Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Shawshank

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:48 am

Striker wrote:
Kat wrote:
It would be nice to get some sort of training allowance but from my interview the other day it doesn't sound like that is going to happen yet. I was told it is unpaid training but lunch would be provided. I live in the Kingston area and as long as I can do my training in Kingston I won't need accommodations. I guess they would pay for accommodations if you were from out of town or if for some reason I had to go out of town for training.

I personally have mainly been home for a few years now raising our children. We are use to living just on my husband's salary so the unpaid training is not going to make that much of a difference except now we will have to pay for child care. If it was him applying and not me it would be a lot harder as the income he brings in pays our mortgage and other bills.

We received around $250 every 2 week. it covered the gas I burned traveling back and forth. We lived off our credit cards..and I was hired as a casual..not indeterminate.
I had a wife who worked and 2 children..so all her wages went to the baby sitter.
I guess it comes down to how bad you want the job and what sacrifices you are willing to make.

It is six weeks of hardship for a career with benefits and a decent pension plan. When you know you are applying, plan ahead to take some of the stress off. As well, see where you can cut back for six weeks. E.g. cut the cable.
K division.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:57 pm

Gaoler wrote:to pdubbu: this is such a joke........they actually ask for permission before doing a bcs?

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdsh ... shtml#Body

BODY CAVITY SEARCH
14. Where a staff member believes on reasonable grounds that an inmate is carrying contraband in a body cavity, the staff member may not seize or attempt to seize that contraband, but will inform the Institutional Head.

15. The Institutional Head shall consult with the Regional Deputy Commissioner or delegate prior to authorizing a body cavity search where the Institutional Head is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to believe that an inmate is carrying contraband in a body cavity and that a body cavity search is necessary in order to find or seize the contraband. The Institutional Head may then authorize in writing a body cavity search to be conducted by a qualified medical practitioner, if the inmate's written consent is obtained.

Far easier than having the doctor dig through the guy's rectum is to throw the con in the dry cell and let him poop it out at his own leisure. Con has no say in the matter, and we don't need RHQ involvement in any way shape or form.

Keeper can authorize it, based on intelligence information or any other justification that can be documented.

We have at least one con a week in ours, either coming off the street off parole revocation, or from a Private Family Visit.

And it's successful, too! :thumbsup:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Shawshank

Postby Shawshank » Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:22 pm

Does the new guy have to look for the evidence? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :alright: :alright: :alright:
K division.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 am

pdubbu wrote:Con Game by Mike Harris, if you really want to get ahead read some CD's (commissioners directives). The 567 series would be a good place to start (use of force).
CD's
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/toccd-eng.shtml

CD 567
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/567-cd-eng.shtml

Already read through most of them before my interview...will keep re-reading as time goes on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Been reading Con Game (or at least the parts that are available online), will keep up with that if you think it would be beneficial. Thanks.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 am

supersean wrote:you guys going through right now, how long after your interview did you find out you passed? do they email and let you know you passed/failed?

I found out my references were being contacted within 2 days. The day they were contacted I was emailed saying I was successful. Interviewed on a Wednesday and I found out I passed on Monday afternoon. It was shockingly quick actually.

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:11 pm

Slo wrote:
supersean wrote:you guys going through right now, how long after your interview did you find out you passed? do they email and let you know you passed/failed?

I found out my references were being contacted within 2 days. The day they were contacted I was emailed saying I was successful. Interviewed on a Wednesday and I found out I passed on Monday afternoon. It was shockingly quick actually.

I had my interview the other day, my reference was called the next day but they didn't get connected till the day after. I haven't heard anything one way or the other yet but was told at the interview 3-4 weeks. I know someone else that went through and heard back in 2 days that they didn't pass it via email.

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:19 pm

Shawshank wrote:Does the new guy have to look for the evidence? :ponder: :ponder: :ponder: :alright: :alright: :alright:

Yeah, and the senior officers make sure that there's corn in every meal! :twisted:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:52 pm

Slo wrote:
pdubbu wrote:Con Game by Mike Harris, if you really want to get ahead read some CD's (commissioners directives). The 567 series would be a good place to start (use of force).
CD's
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/toccd-eng.shtml

CD 567
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/567-cd-eng.shtml

Already read through most of them before my interview...will keep re-reading as time goes on. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Been reading Con Game (or at least the parts that are available online), will keep up with that if you think it would be beneficial. Thanks.

I am not sure how helpful the CD's will be for your interview, they will definitely give you a leg up on people during CTP though. Con Game give you some insight into how some things run and how some things use to run.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:59 pm

Slo wrote:

congrats slo! i failed 3 times, twice for the cx and once for the parole officer comp. if u remember me, i am the provincial co asking about the differences between fed and prov.
Gaoler

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:53 pm

I liked "Con Game" but I would actually recommend any new recruits to not read it until they are on the job. One because it is a dose of reality that will cloud the kool aid they are feeding you on CTP. Drink the kool aid while on CTP. The goal is to pass. Go into detox from the sweet liquid after you graduate. Another reason is that some of your instructors will hate that book due to themselves or possibly others they know not looking in the best light in that book. You will not be doing yourself any favours mentioning that book in the classroom. I had one instructor that said he didn't even want to see any recruits with a copy on them. JMHO.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:57 pm

I know most of the staff in that bookk and all of the Convicts..

mgd
Rookie Member

Postby mgd » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:04 am

hi, what is usually after the medical?
Applied CSC April 13, 2011
WCPT & In-House Exam May 14, 2011
Passed WCPT & In-House Exam June 15, 2011
Interviewed July 08, 2011
References Checked July 21, 2011
Medical July 25, 2011
CTP Invite August 22, 2011

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 am

the1captain wrote:I liked "Con Game" but I would actually recommend any new recruits to not read it until they are on the job. One because it is a dose of reality that will cloud the kool aid they are feeding you on CTP. Drink the kool aid while on CTP. The goal is to pass. Go into detox from the sweet liquid after you graduate. Another reason is that some of your instructors will hate that book due to themselves or possibly others they know not looking in the best light in that book. You will not be doing yourself any favours mentioning that book in the classroom. I had one instructor that said he didn't even want to see any recruits with a copy on them. JMHO.

Agreed. The reality of your job will hit you once you get your first paycheque, which will be about three weeks after you sign your letter of offer.

That's also about the time that the shine of your new uniform wears off after daily washings. :D