Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
p.r
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby p.r » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 am

JrPI wrote:I will be going to CTP in Saskatoon in August and then to Edmonton. Is there any officers online that work at the Edmonton Pen? I was wondering if you are on 12 hour shifts and what the schedule is like. Thanks

7 NIGHTS / 3 OFF
7 DAYS / 4 OFF
(Don't expect to work many midnight shifts as a new officer)

DAY: 0645 - 1515 (Except Tuesday until 1545)
EVENING: 1415 - 2245 (Except Tuesday start 1345)

I am not sure of the midnight shift, a lot of 12 hour officers take that (Inmates are sleeping, obviously).
You can put your name on a list for 12 hour shifts. But that might change as a vote will be held (supposed to be in the near future) on what shifts officers want. 7/3-7/4 will stay, and so will 12 hour shifts, but what might be coming in is 9/16/9.

They have three different shift rotations, or a "Squad" that you will be assigned to at the end of OJT.

Slo
Rookie Member

Postby Slo » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:24 am

pdubbu wrote:
Slo wrote:For those currently in the hiring process....about how long did it take to hear back after fingerprinting and/or the Medical?

It's only been 2 weeks....and there was a bit of a Canada Post hiccup in there too. I'm just wondering how long most people waited to hear back about these parts of the process. Specifically hoping to hear from people that were in that stage of the process during the "Posties Strike".

Thanks.

Finger printing....they've really changed things up. You won't hear anything about the medical usually until your on CTP. Hearing nothing is what you want though, they usually only notify you if they found something that needs further testing, etc... I've heard that things are running at a snails pace at the college too, its pretty much shut down for the next bit. I would hazard to guess that the CTP's won't start up until the end of summer or beginning of fall. It gives you more time to save up some $$ so things aren't as tight when you're getting into the 5-6 week of classes. The last thing you want is to be worried about paying bills,etc...

I'm stressing about the time frame because my wife is currently expecting our first. Her due date is in late November. So...every week that goes by is good...because it delays the process, but it is bad because I REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS!

The fingerprint dood (Commissionaire) said that it takes up to 7 weeks....and when I did it there was the Postal issue going on. So...I'm taking the 'no news is good news' approach for now. The longer this plays out is best because I should be with my wife when she gives birth...on the flip side.....if I get ruled out...it doesn't really matter when I find out.

So want this job though.....any advice on what a hopeful candidate can read/do while waiting to get invited to training? This waiting to hear back makes me feel like I am wasting time. So I'd prefer to be reading/doing something that would help me. Suggestions?

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:13 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:52 pm

Slo wrote:
pdubbu wrote:
Slo wrote:For those currently in the hiring process....about how long did it take to hear back after fingerprinting and/or the Medical?

It's only been 2 weeks....and there was a bit of a Canada Post hiccup in there too. I'm just wondering how long most people waited to hear back about these parts of the process. Specifically hoping to hear from people that were in that stage of the process during the "Posties Strike".

Thanks.

Finger printing....they've really changed things up. You won't hear anything about the medical usually until your on CTP. Hearing nothing is what you want though, they usually only notify you if they found something that needs further testing, etc... I've heard that things are running at a snails pace at the college too, its pretty much shut down for the next bit. I would hazard to guess that the CTP's won't start up until the end of summer or beginning of fall. It gives you more time to save up some $$ so things aren't as tight when you're getting into the 5-6 week of classes. The last thing you want is to be worried about paying bills,etc...

I'm stressing about the time frame because my wife is currently expecting our first. Her due date is in late November. So...every week that goes by is good...because it delays the process, but it is bad because I REALLY WANT TO KNOW THE RESULTS!

The fingerprint dood (Commissionaire) said that it takes up to 7 weeks....and when I did it there was the Postal issue going on. So...I'm taking the 'no news is good news' approach for now. The longer this plays out is best because I should be with my wife when she gives birth...on the flip side.....if I get ruled out...it doesn't really matter when I find out.

So want this job though.....any advice on what a hopeful candidate can read/do while waiting to get invited to training? This waiting to hear back makes me feel like I am wasting time. So I'd prefer to be reading/doing something that would help me. Suggestions?

Con Game by Mike Harris, if you really want to get ahead read some CD's (commissioners directives). The 567 series would be a good place to start (use of force).
CD's
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/toccd-eng.shtml

CD 567
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/567-cd-eng.shtml

kenworth98
Rookie Member

Postby kenworth98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:21 pm

i've been told the recruits at CTP (kingston) are being paid.... anyone confirm?

