Nice job your Honour...

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
User avatar
basketcase
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 3430
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby basketcase » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:21 am

gotchya wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:One could argue that the manner in which this played out from the judge's standpoint was designed to provoke a response, but at the end of the day, her decorum and lack of respect for the bench was the enabling factor. She chose not to be serious, and chose to treat the judge with disrespect (had she said, "Thank you, your honour, good day!" this would not have made the news). Her choice of "Adios" is what got her into trouble.

But again what is rude and distasteful is not nessisarily illegal.


Contempt of court is illegal. Contempt of court is being rude and distasteful. Therefore being rude and distasteful is illegal.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

User avatar
patcormier
Veteran Member
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:41 pm
Location: Greater Montreal Area
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby patcormier » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:31 am

Maybe my ears are playing tricks on me... But he seemed like a judge of Latino heritage... IMO the 'adios' was said mockingly in regards to his heritage...

One can debate wether she would have said all that crap had she been sober... But it wasn't the case ... So fuck her and fuck her junkie lifestyle ... She can take her lumps and move on....
Raising YOUR kids since 2004 ...

User avatar
Madeline236
Grand Poobah
Posts: 559
Joined: Sun May 03, 2009 11:53 am
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby Madeline236 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:49 am

basketcase wrote:
gotchya wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:One could argue that the manner in which this played out from the judge's standpoint was designed to provoke a response, but at the end of the day, her decorum and lack of respect for the bench was the enabling factor. She chose not to be serious, and chose to treat the judge with disrespect (had she said, "Thank you, your honour, good day!" this would not have made the news). Her choice of "Adios" is what got her into trouble.

But again what is rude and distasteful is not nessisarily illegal.


Contempt of court is illegal. Contempt of court is being rude and distasteful. Therefore being rude and distasteful is illegal.


That logic seems straight forward to me. I'm surprised there is any debate over it. Even before the Adios, her behavior was not taking the process seriously. The dismissive Adios (little giggle as she walked away) just topped it off.

She looks jail hot, I'm sure someone will take her under her wing for those 30 days.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby gotchya » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:30 pm

SupahDuck wrote:The bail increase was at his discretion, and the finger was clearly contempt. Again, his discretion, his court. Not sure why we're even arguing this. :nono:

In the Canadian context, I don't believe the amount of bail is discretionary, I believe it is fixed to ensure compliance.

With regards to discretion, discretion is not untrammeled or unlimited, certainly a judge couldn't raise bail because of the colour of one's skin or the country for which they were born. Sure there is discretion, but discretion has to be exercised within the objectives of the Act and must withstand some probing as to the rationality of it, and how reasonable connected it has with the objectives of the Act.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

User avatar
SupahDuck
King Poobah
Posts: 1826
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:44 pm
Location: Kingston, Ontario

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby SupahDuck » Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm

gotchya wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:The bail increase was at his discretion, and the finger was clearly contempt. Again, his discretion, his court. Not sure why we're even arguing this. :nono:

In the Canadian context, I don't believe the amount of bail is discretionary, I believe it is fixed to ensure compliance.

With regards to discretion, discretion is not untrammeled or unlimited, certainly a judge couldn't raise bail because of the colour of one's skin or the country for which they were born. Sure there is discretion, but discretion has to be exercised within the objectives of the Act and must withstand some probing as to the rationality of it, and how reasonable connected it has with the objectives of the Act.


