Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby BravoZulu » Sat May 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Anybody know the reasons for the transfers out of Drum? I might be looking to transfer to the PRA and I don't wanna get sewered.
If it's just recruits that were hired from other regions wanting to transfer back to their home province that's one thing but if guys have 10 years there and their whole life revolves around the area then that's a bit different.

Feel free to PM me if you're in the know but don't want to share dirty laundry on the public side.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Sat May 21, 2011 10:50 pm

macker27 wrote:In Calgary right now surprisingly there are only 35 people writing the test here, I wonder if Edmonton had a larger crowd 4 days ago?

I was there as well. Very surprised on the low turnout. However im not complaining!

macker27
Rookie Member

Postby macker27 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:02 am

BravoZulu wrote:Anybody know the reasons for the transfers out of Drum? I might be looking to transfer to the PRA and I don't wanna get sewered.
If it's just recruits that were hired from other regions wanting to transfer back to their home province that's one thing but if guys have 10 years there and their whole life revolves around the area then that's a bit different.

Feel free to PM me if you're in the know but don't want to share dirty laundry on the public side.

BZ

BZ I could be completely wrong because i don't work there, just was there for a 2 week practicum; however, from what I witnessed it was a lot of people coming in from other regions, then transferring back home after a year. Their warden has done a few presentations at my college and stated the same. As for living in Drum, I have no idea, but it did not seem too bad for the 2 weeks I was there. I think a lot of officers live in surrounding small towns.
Applied to CSC: April 12, 2011
Wrote WCPT and in-house exam: May 20, 2011
Passed WCPT and in-house exam: June 14, 2011
Invited to next stage in the application process

macker27
Rookie Member

Postby macker27 » Sun May 22, 2011 5:10 am

Almc wrote:
macker27 wrote:In Calgary right now surprisingly there are only 35 people writing the test here, I wonder if Edmonton had a larger crowd 4 days ago?

I was there as well. Very surprised on the low turnout. However im not complaining!

No complaints here either. What I was surprised by was how people were dressed. Lots of ripped jeans and crappy t-shirts, not to mention the dude with his straight brim hat, that was 3 sizes to big and his Ecko track suit, classy.
Applied to CSC: April 12, 2011
Wrote WCPT and in-house exam: May 20, 2011
Passed WCPT and in-house exam: June 14, 2011
Invited to next stage in the application process

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Sun May 22, 2011 11:31 am

Ok, Thanks macker27. I had heard from a guy at my jail who worked there that it was a good place to work. Of course we all know that places can change based on management, staff, inmates etc....

If it's just people transferring back home then that's good.

BZ
“I’m not here to make things better. I’m here to prevent them from getting worse.”

boudz
Rookie Member

Postby boudz » Sun May 22, 2011 1:30 pm

I have been reading this forum since I applied to the April 2011 posting and I completed the testing on May 17th. I hope to hear back soon!

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Mon May 23, 2011 1:01 pm

BravoZulu wrote:On my core training we had a scenario that involved an Inmate that wouldn't stand for count because he was sleeping. We were asked what we'd do to get the Inmate to stand for count. Some said "I'd Bootf**k the door and yell at him to stand for count"
Others said they'd knock on the door and tell the Inmate it was count time and maybe charge him.

Guess which guys went to Kent? Obviously now it's changed a bit in this region and probably the majority of recruits go to Kent, but I think before that they try to match people to the Institution that suited their personality. But then again I was only on core once and can only use that as a reference.

BZ

Bootfuck the door AND yell at him?? Heavens to betsy!! I'm surprised they weren't kicked out of CTP! The parole officers doing the training must have been horrified!

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Tue May 24, 2011 10:14 pm

Whitebrown wrote:
BravoZulu wrote:On my core training we had a scenario that involved an Inmate that wouldn't stand for count because he was sleeping. We were asked what we'd do to get the Inmate to stand for count. Some said "I'd Bootf**k the door and yell at him to stand for count"
Others said they'd knock on the door and tell the Inmate it was count time and maybe charge him.

