S&W 5946 R.I.P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Re: S&W 5946 R.I.P

Postby wicked_police » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:16 pm

SPC wrote:It would also make sense for them to carry the 5946 when they are on GD. Ammo is interchangeable with all the other ammo in the detachment, on other guys' hips etc.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :P

But unlike some municipal forces, we only use 9mm for all sections and units.

CBR600F4i
Seasoned Member

Postby CBR600F4i » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:16 am

wicked_police wrote:Last I heard, the Sig was close to being approved but hadn't been signed off.

I'll trade my 5946 for a Sig Sauer in a heartbeat. I like the Smith & Wesson mind you, but would much prefer a Sig Sauer in .40 caliber.

IMthePheonix
Sage Member

Postby IMthePheonix » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:39 pm

Our Sig's are at the border, waiting for Homeland Security to approve the crossing. :drool:
Strippers have $1's, Waitresses have $5's, Drug dealers have $20s. Smurfette_76 on O.com

SPC
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby SPC » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:37 pm

wicked_police wrote:
SPC wrote:It would also make sense for them to carry the 5946 when they are on GD. Ammo is interchangeable with all the other ammo in the detachment, on other guys' hips etc.

Thanks Wicked...I guess if they did keep the SIGs for GD, which you have already said they won't, it wouldn't be "toss me a mag" it would be "toss me a handful of ammo" :pistols:
"When we act on behalf of others, we have no moral authority to forgive on their behalf, to allow evil for the sake of tolerance, or to turn the cheek of anyone but ourselves."

wicked_police
Grand Poobah

Postby wicked_police » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:00 pm

SPC wrote:
wicked_police wrote:

Thanks Wicked...I guess if they did keep the SIGs for GD, which you have already said they won't, it wouldn't be "toss me a mag" it would be "toss me a handful of ammo" :pistols:

Yup. And there'd be no end of problems with that scenario!!

macguy9
Seasoned Member

Postby macguy9 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:in a military application the Pistol is a secondary weapon to your C7/C8 or whatever you carry as a long gun.

LOL

Flashback to two great lines from my RFT trainer, who was a CF engineer in his life before the force:

On long range shooting and the 25M stage... :pistols:
"Pistols are not great long range weapons. They are, on the other hand, fantastic should you need to get into a gunfight in a f&*#(@& elevator car."

and...
On a pistol's role in combat... :sniper:
"Pfft. A pistol is that heavy weight you resort to on your hip when you drop the rifle you should have had a better grip on in the first damn place!"

:thumbsup:

Borderwatchman
Grand Poobah

Postby Borderwatchman » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:07 pm

I fired the Px4 and hated the really long trigger pull. But I got used to it. I think it's rather decent. If I had my wish I'd either go HK or S&W MP9!!

imascott
Rookie Member

Postby imascott » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:57 pm

B.C. Sheriffs just made the switch to M&P 9 from the 5946. Having shot and competed with the old 5946, there are a few drawbacks to the changeover.

The 5946 is very accurate. At 15 meters, some officers are telling me that their initial grouping gets better with the 5946; coming from the M&P 9. Maybe this is because the steel is unyielding or because you have to grip the chunk so tight to pull the trigger back.

It is super durable. Run the cheapest ammo you want through it and you won't have a problem. At least I never did.

Field stripping is very easy.

It is heavy, but If you can't shoot the guy, a good pistol whip will do the same damage.

I will miss the work-out my hands get from shooting that gun.

But I think the combination of the polymer grip, with much of the hybrid characteristics between a glock and the 5946 makes the M&P 9 the wave of the future. :pistols:
Sometimes... you get on here, and just know, you're dealing with "that guy." All your efforts to be, and sound reasonable, are useless. And there are a lot of those guys on blueline.

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:46 pm

Well, the good news is that you guys can sell the old ones to Mounties for more spare parts. :P

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:26 pm

El Conejo wrote:Well, the good news is that you guys can sell the old ones to Mounties for more spare parts. :P

Nice thread revival lol. Any updates?

El Conejo
Grand Poobah

Postby El Conejo » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:23 am

Actually the revival came the thread before mine. I just popped in to provide nothing more constructive than scorn for the federal bureaucracy masked as gentle teasing.

ODIN
Veteran Member

Postby ODIN » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:30 pm

I currently carry the H&K P2000, love it. We use the safariland als raptor and its fantastic. I was never a big H&K fan I had shot a few and preferred Sig, but I have changed my opinion. Easy to shoot, great sights, comfortable to wear. I have shot the M&P,glock 17 and 22, 5946,Px4, I like the glock but thats it out of that bunch. For duty weapons,my pref is now SIG and H&K. As for carbines, I just qualified on our new C8 IUR, and its great rifle. One thing I dont like about the P2000 is the internal mag safety. I dont like that on any duty pistol. :pistols:
CTP-22

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:18 pm

ODIN wrote:I currently carry the H&K P2000, love it. We use the safariland als raptor and its fantastic. I was never a big H&K fan I had shot a few and preferred Sig, but I have changed my opinion. Easy to shoot, great sights, comfortable to wear. I have shot the M&P,glock 17 and 22, 5946,Px4, I like the glock but thats it out of that bunch. For duty weapons,my pref is now SIG and H&K. As for carbines, I just qualified on our new C8 IUR, and its great rifle. One thing I dont like about the P2000 is the internal mag safety. I dont like that on any duty pistol. :pistols:

Csc uses the Safariland 6360 STX Tactical als.

Rookie Member

Postby 366 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:44 pm

Right now the only thing the mounties have to look forward to is a new holster. So, I would guess that if they have decided to buy holsters, we can look forward to our boat anchors for another 10 years at least! Too many people in charge who remember the march west............................................

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:33 am

366 wrote:Right now the only thing the mounties have to look forward to is a new holster. So, I would guess that if they have decided to buy holsters, we can look forward to our boat anchors for another 10 years at least! Too many people in charge who remember the march west............................................

I'd be surprised if a holster maker came up with a new duty holster for this old gun.