Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Fides
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Fides » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:00 pm

Striker wrote:I was Reserves but it was 13 of the best years of my life and I'd do it again in a heart beat.

Did you have a regular full time job as well when you were in the reserves?
I'm curious as to how people balance their time being on the reserves while holding down a full time job.
From what I understand, the training takes place on a series of weekends, so there wouldn't be any conflict there if you worked a M-F 9-5 job. But, what about when you're actually on the job? How does the scheduling work? Do you sign up for shifts for when you are available? or do they call you in to work when they need you? And what if they want to send you overseas, would you have to take time off/quit your full time job to go?
How did it work for you?
“The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Thu Sep 08, 2011 9:44 pm

Yes we get searching gloves, but dont trust any glove to take a needle. When inside dont put your hand where you cannot see it![/quote]

Thanks FedCO, thats damn good advice

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:18 am

pdubbu wrote:
Whitebrown wrote:
ProudCanadian wrote:Hey everyone. I've been reading through the pages and Ive collected some valuble info, this site is great. I just started school today, I am taking a community and justice service course that will allow me to do a 4 month placement in a correctional institution, a long with many trips to various institutes for tours and interviews with inmates. on top of that I plan of joining a reserve infantry unit near my school. if everything works out, will this be enough to get my foot in the door of corrections? or should i be shooting a little higher?? Thanks for any info/ advice you pro's can give me! :D (my great uncle was a CX so maybe its in my blood ;) )

I'd put more stock into the infantry unit than I would your school program. That being said, a couple officers on my crew did practicums in institutions, albeit they did their work with IPOs (institutional parole officers) and in administration. How long is the program? IMO, having at least two years of post-secondaryis a good thing to have.

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you "Whitebrown", college course is much more hands on than helping out PO's and Admin. When I did placement at a Federal institution I shadowed a COII, I was in the units and spent an afternoon or morning in practically every post of the Institution. I was even lucky enough to participate in SCBA training, watched a few team extraction video's, and might have even gone to the range to fire a gun or two ;)

Well I stand corrected then. Hopefully that's what Proud Canadian will be doing. Never heard or seen something like that out here.

ProudCanadian
Rookie Member

Postby ProudCanadian » Fri Sep 09, 2011 9:18 am

I am sorry but I have to disagree with you "Whitebrown", college course is much more hands on than helping out PO's and Admin. When I did placement at a Federal institution I shadowed a COII, I was in the units and spent an afternoon or morning in practically every post of the Institution. I was even lucky enough to participate in SCBA training, watched a few team extraction video's, and might have even gone to the range to fire a gun or two ;) [/quote]

Well I stand corrected then. Hopefully that's what Proud Canadian will be doing. Never heard or seen something like that out here.[/quote]

Yep, my course allows me to do a placement at a Federal or even a Provincial Institution. I will be going with Federal. Thanks again guys for all the replys and advice/info. Anything else you think I should know I'm all ears

Swimmer
Rookie Member

Postby Swimmer » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:17 am

Question

I applied to the April poster; however, I made a stupid mistake and did not check all locations. I regret this but nevertheless, I did check Ontario and the east coast. My question is, do you guys think there is still a chance that CSC will contact me or this process? I no some people that are already finished the process with this poster so it is looking bad for me but I am looking for any grain of hope.

anyone else only check a few places and get contacted?

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:09 pm

Swimmer wrote:anyone else only check a few places and get contacted?

I only checked the Ontario region from the April posting and I have since passed the exams, the interview and now waiting to hear about the medical that I did approx. a month ago.

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

Any woed if there is another hire in the kingston area this fall.

Thanks

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:12 pm

References have been checked. Crossing my fingers.

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:12 am

Education and military experience are both good. When I did my reservist training, I was working a full time plus 2 part time jobs, along with part time school. Its all about time management. Once trained you are required to attend minimum of 1 parade per month. I heard those infantry guys are the best ;) lol

macker27
Rookie Member

Postby macker27 » Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:08 am

Almc wrote:References have been checked. Crossing my fingers.

Nice, congrats! Still haven't received an email regarding an interview yet. Anyone else who wrote the tests in Calgary in May still waiting for an interview??? Fingers crossed it comes soon :alright:
Applied to CSC: April 12, 2011
Wrote WCPT and in-house exam: May 20, 2011
Passed WCPT and in-house exam: June 14, 2011
Invited to next stage in the application process

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Mon Sep 12, 2011 11:14 am

macker27 wrote:
Almc wrote:References have been checked. Crossing my fingers.

Nice, congrats! Still haven't received an email regarding an interview yet. Anyone else who wrote the tests in Calgary in May still waiting for an interview??? Fingers crossed it comes soon :alright:

It will happen for you!

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:04 pm