Running Help

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
MakingTheClimb
Rookie Member

Running Help

Postby MakingTheClimb » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:31 pm

Hey everyone so I have a small but yet huge problem....running...how do you make yourself just go for a run or a training run? If I have a purpose to run I am completly on it but to just lace up and kick 1.5k I cant seem to do it :banghead: What do you do to make yourself motivated to just go for a run? This is my weak point in testing and could use any help or suggestions anyone has

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Running Help

Postby devilwoman » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:52 am

Get a running partner. Runs are more enjoyable when you have someone who helps kill the time and who you can compete against (friendly competition of course).

I usually have to make sure to find a nice trail where there's some decent scenery and then I just listen to some tunes. If that all fails....I just remind myself that every year I get older and the people I have to go up against stay the same age. That usually helps motivate.
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:42 am

For me, the usual hump is getting around to putting on the gear -- once I've changed into shorts, shirt, shoes, and watch, I'm ready to go out the door. If I'm not motivated a particular day, I just say to myself I'll see how I feel if I change into the gear, usually that's all it takes.

Devilwoman was right about having a partner, it definitely gives you a feeling of runs being a commitment. I have a couple buddies, and they definitely make me feel like I'm a wuss when I get the inkling to cancel on them. If you don't have friends, go to your local Running Room, they have weekly group runs.

Another idea is to commit to a race or something. Sign up for a 5k, map out a training plan and hold yourself to it.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:15 pm

If you are just starting, you may want to look into a couch to 5k program. You can find it for the iphone and probably other smart phones. It really helped me. I am looking into the 10k program now.
K division.

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm

A cool app on your phone (iphone) can make it more enticing. Makes it a little fun to track your progress, make gaols.
!!!2008!!!

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:34 pm

fjacky wrote:A cool app on your phone (iphone) can make it more enticing. Makes it a little fun to track your progress, make gaols.

I recommend the run! Zombies.
K division.

26point2
Rookie Member

Postby 26point2 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:10 am

Shawshank wrote:
fjacky wrote:A cool app on your phone (iphone) can make it more enticing. Makes it a little fun to track your progress, make gaols.

I recommend the run! Zombies.

How about this? http://thezombierace.ca/

Funny, it's not held in Pontypool.
"Sic Itur ad Astra"
"Such is the Pathway to the Stars"

ryan.p
Rookie Member

Postby ryan.p » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:41 pm

I have the same problem as you. When I can, I just mountain bike instead of running. I find it a lot more interesting plus it gives me a pretty good workout too.
| Now on board with VanB's 5 step program |

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:20 pm

MakingTheClimb wrote:Hey everyone so I have a small but yet huge problem....running...how do you make yourself just go for a run or a training run? If I have a purpose to run I am completly on it but to just lace up and kick 1.5k I cant seem to do it :banghead: What do you do to make yourself motivated to just go for a run? This is my weak point in testing and could use any help or suggestions anyone has

Honestly, the trick for me is music. Don't know why, it just is. Find some music you really enjoy and pumps you up, I find it helps me continue on when I feel like stopping and makes me run that extra half block...

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:48 pm

opp2 wrote:honestly the trick for me...I don't run any more unless my Crossfit WOD calls for it...I hate running.

Well you aren't being much of a help are you? :P

Technobabbler
Rookie Member

Postby Technobabbler » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:16 pm

Check around for some running clinics if you need some motivation. Most of them have learn to run and 5 km clinics. It might be a couple bucks to join but it is well worth it. You'll be surrounded by people who want to help you succeed.

scott90
Rookie Member

Postby scott90 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:29 am

Grab your Ipod, Find a trail and just get out there! I know all too well that starting is the most difficult part. Once you can force yourself to get out and and get past the first set of next day stiffness and cramps it will just get easier and easier. If you keep it up eventually you will get yourself into a good routine!

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sat Jun 30, 2012 1:59 am

Just get off your ass and get out there. I hated running and some days I still hate it but I run three-five times per week in between my heavy lifting days. You need to do it.

Find a distance or a place or a goal that is right for you.

Three years ago(ish) I couldn't run 1.5mi and I embarrassed myself trying and failing to get my Fitness PIN. That motivated me then and still, to some extent, does. I run shorter than most (max would be a 5km) at a quick (for me) pace. I can run 1.5mi in 10:30 almost every time. Fastest ever was 9:59 in the fall but I have yet to repeat that.

A trick for me is to not think about if you are running slow or if you feel like you suck that day....if I am really not wanting to run I just keep thinking to myself "who cares how slow you are today just do the distance". Set a distance and do it without stopping. No matter what. Just run, whether it be fast or slow, just run the distance.

Also music. Good music. If a shitty song comes on (why do I have them on my ipod which I control!? I'll never understand how it picks the songs I DONT want to hear) I notice my pace decrease slightly....by contrast if a really good heavy song comes on then I notice I increase my pace.