Need info on "Private or Contract" Bailiffs in Ontario

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.
ACEB16
Rookie Member

Re: Need info on "Private or Contract" Bailiffs in Ontario

Postby ACEB16 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:38 pm

Not sure how Ontario might differ but here in Alberta bailiffs are peace officers.

We still work under contract for the various civil enforcement agencies and we are not government employees, but we are without question peace officers and are expected to conduct ourselves as such.

We carry Alberta Government Photo ID and a wallet badge issued by the Sheriff of Alberta. I can't imagine doing this job without having peace officer status.

For any provinces that still allow enforcement action to be carried out by private bailiffs who do not have recognized peace officer status, I say it's time to update the legislation, it creates a better / safer situation for the bailiffs as well as the general public.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:01 pm

THE ONE

Postby THE ONE » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 am

Dave Jenkins wrote:Well you didn't stay gone long! Good fucking grief! Private Bailiffs are not peace officers no matter how you try and paint it. They are nothing more than collection agents for hire. Provincially appointed Bailiffs on the other hand have peace officer status because they actually have a role in the justice/correctional system.

Private Bailiffs:
"Bailiffs are agents of the person contracting their services, not government employees or peace officers, and are prohibited from using force to seize goods or evict tenants."

Why do these Private Bailiffs require uniform anyway...they should just where a Shirt in BIG PRINT "REPO MAN NOW PAY UP".

I have seen them a few times on Housing property and but they where in dark blue shirt, dark blue tact pants and body armour, I didn't see any shoulder patches on the shirt, but they did identify themselves as Bailiffs with a civil court order and where repossessing a vehicle. They even brought in their own tow truck...it was nice and civil until, I refused to assist them to gain access to the underground garage.

Well whatever...they are just repo man that have a civil court order to repossess a item from a citizen, that has failed to make payments. So NO PEACE OFFICER STATUS is required for these men/women.
"One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful." - Sun Tzu

“You can beat the rap but you can’t beat the ride.”

THE ONE

Postby THE ONE » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:35 am

http://www.revinbailiffs.com/logosm.jpg

Bailiffs in Toronto and The G.T.A.
(416) 749-7386
1-866-749-7386

About Revin Bailiffs
Revin Bailiffs Inc. is a privately owned corporation founded in year 2000. With 2 bailiffs appointed by the Government of Ontario, Revin Bailiffs is one of only a handful of companies with consent to conduct bailiff work throughout the entire Province of Ontario. With more than 15 years experience in the industry, you can be assured that the staff has the expertise and experience to handle your case properly and with extreme professionalism. Revin Bailiffs takes pride in all of the services it offers and is fully bonded and insured.

Click Here For Our Contact Information

© 2010 Revin Bailiffs Inc. All Rights Reserved.
134 Norfinch Drive, Unit 3 Toronto, ON M3N 1X7
Phone: (416) 749-7386 Toll Free: 1-866-749-7386 Fax: (416) 749-1930

This is down the street from 31 Division....
"One hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the most skillful. Subduing the other's military without battle is the most skillful." - Sun Tzu

“You can beat the rap but you can’t beat the ride.”

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

And speaking of Revin Bailiffs:

http://www.thestar.com/article/442628

You could send a letter to the bailiff, but it might arrive late. The bailiff has no postal code. The post office snatched it away.

This raises a minor question of philosophy: If you have no postal code, where on earth are you?

The offices of Revin Bailiffs are on Norfinch Dr., near Finch Ave. and Hwy. 400. Dustin Revin was at his desk the other day. He is the son of a bailiff and the brother of a bailiff and he is studying to be a bailiff himself. Until he gets his bailiff's degree, he does the books for his father and his brother.

The postal code?

Hang on a sec.

What's a bailiff do? Dustin said, "We do civil law enforcement; vehicle repossessions, and we work for commercial landlords, seizing assets. My dad has a business background. He doesn't go in screaming. He has a calming effect, plus he's fearless." At that moment, Revin père walked by. He is a compact man, fit and trim. He checked his hair in a wall mirror, adjusted his belt and walked out the door projecting fearless calm.

The postal code?

Wait for it.

What is the daily life of a calmly fearless bailiff like? Dustin said, "There's always stuff going on. Last week, a car; we couldn't find it. There was supposed to be a GPS, a two-way. The signal was coming from under the street, I guess in a parking garage. Finally, it showed up downtown. We got there and the guy was sleeping in the car. He was surprised at first." I bet he felt stupid, second.

The postal code?

I'm getting there.

How's business these days, bailiff-wise? Dustin said, "Last year we locked out 49 businesses all year. This year, we closed more than that by May."

Ouch.

Okay, now the postal code.

