Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
spooky
Rookie Member

Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby spooky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:23 pm

I'm slotted for training with Brinks and I'm waiting to hear back about my application with Garda. One of my references was called so I should be hearing back soon.

I'm having to make a decision on which to work for and that's the point of this thread.

I currently work for about $13/hour and get 37-40 hours per week. I'm stagnating at my current job and have no further room for promotion. I'm located in Ontario.

Brinks said that they pay $14.60 or so and can offer between 4 and 20 hour per week as part time casual. It was also mentioned that it'd take about 2.5-3 years to potentially get a full time job with them. I think I'd have to work at my current job and pick up any hours with Brinks on the side in order to ensure that I can feed my family and pay bills.

I have a friend who works for G4S (who is now owned by Garda). He was hired a year or so ago and mentioned that he gets about $18-$20 per hour and was currently getting about 30 hours per week. Assuming that the pay is the same after Garda bought the company, this would allow me to leave my current job on good terms and then try to get as many hours as possible.

So at this point, assuming my information is correct, I'm leaning towards Garda. Without getting into the flame wars of other AT threads, can anyone give me any additional information on either company?

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Re: Brinks vs Garda (G4S) to work for

Postby mack_silent » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:21 pm

Private and contract security companies are terrible to work for.

If your heart is set of security work, I'd suggest you look for in-house, corporate, or privatized security.
Look for positions that will pay fair wages, give benefits and properly train / equip their staff.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:56 pm

My heart is set on policing and I'm trying to get a new job that has more responsibility, shift work, pays better, etc. I think this is a good next step.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:07 pm

It's not even security, it's FedEx with a gun. If you search you will see that this has been discussed before...multiple times.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:25 pm

Not to offend anyone, but...
I wonder why there are any Brinks threads on BL.
I mean its they have nothing to do with law enforcement, tge courts etc...
Might as well have threads about carpentry or car sales
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:24 pm

Bitterman wrote:Not to offend anyone, but...
I wonder why there are any Brinks threads on BL.
I mean its they have nothing to do with law enforcement, tge courts etc...
Might as well have threads about carpentry or car sales

Well, at least it's not posted in the Applicants forum. After all this is:
The Lounge - NON Law Enforcement discussion.

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:27 pm

spooky wrote:My heart is set on policing and I'm trying to get a new job that has more responsibility, shift work, pays better, etc. I think this is a good next step.

If you heart is set on policing, then review the core competencies of your local police service and ask if you will gain those skills through a job with Brinks.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:21 pm

Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I do know that I'll have two weeks of training and additional new life experiences that may be valuable. I'm also interested in the responsibility of being in charge of highly valuable cargo.

I'm not getting into this to play sheriff. I think that it'll be a good experience and looks interesting. I'd also get more physical activity at this job. Plus more money which is desperately needed since we now have 3 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment. Fortunately the baby doesn't take up much room yet. Plus this job has the opportunity for promotion whereas my current job does not.

What's not helping is me sitting at my current job with my feet up because it's easy. It was tough for a year or two but now it's cake.

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:04 pm

spooky wrote:Maybe I will, maybe I won't. I do know that I'll have two weeks of training and additional new life experiences that may be valuable. I'm also interested in the responsibility of being in charge of highly valuable cargo.

I'm not getting into this to play sheriff. I think that it'll be a good experience and looks interesting. I'd also get more physical activity at this job. Plus more money which is desperately needed since we now have 3 people living in a 1 bedroom apartment. Fortunately the baby doesn't take up much room yet. Plus this job has the opportunity for promotion whereas my current job does not.

What's not helping is me sitting at my current job with my feet up because it's easy. It was tough for a year or two but now it's cake.

Brinks may be very occasional.... Also be aware that the two weeks of training is mostly unpaid... 8 days trg, 3 days of it paid. Plus you'll also have to wait for ID to come in from Head or regional office, and ATC from the CFO. Until then, all you could do is vault shifts. I just started working there, and have also accepted a better job with SERCO, and will be returning to Ontario Parks as a Warden again... Meaning I may not stay with Brinks.

I'd suggest Brinks will probably have more staying power in the industry than Garda (who just bought out G4S Cash services division) But you'll make less to start... Messengers and Guards make about 18-20/hr at Brinks as well. It's the drivers who are paid less... Less risk = less pay.

