Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 am

MedTech wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:
Fingerscrossed1 wrote:If i just worked a 16 hour shift, Will i still be assigned a shift the next day? or would I have at least 24 hours off after a 16 hour shift?

No, my family is in this field too and they work 16 and have to be back at 7 the next morning.

hmmm... i guess my next recourse would be to rent a place near work... and on my off days, i go do my volunteering while sleeping at my parent's place.

Do whatever you want. Keep our advice in mind... and seriously... talk to that person before you even do anything else. All this would be for not if that person says "NOPE" and you're now screwed.

yup, will clear it with my csc recruiting contact. and thanks again for your help in PMs. I really understood alot more.

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Fri May 27, 2011 2:36 am

Thanks for all the advice... If i end up in Kent I think i'll just suck it up like the 21 year veteran... untill i can afford a place in abby

ArmouredSoup
Rookie Member

Postby ArmouredSoup » Fri May 27, 2011 4:29 am

Has anyone heard anything about when CTP might start for the Granch Cache posting?

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri May 27, 2011 10:08 am

NewToThePlace wrote:thanks federalco

hmmm, i would be commuting from east richmond/surrey/new westminster

yeah carpooling would be nice, would be nice if there's a group that have it's people take turns driving each different day so that it's not so taxing everyday (on the mind and body) for the 2 hours there and the 2 hours back commute... could be a driving hazard on the trans canada 1 if you were to drive by yourself every working day following 10-12 hour shifts

LOL, I practically pass out during my drive home following an 8 hour shift :angel:

...and that's a 20 minute drive
Very good. But brick not hit back!

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 10:23 am

Federal CO wrote:
NewToThePlace wrote:thanks federalco

hmmm, i would be commuting from east richmond/surrey/new westminster

yeah carpooling would be nice, would be nice if there's a group that have it's people take turns driving each different day so that it's not so taxing everyday (on the mind and body) for the 2 hours there and the 2 hours back commute... could be a driving hazard on the trans canada 1 if you were to drive by yourself every working day following 10-12 hour shifts

LOL, I practically pass out during my drive home following an 8 hour shift :angel:

...and that's a 20 minute drive

just a side question, is it common for CSC employees to shower and nap inside the institution if they only have like 6-8 hours of rest time in between their shifts?

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri May 27, 2011 11:30 am

NewToThePlace wrote:just a side question, is it common for CSC employees to shower and nap inside the institution if they only have like 6-8 hours of rest time in between their shifts?

No.

Not at my particular institution or any one that I am aware of in this region for that matter. We have one shower for emergencies. There is nowhere to "nap", and if you do it on post you are FUBAR and your ethics/credibility/career go out the window.

EDIT: The shower can be used for personal use as well if you wanna look like a tool :wave:

My opinion is that you drop this volunteer gig and focus on your future. If you are trying to collect experience out of volunteering, you can trust me when I say that you will get much more out of the CSC.

EDIT #2: Your primary focus should be on yourself and your fellow CO's (should you make it). If you show up for shift and can't give it your all (we depend on you COI's with our lives) because you are "tired" from volunteering or travel especially when you are new and inexperienced, you will have a very rough go and may get voluntold to transfer...catch my drift? Sorry, but it's reality my friend. If you don't care enough then don't bother waisting your time and ours.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri May 27, 2011 11:58 am

Federal CO wrote:No.

Not at my particular institution or any one that I am aware of in this region for that matter. We have one shower for emergencies. There is nowhere to "nap", and if you do it on post you are FUBAR and your ethics/credibility/career go out the window.

EDIT: The shower can be used for personal use as well if you wanna look like a tool :wave:

My opinion is that you drop this volunteer gig and focus on your future. If you are trying to collect experience out of volunteering, you can trust me when I say that you will get much more out of the CSC.

EDIT #2: Your primary focus should be on yourself and your fellow CO's (should you make it). If you show up for shift and can't give it your all (we depend on you COI's with our lives) because you are "tired" from volunteering or travel especially when you are new and inexperienced, you will have a very rough go and may get voluntold to transfer...catch my drift? Sorry, but it's reality my friend. If you don't care enough then don't bother waisting your time and ours.

