2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Discussion, ideas and thoughts on police vehicles.
FedCO
King Poobah

Re: 2013 Ford Interceptor & Utility

Postby FedCO » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:37 pm

mark y wrote:
FedCO wrote:Hopefully RCMP will go for the 3.7L AWD Sedans. Best Combo unless you want max HP. I am glad Ford has given the option for the 3.7L. over 300HP with the AWD will work wonderfully.

It looks like Ford is going to probably drop the 3.5L engine next year, and just make everything with the 3.7L. I got to drive the 3.7L engines (normal and Ecoboost, both with AWD) last week on a test track. Drove the snot out of them and they're pretty impressive. We also got to drive the Utility Interceptor, and while it is 500lbs heavier than the sedan, it still goes pretty well.

All of the vehicles handled about the same, with notable understeer at moderate speed sweeping corners. I was surprised at the understeer, given the AWD and traction control, but it was smooth and predictable. We were going into the corners at a reasonable speed with no understeer, but could invoke it just by gradually laying on more throttle. That kind of surprised me as I thought the traction control would have taken care of that. It was enough that I killed a couple cones the first time I tried it.

The acceleration of the 3.7L was very good, though when you get out of the 3.7L and jump into the Ecoboost 3.7L, there is a dramatic difference, primarily in the massive torque right off idle. Where we were getting the NA (non ecoboost) model to about 55mph from a standing start on the fairly short front straight, before braking for a hard left, the Ecoboost was doing 70mph in the same stretch.

One of the guys rode shotgun with me and had his cell phone recording the one loop in the ecoboost. If I can get it online, I'll link it here.

The eco boost is a 3.5l but good to see the reg 3.5 is done and that standard engine is the 3.7 now.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:13 am

mark y wrote:I was surprised at the understeer, given the AWD and traction control, but it was smooth and predictable. We were going into the corners at a reasonable speed with no understeer, but could invoke it just by gradually laying on more throttle. That kind of surprised me as I thought the traction control would have taken care of that. It was enough that I killed a couple cones the first time I tried it.

I think a NASCAR driver once said that you could put racing stripes on a pig, but it was still a pig.

Both Fords are built on FWD-based economy sedans, no matter how you dress them up and try to take them out to dinner, AWD notwithstanding.

I think this is why so many folks have liked them when they drove them because they have not yet pushed them to their limits and knocked a few cones around.

We are still waiting to test the Fords here at Blue Line but for some reason, Ford is not too eager to get us behind the wheel. Maybe they are afraid we will test them to their limits and write honestly about them?

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:20 am

Dave Brown wrote:
mark y wrote:I was surprised at the understeer, given the AWD and traction control, but it was smooth and predictable. We were going into the corners at a reasonable speed with no understeer, but could invoke it just by gradually laying on more throttle. That kind of surprised me as I thought the traction control would have taken care of that. It was enough that I killed a couple cones the first time I tried it.

I think a NASCAR driver once said that you could put racing stripes on a pig, but it was still a pig.

Both Fords are built on FWD-based economy sedans, no matter how you dress them up and try to take them out to dinner, AWD notwithstanding.

I think this is why so many folks have liked them when they drove them because they have not yet pushed them to their limits and knocked a few cones around.

We are still waiting to test the Fords here at Blue Line but for some reason, Ford is not too eager to get us behind the wheel. Maybe they are afraid we will test them to their limits and write honestly about them?

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nothing beats RWD and Full frame. I hope you guys get to test these or find another way to test them. Because Im pretty sure these were not fully developed to be police vehicles, no matter what Ford says. Sure they strengthened the chassis and etc. But I wish they would of just updated the vic. Nothing wrong with it. Put the 5.0L in it from the Mustang or even F150. Do some other stuff and boom.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Dave Brown wrote:We are still waiting to test the Fords here at Blue Line but for some reason, Ford is not too eager to get us behind the wheel. Maybe they are afraid we will test them to their limits and write honestly about them?

Dave,

You should have come to CopsWest last week. :) Put it on your calendar for next year.

As far as the Fords, we certainly pushed them to (and past) their limits as far as cornering and acceleration goes. We didn't have much opportunity to test full braking limits but from what I did, it's pretty good (not fantastic, but pretty good). Keep in mind the cars had been running full-blast non-stop on the track for 4 hours by the time I got there (in 100 degree weather), so the brakes and tires were more than warmed up. The front doors were covered in brake dust.

I've driven Crown Vics in similar situations,including police driver training courses, and the new sedan handled way better and braking was far superior. The new sedan, even the NA 3.7, was better in every way in terms of performance. The Ecoboost was just fantastic from a standing start. That said, we did not get an opportunity to back up with them, like we did with the Dodge, and there was no gear in/on the cars. I fit fine in the car (6'4", 220lbs) but that's without a computer in the car, and we were in shorts and t-shirts, not winter jackets and gun belts and boots.