Dustin said, "I've been trying to modernize the office. I had to send a package to Winnipeg recently so I signed up for an online account with Purolator. I couldn't open up an account on their website. It wouldn't accept the code. I called their tech support. They said all their codes were validated by Canada Post. So I went to the Canada Post website and did a search."

The code?

No dice. Not there.

Perplexed and perturbed, Dustin called the post office and said his code had disappeared. Officials did a search and said they couldn't find it either. They also said that such a thing could not possibly be. But there it was – I mean, there it wasn't. Canada Post said they'd get back to him. And the cheque is in the mail, or it would be if I could find your postal code.

What happened?

As near as Dustin can figure out, the postal code for the building he is in was assigned to the company that previously occupied the building.

Hmm, I always thought a postal code was a unit of geography, the philatelic equivalent of longitude and latitude. I guess I thought wrong.

That company moved away two years ago.

Canada Post woke up recently and snatched back the code and the bailiff – along with half a dozen other companies in that building – was suddenly out of luck.

A bailiff, like you or me, needs the mail and, yes, the mail still trickles in.

But a bailiff also needs to be able to enter a complete address on Internet forms; ought not to have to change his business cards, invoices and purchase orders. Dustin does not want a new code. He wants his old code back. M3N 1X7.

Canada Post is working on it. They have been working on it for two weeks now.

Joe Fiorito usually appears Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Email: jfiorito@thestar.ca
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:36 am

An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:10 pm

Revin Bailiffs. I think those are the guys who eat breakfast with us sometimes.

Good people. You'd never know they are repo's.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

mt2cents
Rookie Member

Postby mt2cents » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:56 pm

WOW, thats all I can say, just curious though, I didn't realize that the police enforced Trademarks? and could seize property, That is how this thread got started in the first place. I would think that is a kinda a repo??? Good thing you had a badge!

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Its in my pocket.

You have an open invitation to come and try and take it from me.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:02 am

mt2cents wrote:WOW, thats all I can say, just curious though, I didn't realize that the police enforced Trademarks? and could seize property, That is how this thread got started in the first place. I would think that is a kinda a repo??? Good thing you had a badge!

You didn't realize Police could seize property?

Pete Broccolo

Postby Pete Broccolo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:54 am

Hoodwinkle wrote:
mt2cents wrote:WOW, thats all I can say, just curious though, I didn't realize that the police enforced Trademarks? and could seize property, That is how this thread got started in the first place. I would think that is a kinda a repo??? Good thing you had a badge!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llUwtxXouw8

Looks like Pet Detective's car was having transmission problems!
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad (*), Father-In-Law, & Grampa (*+2)

mt2cents
Rookie Member

Postby mt2cents » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:30 pm

Sorry forgot the word "the", and I was referring to the trademark issues, as typical blown way out of proportion! Should have read and seize the property.

As for the whole badge issue??? really, Badges were one of the first forms of identifying oneself, and we as a society have come to recognize a badge as a form identify and/or authority, Brinks, Firefighters, EMS, and everyone else that carries a badge does so due to regulations, further to honor a long standing tradition!, just as the police do. As for bailiff's, maybe and maybe not, But those who do carry one do at their discretion, There should be no issue with it, just as long as they Do not misrepresent themselves, If there were a badge mandated by the provincial government for all private bailiff's would you than accept it?

As for the need for "Private Bailiff's"? Well if you think not, Then who would do it?, Maybe it would be one more thing for the government to push on the police as another duty on an already crazy list of things you do, Think about it maybe between dealing with crime you would have to do a repo or two, Me I think not, the police already have way too much to do, So I ask what then, Regulate it? Make it a government job? Yeah than say goodbye to your rights people, Give a government agency the ability to enter a home with no warrant just to repo a TV? Maybe break into your garage to snag that quad you have not paid for. Or better yet, let the courts deal with it, Yeah that would be great for the already backlogged and overburdened justice system, Think of that, you arrest some pedophile, but his case gets dismissed because the courts are dealing with the backlog of vehicle owners that were behind on their payments!!! Not very just if you ask me!

I do realize that there are a few jerk offs operating as wanabe bailiffs, and there are another few that Look more like a cop than they should, But that is just the few, Don't paint them all with the same brush, As I’m sure you would appreciate the same courtesy!

Angerman
Rookie Member

Postby Angerman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:37 pm

mt2cents wrote:I do realize that there are a few jerk offs operating as wanabe bailiffs, and there are another few that Look more like a cop than they should, But that is just the few, Don't paint them all with the same brush, As I’m sure you would appreciate the same courtesy!

And which do you represent?

At issue was a group claiming (incorrectly) to hold peace officer status, carrying badges with unauthorized markings and dressing up like law enforcement.

No ones painting an entire industry, but if that describes any portion of the industry then there is a problem, don't you think?