wrote:
IndictableChaser wrote:Just add more transit security/peace officers. Give them the equipment they can carry now (batons/oc) and later hopefully laws will change allowing armed security / peace officers (other than protecting valuables) .....(which will never happen :roll: )

Transit Police in BC are armed constables just like any other. http://www.transitpolice.bc.ca/sitecore/content/TransLink/Home/About-Us/Corporate-Overview/Operating-Companies/Transit-Police.aspx?sc_lang=en

This program by the Crime Prevention Society is just like any of the dozen other "Citizens on Patrol" type programs operating around the city. They're not security, not LE, just helpful volunteers with a little training around observation skills, how to write a witness statement, that sort of thing. Honestly I don't see what the issue is. This isn't the RCMP or Transit Police putting in Volunteers instead of cops or security, its a semi-independant Crime Prevention Society offering a service to their community.

I never said police. I said armed security/peace officers.
Ever listen to k billy's super sounds of the 70s?

"...if every time, Snot Boogie stole the money, why’d you let him play?
... Got to. It’s America, man."

Jacky Boy

Postby Jacky Boy » Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:31 am

Having experience working in transit security in a large city myself, having more eyes around that are willing to call in issues is always a good thing. As long as the volunteers don't attempt to act as security (which the mandate here clearly says they are not supposed to), I would have welcomed an organization like that.
There are two kinds of men who never amount to much: those who cannot do what they are told, and those who can do nothing else.

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:53 pm

mack_silent wrote:I agree.
I live in Toronto and can say that volunteer police patrolling the transit would not be a good idea here. I imagine it would be the same in B.C.
Special constable or Police constables are needed, with full training, equipment, and backup. The transit system can be a dirty and dangerous place.

Putting volunteers into a transit security role is a HUGE liability.
They are "instructed not to intervene or engage in a situation". What if someone is getting attacked, needs medical help, or what if the situation/person engages them?

It would make more sense to put in a passenger safety assistance alarm like TTC has, which dispatches transit police when pushed.
It's the yellow strips in the photo (mounted at ceiling and lower for the handicap seating area).

These most often, IMO, are a joke. How discreet is it to stand up and reach way up above the window to hit this skinny bar? Sure, backup will be coming but in that time... I had it happen when I was young and was so terrified to hit that thing because I thought the guys would for sure see me and beat the snot out of me or the woman they were harassing before help would come. I understand the need to get it out of reach of kids but to what degree? How do the disabled reach it?... More physical presence is key. Again IMO.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:39 pm

There is a yellow strip at knee height at the wheelchair spot on each car.
It's hard to see (image quality) but it's in the left photo, a child could press this but really a kid shouldn't be riding the subway alone.

I've also seen many many many scary scenes on public transit.
I've been using the TTC for decades and have only seen transit security a handful of times. They are 99% reactive.

My main concern for this program is safety of the volunteers.
A volunteer calling in a crime is very capable of being assaulted. Even if they are trained to not intervene, they could still potentially get hurt.

Proper trained security presence is what's needed. (uniform special constables or police)
Therefore the Crime Prevention Society program could work *IF* the volunteers are paired / grouped with a uniform constable.
This would help ensure the goals of more eyes / safety for the volunteers / and prompt backup.
Last edited by mack_silent on Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:53 pm

mack_silent wrote:A child shouldn't be riding the subway alone.

Not sure what part of my comment you're referring to here but when I said out of kids reach I didn't mean alone, but I could imagine all the false alarms if it was at a height for kids even with parents sitting there.

Parking159

Postby Parking159 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:49 am

When I saw the thread topic "Crime Prevention Society" I immediately pictured something like this:

https://lambsaidwhat.files.wordpress.co ... ampunk.jpg
Convincing a wise man is easy. Reasoning with a fool is difficult.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 am

Parking159 wrote:When I saw the thread topic "Crime Prevention Society" I immediately pictured something like this:

https://lambsaidwhat.files.wordpress.co ... ampunk.jpg

Would you really want to tangle with the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen? I thought not!

Tally-ho!
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

th
Veteran Member

Postby th » Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Remember if we don't have a society to deal the blight that is the living statue, soon we'll be up to our balls in jugglers!

Its for the greater good!
:wave: