Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
ResMP
Rookie Member

Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby ResMP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:16 pm

Hello everyone,

I just want to get the word out that 1 Military Police Regiment is recruiting Reserve Members immediately. The Military Police Reserve offers a flexible and unique employment opportunity for Law Enforcement minded people.

We employ current and retired police officers, students in High School and University, private business owners, as well as those who work in the private sector. Our ranks consist of a very diverse group of people who are attracted to policing and life in the Military. There are opportunities for full time employment domestically as well as abroad. Many of our members have deployed internationally, and a majority of our ranks have served in Afghanistan. The Reserve Military Police offers significant opportunities for those who want more from a part time job. Many of our members have been able to use their employment with the MP Reserve to garner life experience and financial resources to bolster their applications for other Law Enforcement opportunities.

Our recently revised qualifications are:

1. 18 yrs of Age
2. Enrolled in Grade 12
3. Drives Licence
4. Good Character and morale attributes

Officer candidates are required to be enrolled in or completed a University Degree Program at the time of application as well as meeting the noted qualifications.

I invite any questions or comments. Also I would ask that if you know anyone that may be interested in joining the Military Police as a Reservist to visit this thread or to e-mail me directly: jason.forbes@forces.gc.ca

Looking forward to hearing from you!
Last edited by ResMP on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

OC15MP
Rookie Member

Re: Western Canadian Military Police Reserve Recruiting

Postby OC15MP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:58 pm

I Have been involved with there Army Reserve for 20 years from 1982 to 1992 and from 2003 to present. I am also a 25 year veteran of the Winnipeg Police Service. I consider myself to fortunate to have had two careers that people can only dream about.

For anyone wishing to make a positive impact on their own future, or the life path of others, joining an organization such as ours is the way to do it. Through the military I have changed the world for many soldiers, and have met and worked with this nations finest citizens. I have served in Canada and in Afghanistan. I believe in what I do to point that I would be proud and reassured to see my children also serve as I have.

I believe that my opportunity to become a civilian police officer 25 years ago was made possible by my decision to join the Army Reserve in 1982.

There are openings in my platoons located at Winnipeg, Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, and Victoria. I need non-commissioned members, and commissioned officers.

Creating a future is about seizing opportunities and building relationships. Don't miss this chance!

Steve Bowen
Officer Commanding
15 Military Police Company

meathead1
Poobah Overlord

Postby meathead1 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:29 pm

Guys
You should probably point out to everyone that a position as a Res MP is usually not a law enforcement position. There are some exceptions to this but they are usually Reg Force members who retire and come back on a contract as a badge carrying member.
When things get bad, I take comfort in knowing they could always be worse.
When things get worse, I take comfort in knowing they can only get better.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:11 pm

Thanks for the post Meathead1. While the mandate of the Reserve Military Police generally lies in the realm of the "Field" the Branch has utilized, and is currently utilizing Reserve Military Police in policing roles.

For example our members have conducted policing duties in Afghanistan, Bosnia, Croatia, Kosovo and reserve members have filled policing positions at CFB Edmonton (indecently those members went on to transfer to the Regular Force Military Police). There is currently a program underway to train reservists to meet Regular Force Qualifications. Recently 2 reserve members from 1 MP Regt graduated from the Regular Force QL3 and are eligible under the Military Police Branch Policy to conduct policing operations.

I would also like to stress that many of our past and current members lead successful careers with Municipal Police Agencies and are currently employed in variety of different roles within those agencies. We have current and former members that are employed as Police Bomb Technicians, Tactical/ERT operators, Police Snipers, Federal Fisheries Officers, Duty Officers and a host that are assigned to traffic and general duties.

In short, yes there is an opportunity to conduct police duties within the Military. While the Reserve Military Police is not centered around traditional policing duties our members do and have taken part in a host of traditional MP related tasks such as Close Protection, Intelligence, Field Platoons, Training roles

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:32 pm

Perhaps some elaboration on the initiative to badge some reservists would be in order? Any recruits you attract here are likely to be more interested in that side of things. A realistic appraisal of the career path an entry level in Reserve military policing and how (and after how long) they may then take that into badged peace officer duties will help those who are considering it.

The difference between reserve and reg military policing is something that most civilians are not likely to be able to easily discern...

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Do you have to go overseas with the reserves, or can you stay within different bases in Canada?

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:58 pm

Matt_YRP wrote:Do you have to go overseas with the reserves, or can you stay within different bases in Canada?

There is a mechanism by which the government can compel reservists to serve full time, but it has not been used since the Second World War. Many of us have deployed overseas; all of us voluntarily. Towards the end of our involvement in the war in Afghanistan our deployments were nearly 20% reservists. However in the normal course of things reservists serve only at home in Canada, mostly part time, and that is the realistic expectation. Reserve units are for the most part based in communities, and not at the major bases.

With that said, if you have no desire or intent to serve overseas if the opportunity arises, don't waste our time walking through the door of a recruiting centre. Getting into the military is hard enough; we neither need nor desire people in the reserves who don't want to do the job for real if the times comes. It would be like a guy who applies for the police and doesn't want to ever do patrol.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:15 pm

brihard wrote:Perhaps some elaboration on the initiative to badge some reservists would be in order? Any recruits you attract here are likely to be more interested in that side of things. A realistic appraisal of the career path an entry level in Reserve military policing and how (and after how long) they may then take that into badged peace officer duties will help those who are considering it.