Guess which guys went to Kent? Obviously now it's changed a bit in this region and probably the majority of recruits go to Kent, but I think before that they try to match people to the Institution that suited their personality. But then again I was only on core once and can only use that as a reference.

BZ

Bootfuck the door AND yell at him?? Heavens to betsy!! I'm surprised they weren't kicked out of CTP! The parole officers doing the training must have been horrified!

Well there was mention of the inappropriateness of the wording....

BZ

graingirl
Rookie Member

Postby graingirl » Thu May 26, 2011 12:32 am

Anyone get any results for either the WCPT or In House exams yet
Last edited by graingirl on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Applied: April 2011
Interviews: July 2011
Offer to CTP: August 2011
Online training: August 22, 2011
In class: October 3, 2011
OJT: December 8, 2011
Hired: December 8, 2011

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Thu May 26, 2011 12:57 am

BravoZulu wrote:OK so I happened to speak to recruiting today and this is what I got from a recruiter.

-There were over 5000 applicants. Everyone who was able to display correctly that they met the basic requirements was invited to write the tests. MedTech was correct.
After this point now there will be a random selection for the next stage, BUT if you have certain asset qualifications then obviously that could skew the number of people randomly selected.

I don't know if this means that they're having a second round of testing though, so if you meet the requirements either you will be contacted, or you did not correctly display on your application that you met the requirements. Every requirement must be met and stated on your application even if it's obvious that you meet the requirement...for example if it says that you must be alive in order to apply then you have to put "I'm alive" in your application, even though obviously you are. Hope that makes sense.

BZ

Weird, I know of at least two fellow applicants who are equally qualified as I am. (one more than me)... and they didn't get a test invite but I did..... confusing.

Wrote at UBC pac region.... anyone have any idea how long test results take?

mgd
Rookie Member

Postby mgd » Thu May 26, 2011 3:02 am

I believe It takes 4 weeks, I know someone who wrote the WCPT for another gov job, and his results came back exactly 4 weeks after the test date.

Don't hold me to it though :thumbsup:
Applied CSC April 13, 2011
WCPT & In-House Exam May 14, 2011
Passed WCPT & In-House Exam June 15, 2011
Interviewed July 08, 2011
References Checked July 21, 2011
Medical July 25, 2011
CTP Invite August 22, 2011

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu May 26, 2011 4:29 am

The correct answer is: as long as you verify a live breathing uninjured body for that count (HOWEVER YOU ACHIEVE THAT), then you're good. Getting the con to stand is the easiest way to do that, but it's also the quickest way to piss a con off to insist that they actually stand up for the count. A good officer has a variety of tools and techniques to achieve the desired effect.

If you really need an Inmate to stand for count it's simple. If he doesn't want to stand for count then finish the count as you normally would. Grab a blank piece of paper and head back down to the cell and slip it through the door. When he gets out of bed to get the paper then it's mission accomplished. I know....er I mean I heard somewhere that works.

BZ

BravoZulu
Grand Poobah

Postby BravoZulu » Thu May 26, 2011 4:45 am

Darkhare wrote:Weird, I know of at least two fellow applicants who are equally qualified as I am. (one more than me)... and they didn't get a test invite but I did..... confusing.

Wrote at UBC pac region.... anyone have any idea how long test results take?

One of the biggest factors to weed people out is not filling out the application correctly. So you can have identical qualifications as your friends but if they don't actually say that they have a certain qualification then they are deemed not to have that qualification. Of course I don't know if that's what happened but I think it's probably accurate.
I've stated before and please believe me.....a clerk or someone like that will scan through applications looking for the basic requirements. If any of the requirements is not listed even though you obviously have that qualification then you are out. They aren't going to spend a lot of time trying to dig through an application to see if the requirements are met...they'll just move on.

I'd be curious to know what a side by side comparison of yours and your friends applications looks like. Maybe YOU can see something missing.

Rookie Member

Postby 0010010 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:18 am

Anyone did the grand cache interview yet?

NewToThePlace
Rookie Member

Postby NewToThePlace » Thu May 26, 2011 7:02 am

hi guys,

just wondering, anyone here working in kent/matsqui know of anyone that organizes car pooling to and from work ?