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:52 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kenworth98
Rookie Member

Postby kenworth98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:02 pm

supersean wrote:i dont know about that, since its a federal job and federal training i think it would be the same across the country because then the recruits in every other province could grieve that they are not being paid i think it would cause alot of problems if just one center did it. But then this is just a guess so dont go jump up and down if im wrong and you know the right answer

i don't know, just taking someones word that they were paid as they attended core....seems to good to be true....
then again ppl were paid back in the late 70's....maybe history will repeat it's self.....

pdubbu
Rookie Member

Postby pdubbu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:15 pm

kenworth98 wrote:i've been told the recruits at CTP (kingston) are being paid.... anyone confirm?

There are always a handful of recruits on CTP who are being paid, that's because they were already working for the service in a non-security role. They tend to keep it quiet since most aren't being paid and might turn on them. I've heard grumblings that recruits might start to be paid, not sure why though...if you want it bad enough you'll do it regardless.

kenworth98
Rookie Member

Postby kenworth98 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:20 pm

pdubbu wrote:
kenworth98 wrote:i've been told the recruits at CTP (kingston) are being paid.... anyone confirm?

There are always a handful of recruits on CTP who are being paid, that's because they were already working for the service in a non-security role. They tend to keep it quiet since most aren't being paid and might turn on them. I've heard grumblings that recruits might start to be paid, not sure why though...if you want it bad enough you'll do it regardless.

ahhh....good to know...thanks

supersean
Rookie Member

Postby supersean » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Last edited by supersean on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kleafloor
Rookie Member

Postby Kleafloor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Striker wrote:
kenworth98 wrote:i don't know, just taking someones word that they were paid as they attended core....seems to good to be true....
then again ppl were paid back in the late 70's....maybe history will repeat it's self.....

In the 80's you were hired before you went on CTP and were paid your starting salary from the start.
I went through in 97 and we were paid a "training allowance". I've heard recently that recruits will be getting paid.
I think it's long over due because all we are getting now are extremely young people that had no mortgages, family to support and for the most part..zero life skills and a huge sense of entitlement..at least that has been our experience..
if they paid a decent training allowance then hopefully more mature people will apply..

This is exactly what stopped me from continuing on in the process for the Grande Cache posting. I have a mortgage, a wife on maternity leave and were both recently out of college. Leaving for three months with no pay was out of the question.
All of our dreams can come true -- if we have the courage to pursue them.
-Walt Disney

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:39 pm

Striker wrote:
kenworth98 wrote:i don't know, just taking someones word that they were paid as they attended core....seems to good to be true....

In the 80's you were hired before you went on CTP and were paid your starting salary from the start.
I went through in 97 and we were paid a "training allowance". I've heard recently that recruits will be getting paid.
I think it's long over due because all we are getting now are extremely young people that had no mortgages, family to support and for the most part..zero life skills and a huge sense of entitlement..at least that has been our experience..
if they paid a decent training allowance then hopefully more mature people will apply..

It would be nice to get some sort of training allowance but from my interview the other day it doesn't sound like that is going to happen yet. I was told it is unpaid training but lunch would be provided. I live in the Kingston area and as long as I can do my training in Kingston I won't need accommodations. I guess they would pay for accommodations if you were from out of town or if for some reason I had to go out of town for training.

I personally have mainly been home for a few years now raising our children. We are use to living just on my husband's salary so the unpaid training is not going to make that much of a difference except now we will have to pay for child care. If it was him applying and not me it would be a lot harder as the income he brings in pays our mortgage and other bills.

Gaoler
Grand Poobah

Postby Gaoler » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:07 am

[quote="pdubbu
Con Game by Mike Harris, if you really want to get ahead read some CD's (commissioners directives). The 567 series would be a good place to start (use of force).
CD's
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/toccd-eng.shtml

CD 567
http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/567-cd-eng.shtml[/quote]

to pdubbu: this is such a joke........they actually ask for permission before doing a bcs?

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdsh ... shtml#Body

BODY CAVITY SEARCH
14. Where a staff member believes on reasonable grounds that an inmate is carrying contraband in a body cavity, the staff member may not seize or attempt to seize that contraband, but will inform the Institutional Head.

15. The Institutional Head shall consult with the Regional Deputy Commissioner or delegate prior to authorizing a body cavity search where the Institutional Head is satisfied that there are reasonable grounds to believe that an inmate is carrying contraband in a body cavity and that a body cavity search is necessary in order to find or seize the contraband. The Institutional Head may then authorize in writing a body cavity search to be conducted by a qualified medical practitioner, if the inmate's written consent is obtained.
Gaoler