To echo what FederalCO is saying. Recent published articles with regards to officers being tired, and the negative impacts it has on the safety of the officer and their partners etc, pretty much states that the more rested you are, the better you're going to react understress.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 pm

Not to sound cold but you are either ready to do the job or not. There are going to be shifts where you get a shitty relief. Which means your commute time just got worse. If I was working with you I would hope your focus is on where you work.
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri May 27, 2011 1:10 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:
I've PM'd NTTP, and although in my perspective the experience is not worth it, it maybe different for him/her.

I've laid it out for them, and if they still chose to go through with the craziness, then... well... that's up to them..

Although New To The Place keep this in mind.... IF and that's a big IF you get hired, you maybe required to give up your status with your Volunteer Service. The reason is that you CANNOT be a LEO and do what you do. There is a conflict of interest, especially if you're dealing with someone who you've encountered at work or has a potential to encounter.

Think carefully. Again... do you want to be an unpaid random person... or do you want a career.

the conflict of interest part I have not cleared with CSC yet... which I believe I should clear with them asap. My volunteer place do not have an issue with it. CSC deals with indictable offenders mainly (2+ years sentences) while my volunteer organization deals mostly with the 2- years offenders.. As a CO1, I am unsure how much interaction I would be having with offenders... if i am just on static security...there's lesser chance of conflict of interest

summing it up, i better clear it with CSC first and I should not be relying on wishful thinking of how things will turn out...

You work with inmates as a volunteer :crazy: also be honest with your self either drop the volunteer or take a career.

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri May 27, 2011 1:22 pm

I hope he doesn't want to latch onto his volunteer position because of the "bond" he has developed with the offenders...

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Fri May 27, 2011 1:29 pm

Federal CO wrote:I hope he doesn't want to latch onto his volunteer position because of the "bond" he has developed with the offenders...

Naw, it's not that type of volunteering.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 1:42 pm

no, i don't work with inmates as volunteer, what i meant is we deal with victims that have been victimized by offenders who usually commit less than indictable offense

oh, I know sleeping at the institution in between shifts would probably make anyone look bad, but I didn't know that showers were that heavily scrutinized too. Don't police officers shower and change at their detachment after their shift if they got really dirtied up while on shift? I know the detachment in my city has showers that officers use frequently.

thank you so much everyone for addressing my questions and concerns

the1captain
Veteran Member

Postby the1captain » Fri May 27, 2011 1:50 pm

Ust
NewToThePlace wrote:no, i don't work with inmates as volunteer, what i meant is we deal with victims that have been victimized by offenders who usually commit less than indictable offense

oh, I know sleeping at the institution in between shifts would probably make anyone look bad, but I didn't know that showers were that heavily scrutinized too. Don't police officers shower and change at their detachment after their shift if they got really dirtied up while on shift? I know the detachment in my city has showers that officers use frequently.

just a suggestion. Couldn't you just move closer to work and go back home and volunteer on your rest days?
"Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Anonymous

Federal CO

Postby Federal CO » Fri May 27, 2011 1:52 pm

NewToThePlace wrote:no, i don't work with inmates as volunteer, what i meant is we deal with victims that have been victimized by offenders who usually commit less than indictable offense

Dealing with victims is a noble thing to do. But I still think it will be to much juggling that with the working hours in the CSC. This job can be and is mentally draining. It is what you make of it. You need to focus on making it a solid career. Before that, you actually need to get through training.

I was being sarcastic with the shower situation. But you will probably be the only uniformed officer that uses the thing for anything other than emergencies here.

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Fri May 27, 2011 1:53 pm

the1captain wrote:Ust

just a suggestion. Couldn't you just move closer to work and go back home and volunteer on your rest days?

yup, about 2 pages back, i already mentioned that
I would rent near work, and live back at my parents on my off days for volunteer
I just want to balance life at work and life outside of work.