Winnipeg Getting NHL Team!!!

NON Law Enforcement discussion. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want, just leave work out of it. Nobody likes a workaholic. Get a life ;-)
Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Re: Winnipeg Getting NHL Team!!!

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:03 pm

The new franchise would not own the name "Winnipeg Jets" anymore.
That name is going to still be owned by the owner's of the Phoenix Coyotes or the NHL itself. The owners of the new Winnipeg team would either need to pay to get the name back, if the name is even for sale, or name the team something else.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 am

Yes, the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name and logo and has said they will make it available to TNSE if they want it. However, it doesnt make much sense to use the Jets name. If they do go with jets, im willing to bet they change the logo and jersey design so that everyone has to buy new merchandise. Another problem with using the jets name is they are still considered a part of the Phoenix franchise. For example, any retired jerseys by the Jets are still a part of the Phoenix franchise and any retired Thrasher is a part of the new Winnipeg franchise. I think it is time to start a new identity for the NHL in Manitoba. Bust out the retro jets jerseys once a year to keep the fanatics happy.
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:00 pm

Mully wrote:Yes, the NHL owns the rights to the Jets name and logo and has said they will make it available to TNSE if they want it. However, it doesnt make much sense to use the Jets name. If they do go with jets, im willing to bet they change the logo and jersey design so that everyone has to buy new merchandise. Another problem with using the jets name is they are still considered a part of the Phoenix franchise. For example, any retired jerseys by the Jets are still a part of the Phoenix franchise and any retired Thrasher is a part of the new Winnipeg franchise. I think it is time to start a new identity for the NHL in Manitoba. Bust out the retro jets jerseys once a year to keep the fanatics happy.

I agree.

Same with Quebec. Everyone there will want the name Nordiques, even though it's still part of the Colorado franchise. Not like Joe Sakic is going to go "home" because Quebec has another team known as the Nordiques because it's not the same team.

The mistake the NHL made with both Colorado, Dallas and Phoenix is that not only did they allow the franchise to relocate, they took the history with it. Unlike the Baltimore Ravens of the NFL, when they left Cleveland, Baltimore was viewed as an expansion team - no records, no history, starting from scratch. When Cleveland entered the league as an expansion team, they pretty much picked up where they left off: Name, colours, history and most importantly, LOSING!! But rest assured, when the Ravens play the Browns in Cleveland, there isn't a single Cleveland fan cheering for the "old Browns".

Like or not Winnpeg fans, Bobby Hull's #9 now belongs to Phoenix. And if you wear your Jets jersey to the game when Maitoba is playing Phoenix, you're technically cheering for the Coyotes.

Burick
Veteran Member

Postby Burick » Sat Jun 04, 2011 2:08 pm

13,000 season tickets sold out 17 minutes after sales opened to the public.

Mully
Rookie Member

Postby Mully » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:47 pm

Burick wrote:13,000 season tickets sold out 17 minutes after sales opened to the public.

Me and a bunch of buddies are the proud owners of 2 of them in P6 :drinking: :wave: :alright:

I seen on Kijiji some guy is offering 12 grand for 2 P6 season tickets 88) Too bad I love hockey so much :smirk:
Correctional Service of Canada
Graduated: February, 2012

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:04 pm

POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

fjacky
Rookie Member

Postby fjacky » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:04 pm

Not a big fan of those
!!!2008!!!

zimmer
Rookie Member

Postby zimmer » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:22 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:Don't mind it at all, certainly better than some of the garbage that has come out in recent memory for uniform design.

Agree 100%, they've been some terrible designs! I'm curious to see how the new team will be/play in their new surroundings. Fans seem very optimistic.
On the Civilian side of the yellow tape......for now!

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:31 pm

IrishCanadian wrote:Don't mind it at all, certainly better than some of the garbage that has come out in recent memory for uniform design.

I like it as well.

It has some nice, clear Canadian imagery in it, while still maintaining it's uniqueness.
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]

pukie
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby pukie » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:24 pm

TMLF wrote:

I like it as well.

It has some nice, clear Canadian imagery in it, while still maintaining it's uniqueness.

It looks like clip art from my windows 95 operating system.

TMLF

Postby TMLF » Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:30 pm

pukie wrote:
TMLF wrote:

I like it as well.

It looks like clip art from my windows 95 operating system.

Complicated, it is not.
-T

[Insert witty signature quote here...]