The Dodge course was much tighter and we didn't get to run it up past probably 40-50mph, but included a station that you had to reverse into a stop box. They had the course timed and there were evaluators at each stop box and would ding you 5 seconds for a stop box violation or a cone hit. It was tighter and much more of a precision driving course, whereas the Ford track was more high speed sweepers and slaloms.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:21 pm

FedCO wrote:...But I wish they would of just updated the vic. Nothing wrong with it. Put the 5.0L in it from the Mustang or even F150. Do some other stuff and boom.

The engine wasn't the issue. The chassis wouldn't meet the new roof crush standards that the government requires. Ford said it was going to cost something like $350million to completely redesign the car to meet that. Plus, they only made about 50K Crown Vics per year so there wasn't enough volume to keep a full assembly plant going just for that car. Anyway, the CV is dead so the argument is all academic.

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:24 pm

FedCO wrote:The eco boost is a 3.5l....

Yes, you're correct - sorry, too many numbers for me :)

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:34 pm

I will be very glad to see the last of the Crown Vics. Worst handling car on the road, at least in crappy weather.

Send 'em all to the scrapyard.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:36 pm

Mongo wrote:I will be very glad to see the last of the Crown Vics. Worst handling car on the road, at least in crappy weather.

Send 'em all to the scrapyard.

I'll second this. Anybody who's driven one in a policing capacity knows that they're garbage. Same goes for the Tahoe. Two of the worst handling vehicles for policing ever.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Mark S
Poobah Overlord

Postby Mark S » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:52 pm

Well the only thing I can compare it to was an Impala. I'd sooner walk than drive another Impala for work. I thought the Crown Vics were great.
Welcome to Winnipeg. We were born here, what's your excuse?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:54 pm

Blasphemers and heretics, the pair of you (not you Mark, you posted as I was typing)! I've driven them since 1999 and written off two of them and almost a third, and walked away every time. The only injury suffered was a gash on my holster when I got T-boned and it hit the centre console. I don't know how successful I'd be in these new vehicles. 
Last edited by No 20 Year Medal on Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

Mongo
Veteran Member

Postby Mongo » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

No 20 Year Medal wrote: I don't know how successful I'd be in these new vehicles. 

No, neither do I. But I don't automatically assume how much worse off I'd be, and I've been driving the blasted things nearly as long as you. To each their own I guess, I've just grown to hate 'em.

Keep in mind, I didn't mind them nearly so much when I policed a large urban area. Now that I'm patrolling the (relative) wildreness I realize they are simply the worst. I'd sooner take out a Yugo.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:02 pm

Handling-wise the Charger was the best car I've driven. Impala. Garbage. I'll give you that the CV equals survival more often than not when it comes to collision stats though.
OFFICER OF THE LAW

mark y
Rookie Member

Postby mark y » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:14 pm

On the track last week, I thought the Fords were a bit more predictable and precise than the Charger, but I wasn't driving them on identical tracks so it may have just been the environment. The Charger understeered on aggressive tight corners, too, but that's just a safety thing they design into the cars so it wasn't a big surprise.

I'm looking forward to the AWD Charger coming out next model year. It'll be primarily a RWD car but will add power to the front wheels when required. It could be interesting if done right. I haven't driven their civilian AWD charger before so I don't know how good (or not) the system is.

basketcase
Poobah Overlord

Postby basketcase » Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:20 pm

The Charger might have had the best handling because it was always in the shop getting new parts though. It's like it was a dodge....oh wait ;) lol
OFFICER OF THE LAW

Alberta Blue
Sage Member

Postby Alberta Blue » Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:05 pm

FedCO wrote:. But I wish they would of just updated the vic. Nothing wrong with it. Put the 5.0L in it from the Mustang or even F150. Do some other stuff and boom.

I have to disagree with you here. The problem is you can't just drop in a new engine or "do some other stuff". The design of the vehicle is old and outdated.

The Crown Vics are stable, yes, on dry pavement. Very difficult to put into yaw and are very forgiving when it comes to over steering/braking/accelerating.

However, they don't do particularly well in rollovers and they handle like crap in the winter. The safety systems are outdated - there have been no significant improvements made since the early 2000's. When every passenger vehicle in Canada today is being sold with 6 (or more) air bags, Police Officers deserve the same level of protection.

I understand that many of us have been in crashes in their Vic's, and yes, the Vic can take a pounding. However, there is absolutely no evidence that shows the new Interceptor is inferior in a crash. Most likely, the vehicle itself will fare worse in a crash but the engineered life space is likely far better protected.

I suspect that when the Crown Vic replaced the Caprice as the vehicle of choice for most departmnets, many of these same comments were floated. The bottom line is that many people don't like change. 5 years from now most of us are going to be saying "Crown what"?