The difference between reserve and reg military policing is something that most civilians are not likely to be able to easily discern...

Thanks for the question.

Much of what happens is directly determined by the Reservist and their professional and personal circumstances. Those who vigorously pursue certain paths within Military Police will obviously going to be more successful in their endeavors.

At present 1 MP Regt would like to swear in 40 members by March 2013. In order for this to occur, potential recruits will have to move through the recruiting administrative process. Once recruits have undergone this phase we can move to load them on the appropriate courses which consist of entry level military training (including driver training). It is our intent is to have our newest recruits conduct Qualification Training during the summer of 2013. Once this training is completed, trained reserve MPs can begin pursuing their career paths or employment opportunities. In so far as the applicant is willing to meet all of the requirements, we will certainly do everything we can to get them through the process.

Generally mature productive soldiers are recommended to take part in the Regular Force Equivalency Training. The vast majority (99%) of policing operations is conducted by the Regular Force.

During my 21 years as a Military Police Reservist, I have conducted, field operations, Close Protection Operations, OPs and Training, and yes policing operations.

As for the initiative to badge reservists - you need to get in, get trained, get some experience, and get recommended by the Chain of Command. The badge initiative is new. The first class graduated last week.

Like every other Agency on this Forum you need to work hard if you want to get where you are going.

I hope this helps. Please keep the questions coming.
Last edited by ResMP on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:16 pm

Matt_YRP wrote:Do you have to go overseas with the reserves, or can you stay within different bases in Canada?

Going overseas is at the discretion of the reservist.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:17 pm

brihard wrote:

There is a mechanism by which the government can compel reservists to serve full time, but it has not been used since the Second World War. Many of us have deployed overseas; all of us voluntarily. Towards the end of our involvement in the war in Afghanistan our deployments were nearly 20% reservists. However in the normal course of things reservists serve only at home in Canada, mostly part time, and that is the realistic expectation. Reserve units are for the most part based in communities, and not at the major bases.

With that said, if you have no desire or intent to serve overseas if the opportunity arises, don't waste our time walking through the door of a recruiting centre. Getting into the military is hard enough; we neither need nor desire people in the reserves who don't want to do the job for real if the times comes. It would be like a guy who applies for the police and doesn't want to ever do patrol.

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for wasting your time with a question on a forum. I was not saying I would not go overseas, nor do I see it written anywhere in my question. I was simply asking because I know of people within the MP who have not gone overseas, and said they haven't so far in their career.

Thanks for the info though good stuff.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:18 pm

ResMP wrote:

Going overseas is at the discretion of the reservist.

Thanks ResMP. That's all I wanted to know.

ResMP
Rookie Member

Postby ResMP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:22 pm

brihard wrote:

1 MP Regt is simply recruiting people who are interested in serving their country. Whether that be domestically, or abroad it is at the discretion of the reservist. Soldiers that contribute at home are critical to our operational effectiveness.

brihard
Rookie Member

Postby brihard » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:30 pm

Matt_YRP wrote:
brihard wrote:

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry for wasting your time with a question on a forum. I was not saying I would not go overseas, nor do I see it written anywhere in my question. I was simply asking because I know of people within the MP who have not gone overseas, and said they haven't so far in their career.

Thanks for the info though good stuff.

Understood, and perhaps more presumption came across in my reply than was intended- my apologies. It was for the benefit of *anyone* who reads this thread, not necessarily you yourself. Obviously only know know what you would be willing/intending to do. I know several reserve MPs who were overseas either on my tour or on others. My perception of the reserve MP world is that, like anywhere else in the reserves, there's a credibility handicap borne by those who've passed up chances to deploy at least once.

Opportunities to deploy are not always there and that isn't and shouldn't be held against anyone. Service at home is just as critical as overseas, as it is here that we build the foundation of our warfighting ability. It should also be understood though that when the call *does* come for volunteers there will be those who answer and those who do not, and that everyone will know the difference. That is something that a potential applicant to the reserves should have their eyes open to.

One of the hats I wear is recruiting for my reserve unit, and I have a very firm opinion of what attitudes I like to see entering into the forces. It's simply something specific that I'll comment on whenever given the chance. I believe those considering the job deserve a fair chance to realize what is not just formally expected, but what the ground truth is as well about how we view our job and people who wish to enter it. I'm not an MP though- so don't take what I say as gospel for that trade.

Matt_YRP
Rookie Member

Postby Matt_YRP » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:49 pm

No need to apologize. It's hard to interpret at rimes how one words things on a forum. I get what you are saying about not wasting recruiting time. I've seen it happen in both Military, and Police.

Inspir
Veteran Member

Postby Inspir » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:00 am

ResMP,

Maybe you can clarify for me, but I was under the impression that the reserve military police have changed its recruiting standard to those of the regular force military police. eg: police foundation diploma. Has this changed or did I hear wrong?

Thanks
In memory of Peace Officer Rob Lazenby. Protector, brother, friend. Rest in Peace.