And again, I'm not sure why we're even arguing this, seeing as the court in question is in ***FLORIDA***. :nono: There is NO Canadian context to this story, so why even bother? :ponder:

If you ever find yourself in a Florida courtroom facing Miami-Dade Circuit Judge Jorge Rodriguez-Chomat, don't give him any lip — and certainly don't flip him the bird. Penelope Soto, 18, who was arrested for drug possession, learned that Monday, when she irritated the judge with her insouciant attitude — flipping her hair, laughing derisively, dodging questions. Miffed, the judge slapped Soto with a $5,000 fine and bid her "bye-bye." Soto laughed and responded, "Adios," so he upped her fine to $10,000. "Are you serious?" the teen asked. "I am serious. Adios," said the judge. Soto gave him the finger, at which point he sentenced her to 30 days in jail for contempt of court. And yes, he was serious.


http://now.msn.com/penelope-soto-florid ... the-finger
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

User avatar
48highlander
Rookie Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Sat Jul 23, 2005 11:44 am
Location: Kabul

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby 48highlander » Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:48 pm

SupahDuck wrote:
And again, I'm not sure why we're even arguing this, seeing as the court in question is in ***FLORIDA***. :nono: There is NO Canadian context to this story, so why even bother? :ponder:


Because gotchya likes to argue black is blue, and apparently is well versed in American court proceeding and the criminal/common law that goes with them. :?

Chuk750
Regular Member
Posts: 119
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:06 pm
Location: Alberta
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby Chuk750 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:30 pm

I do not comprehend what the quandary is. Gotchya is merely imparting his assessment based on his particularized discernment. Reminiscent of what the venerated judge did.
However in this occurrence I would deem it safe to infer, much like another thread, individuals should concur to be dissimilar. :?


PS The bitch got what she deserved, good on the judge for having the balls to do it!
The best victory is when the opponent surrenders of its own accord before there are any actual hostilities...It is best to win without fighting.
Sun-tzu

User avatar
Shawshank
Regular Member
Posts: 73
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:06 am
Location: Ottawa
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby Shawshank » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

Chuk750 wrote:
PS The bitch got what she deserved, good on the judge for having the balls to do it!


I would like to think that she learned something about respect from this, but I would bet strongly against it.
K division.

User avatar
El Conejo
Grand Poobah
Posts: 574
Joined: Thu Dec 18, 2003 4:30 am
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby El Conejo » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:08 pm

Chuk750 wrote:I do not comprehend what the quandary is. Gotchya is merely imparting his assessment based on his particularized discernment. Reminiscent of what the venerated judge did.
However in this occurrence I would deem it safe to infer, much like another thread, individuals should concur to be dissimilar. :?


Image

well played.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby gotchya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:22 am

basketcase wrote:Contempt of court is illegal. Contempt of court is being rude and distasteful. Therefore being rude and distasteful is illegal.

So shall I round up all the members of Blueline who constantly ridicule our justice system and the judges that administer it?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby gotchya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 3:24 am

48highlander wrote:\Because gotchya likes to argue black is blue, and apparently is well versed in American court proceeding and the criminal/common law that goes with them. :?

I was actually arguing I don't think you'd see this in Canada, hence the preface, "in the Canadian context".
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

User avatar
To a T
Grand Poobah
Posts: 739
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby To a T » Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:17 am

:roll:
Last edited by To a T on Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
gotchya
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:37 pm
Location: 10-20
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby gotchya » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:16 am

To a T wrote:
gotchya wrote:
basketcase wrote:Contempt of court is illegal. Contempt of court is being rude and distasteful. Therefore being rude and distasteful is illegal.

So shall I round up all the members of Blueline who constantly ridicule our justice system and the judges that administer it?


There is a major difference between both and how you draw a nexus between them is beyond logic. Within a COURTROOM during a proceeding, what the accused did in this matter is unlawful - Contempt of COURT. Discussing court cases and rulings in a police & law enforcement forum is not.

You misunderstand Contempt of Court, it is an "offence" which largely occurs outside the courtroom, namely by refusing to comply with lawful orders.
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."-Burke, Edmund
ImageImage

johnq
Regular Member
Posts: 62
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:30 pm
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby johnq » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:43 am

nevermind

User avatar
Bubbles1993
Regular Member
Posts: 106
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:57 pm
Location: NS
Contact:

Re: Nice job your Honour...

Postby Bubbles1993 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:09 am

johnq wrote:nevermind


I was going to comment as well.

Instead, adios.
To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable.

- Oscar Wilde


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests