Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Kleafloor
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Kleafloor » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:34 pm

MedTech wrote:
Kleafloor wrote:How utterly embarrassing...

For what? Me needing a hug? :smirk:

No not you lol, just some of the comments.
All of our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:37 pm

My comments were merely to shed light on the reasoning for some of the questions and why they may not be as stupid as you may think.

Facebook: Let's be realistic, if you're mentioning anything to do with law enforcement on there, that's a bad idea. Using it on the job? Also a bad idea, some agencies won't nail you on it, some won't even have it accessible. ALL I said was some jobs people can actually go on facebook, so maybe that's why such questions are asked.. I personally wouldn't bother with it, bad news.

Gyms: Many law enforcement agencies provide gyms, so i thought it was a fair question and was kinda suprised when the answers came back negatively.... I don't feel entitled to a gym but it seemed like a reasonable possibilty.

Your answers: I don't feel entitled to anything, I've asked a few questions and they were answered(much appreciated btw). If someone doesn't like my question then I have no problem with them ignoring it. I'm not demanding anyone tell me anything, nor will I ask about specific things to do with interviews or testing.(integrity)...

I respect the traditional "rookie keep ur head down, do your job and listen" attitude. It's alot easier to learn when you keep your mouth shut and pay attention. I just hope the experienced guys don't think the people asking questions are snot nosed punks who are expecting anything.... they just seem (to me)like people coming from a totally different world. I personally don't know ANYTHING about CSC and plan on just doing what needs to be done..

So medtech and the others... Sorry if some young guys(myself included) seem like knowitall's... we're just ignorant of the system and the process.

FrankCastle
Rookie Member

Postby FrankCastle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:54 am

J_Brian wrote:IAnd half the people chewing ME out (or the fabricated "dumb" questions) are also applicants, recruits... When I found out I got into CTP, i didn't think all of a sudden my shit didn't stink, so what happened to some of you? As an applicant I know what i don't know and that's the policies of CSC. Which means you don't either... so if you are an applicant, or awaiting whatever your waiting on why are you even chiming in? You don't know. For all you know they have Facebook event pages for yard work... Put your hands in your pocket and wait by your email.

Thanks for the helpful advice some have given. It truly is appreciated.

Solid advice to all applicants.

And I'm not a rookie (not an old timer either) but I assure you, my shit still stinks.

FrankCastle
Rookie Member

Postby FrankCastle » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:59 am

Darkhare wrote:Gyms: Many law enforcement agencies provide gyms, so i thought it was a fair question and was kinda suprised when the answers came back negatively.... I don't feel entitled to a gym but it seemed like a reasonable possibilty.

CSC, unlike other law enforcement agencies doesn't require its employees to stay in shape. Its up to you. All (most) inmates do all day long is work out and train. And work out some more. So keeping your fitness up is extremely important, which is hard to stay committed to after a 12hr or 16hr day.

I can't recall seeing where you were applying, but if its the pacific region there is a fed govt employee gym on the matsqui reserve. 20$ a year, but the equipment is a little dated. Probably the closest thing we'll ever get though.

Kleafloor
Rookie Member

Postby Kleafloor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:41 am

Should have been more specific, sorry for the confusion. I thought it was interesting how people were arguing with the same people who are trying to help them is all.
-Walt Disney

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Fri Aug 12, 2011 5:00 pm

Well the test at the completion of stage 1 went alright, so im off to Saskatoon for the 30th of August.

Any other blueliners other than J.Brian and the anonymous lurkers I met at the test going on the 30th?

Kleafloor
Rookie Member

Postby Kleafloor » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:43 pm

Striker wrote:
Kleafloor wrote:Should have been more specific, sorry for the confusion. I thought it was interesting how people were arguing with the same people who are trying to help them is all.

It's good training for when they work in a housing unit. ;)

Care to elaborate lol?, housing unit?
-Walt Disney

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:18 pm

Striker wrote:A housing unit is where the inmates "live"..where the cells are. Staff that work the units need to be part, father, mother, teacher, counselor, priest, mailman, secretary, cop, firefighter, EMT, accountant, marriage counselor...I'm sure I'm forgetting a hat or two.. ;)

Financial adviser, mediator, weatherman, maitre d', waiter, plumber, electrician, detective, CSI tech, doorman, concierge, janitor, and math tutor!

There, fixed it for you! :mrgreen:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Fri Aug 12, 2011 9:39 pm

You're not a waiter? Who feeds them on lockdowns?

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:44 pm

Striker wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:
Striker wrote:A housing unit is where the inmates "live"..where the cells are. Staff that work the units need to be part, father, mother, teacher, counselor, priest, mailman, secretary, cop, firefighter, EMT, accountant, marriage counselor...I'm sure I'm forgetting a hat or two.. ;)

Financial adviser, mediator, weatherman, maitre d', waiter, plumber, electrician, detective, CSI tech, doorman, concierge, janitor, and math tutor!

There, fixed it for you! :mrgreen:

rofl. I don't do the plumber, electrician,maitre d', waiter, concierge (unless I'm working seg) or janitor thing...union rules ya know! :mrgreen:

ha hah ahaha, this might be oddly specific, but don't forget heating up canteen/pizza pocket in the microwave for them.
Gaoler

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:54 pm

That's a touch over the line Gaoler.....haha