Honestly, I find it really depressing to be working my ass off handling millions of dollars while I'm only getting paid peanuts... Those are the vault shifts though... I havent hit the road yet... That may be more enjoyable...

Lastly, It really is Fed-Ex with a gun.... And the gun just means one more thing to carry and worry about at work...
"Courage is fear holding on a minute longer." - General George S. Patton

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:39 pm

Tommy wrote:I havent hit the road yet... That may be more enjoyable...

If you are a driver, it won't be especially if you are still a part-timer and don't have your own route. Vault your hours are pretty much set. On the road...you have a definate start time and that's it, you finish when you finish. It's not like you can really chat with the messenger since he sits in back and you two are seperated, by a thick partition. Also some (most) of the older guys are crusty as hell, and will purposely make you take the long and convoluted way to your stops, in order to stretch out the shift.

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:01 am

48highlander wrote:

If you are a driver, it won't be especially if you are still a part-timer and don't have your own route. Vault your hours are pretty much set. On the road...you have a definate start time and that's it, you finish when you finish. It's not like you can really chat with the messenger since he sits in back and you two are seperated, by a thick partition. Also some (most) of the older guys are crusty as hell, and will purposely make you take the long and convoluted way to your stops, in order to stretch out the shift.

I suppose it's a good thing I have three other jobs I like, that pay much better.

I don't mind driving for the full shift, and I'll just throw some mini speakers on my ipod or listen to the radio if it's installed... I'm a trucker cf side so driving isn't really too far of a stretch for me already... I'm not looking for excitement, just a paycheck right now.

spooky
Rookie Member

Postby spooky » Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:25 pm

Tommy wrote:
48highlander wrote:

I suppose it's a good thing I have three other jobs I like, that pay much better.

I don't mind driving for the full shift, and I'll just throw some mini speakers on my ipod or listen to the radio if it's installed... I'm a trucker cf side so driving isn't really too far of a stretch for me already... I'm not looking for excitement, just a paycheck right now.

Why don't you just focus more on the three other jobs you like that pay much better?

Tommy
Veteran Member

Postby Tommy » Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 pm

spooky wrote:
Why don't you just focus more on the three other jobs you like that pay much better?

Easy

Job #1. Part Time
Job #2. Part Time Seasonal from May-Nov
Job #3. Seasonal (2.5 Month Contract)

This economy doesn't make it easy some days... But you do what you gotta do right? Brinks is a top-up part time job for when the summer park warden job ends and I need to augment my other jobs.

I dream of a day when I only have to work one job to pay my bills... Oh to live that life of luxury..... :mrgreen:

Rareform
Seasoned Member

Postby Rareform » Sun May 11, 2014 1:41 am

spooky wrote:Brinks said that they pay $14.60 or so and can offer between 4 and 20 hour per week as part time casual. It was also mentioned that it'd take about 2.5-3 years to potentially get a full time job with them. I think I'd have to work at my current job and pick up any hours with Brinks on the side in order to ensure that I can feed my family and pay bills.

I have a friend who works for G4S (who is now owned by Garda). He was hired a year or so ago and mentioned that he gets about $18-$20 per hour and was currently getting about 30 hours per week. Assuming that the pay is the same after Garda bought the company, this would allow me to leave my current job on good terms and then try to get as many hours as possible.

So at this point, assuming my information is correct, I'm leaning towards Garda. Without getting into the flame wars of other AT threads, can anyone give me any additional information on either company?

Interesting,I always knew that pay was dependent upon location and that Brinks paid a bit less than GardaWorld (G4S), but I didn't know it was so low for part-timers and casual. At my primary branch, with seniority, a full-time position (40 hours+) and a designated route, Guards/Drivers make $23 per hour and Messengers make $24. As for the satellites, a little bit less.
Last edited by Rareform on Mon Aug 25, 2014 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Special Constable
“Always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself.”

Officerswife
Rookie Member

Postby Officerswife » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:27 am

mack_silent wrote:
spooky wrote:My heart is set on policing and I'm trying to get a new job that has more responsibility, shift work, pays better, etc. I think this is a good next step.

If you heart is set on policing, then review the core competencies of your local police service and ask if you will gain those skills through a job with Brinks.

If you want to further your career, I would advise to look into furthering your education.
I dont know if you would be willing to relocated, but the city of calgary has a lot of positions under paladin security which can eventually can get you in as a peace officer with companies like AHS. Not sure that working for Brinks or Garda would be your best option in regards to where you want to go with your career.