Dash cams

Discussion about computer hardware, software, or any other tech equipment, including innovations and ideas.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Kieran Huggins

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Dash cams

Postby meathead1 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:57 pm

I'm not talking about them in cruisers.
Does anyone have one in their own car? Or in a work vehicle (Wayne)? I've been tossing around the idea about getting one for my own vehicle for a while, but don't know the square root of zero about them.
Anyone have any suggestions?
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

BROVO26
Grand Poobah

Re: Dash cams

Postby BROVO26 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:41 pm

Yes I do, can be very helpful at times. Pm me if you wish.
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Tango5
King Poobah

Postby Tango5 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 pm

No experience with any here but I checked the net, they seem pricey. The so called; "good ones" > at $500.00 88)
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:09 am

:wave:

Of course I do!

For a many years I used a small (almost toy like) Panasonic Camcorder up until the middle of last year... Then I got an ITRONICS ITB-100HD for my Birthday from my friend who's a boy... He's pretty heavy into tech stuffs, did alot of research, and found it to be one of the better devices out there... He got it off that online auction site directly from the source (South Korea), then I got myself another for my own personal vehicle from CARiD in NJ which at that time had a sale on and was cheaper, but it appears as if the online auction site has the best deals at this moment.

You can take a boo at the video quality on my last 4 videos on my >>> YOUTUBE <<< channel. I've got it mounted up near the top of my windshield in the Flatbed at the moment, sometimes it gets a little dirty up there, but it needs to be out of sight because the US Border folks get all bent out of shape if they see a camera... I plan on mounting it in a better location in our new Freightliner coming soon! 8)
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

basketcase
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby basketcase » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:18 am

I think there's a mirror mount available for the Go Pro. Lots of them on Kijiji (go pros).
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Sat Mar 08, 2014 11:39 am

They are a great investment, especially if you live in a city with crazy drivers.

There are base units for 50$.
For 150-250$ you can get a solid 1080p HD unit off amazon.
If youd like the model / brand of some of them, send a PM
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Angerman
Rookie Member

Postby Angerman » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:40 pm

I have generic ones in both my cars - I went with the model that clips on over the rear view mirror (this keeps the clutter down, and the dashcam looks less like a GPS or something a random shithead might think was worth cracking the car open to steal). Only shortcoming is you lose the ability to flick the rearview mirror when captain "mis-aligned headlights" is climbing up your posterior.

$50-60 shipped from the pacific rim. Takes a 16GB card and keeps the last three hours of footage on file in 5 minute clips, and then starts recording over itself. Powered by a cigarette lighter plug that turns the unit on when you start the car and off when you turn it off.

There are much more expensive options, but this does the job for us. The more expensive units have bluetooth connections so you can review video with your smartphone, and any sudden "shock" or "jar" to the car will start the recorder going so that mischief or parking lot bumps "may" be recorded as well.

$50 is fine for me.

Gardenfit
King Poobah

Postby Gardenfit » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:01 pm

meathead1 wrote:I'm not talking about them in cruisers.
Does anyone have one in their own car? Or in a work vehicle (Wayne)? I've been tossing around the idea about getting one for my own vehicle for a while, but don't know the square root of zero about them.
I'll be keeping a close eye on Liveleak if this happens..!

mack_silent
King Poobah

Postby mack_silent » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:43 pm

If anyone is wondering why dash cams are a great idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJjDLnZ5ZA

Apparently in some parts of Russia, it is legislated / mandatory that all drivers have dash cams, which leads to these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:53 pm

mack_silent wrote:If anyone is wondering why dash cams are a great idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZJjDLnZ5ZA

Apparently in some parts of Russia, it is legislated / mandatory that all drivers have dash cams, which leads to these videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itMdLTd1l4E
It was that clip out of TO that got me thinking about dash cams a while back. Toronto is full of scammers.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:30 am

This channel >>> HERE <<< always has good collections of videos from Mother Russia.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

AnthonyK
Seasoned Member

Dash Cam (personal vehicle)

Postby AnthonyK » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:22 am

Anyone using a dash camera in their personal vehicles?
A couple friends are using them, but image quality leaves a bit to be desired. They seem pretty popular with all the crazy traffic accidents and erratic driving in Europe!

If anyone is using it, please post models/brands. Thanks!

AHP309
Grand Poobah

Re: Dash Cam (personal vehicle)

Postby AHP309 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:09 am

Would be interesting to know what kind of dash cam was in this vehicle....video quality is excellent!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_0yoTu7Z-E

meathead1
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby meathead1 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 1:34 pm

Gardenfit wrote:
meathead1 wrote:I'm not talking about them in cruisers.
I'll be keeping a close eye on Liveleak if this happens..!
Mate, I'll let you know first if I capture anything LL worthy!

Wayne, thanks for the info but the one you have is a bit too pricey for what I'm looking for. Some of the other guys have sent me good links to some, but I'm a bit wary of getting one from China, especially when it's electronic. I don't feel like getting screwed over with a fake.

I found a company in the TO that sells some decent ones, might just go with them. A bit more expensive than on E-Bay but at least if something goes wrong, it's local and would be easy enough to deal with.

ryan.p
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby ryan.p » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:38 pm

I have a DOD LS300W in my personal vehicle. After seeing that mainstream fraud on the 401 where a car reversed into a fully stopped vehicle and than attempted to extort the driver, I decided to spend a few bucks and help protect myself and my wife.

I love this cam. After much online research, it was the best cam under $150 that I could find based on user review. Full 1080p and great low light performance.

Below is a picture of my install. I'm kind of an electronics hobbyist and wanted a clean install (no cigarette lighter adapter with wires hanging down). I ran the cable cleanly up behind my roof console and tied it into my rear view mirror power. When the car comes on, the mirror comes on, hence the camera starts. Same with when we turn the car off.

| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |