Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
SupahDuck
King Poobah

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby SupahDuck » Fri May 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Ummagumma wrote:I can't tell you anything about the job itself because I am brand spanking new. However, I am fresh from CTP and, like you, I do not have a background that involved corrections or firearms. I heard about the number of tests, firearms and otherwise, the retest policy, and the potential for release from the program and was a little concerned. But, if you are in fact respectful, hard working and -- IMHO -- willing to check your ego at the door, your instructors and fellow recruits will make sure you learn what you need to know to get through the testing at CTP. My experience of CTP was that it is not designed to make people fail.

Exactly! :mrgreen:
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

portystylz
Rookie Member

Postby portystylz » Fri May 13, 2011 5:18 pm

I wrote the test's in Ottawa this morning there were 50-60 max in the English side anyway,the test's did't seem to tough so anyone that hasn't written them yet relax a little bit rather than work yourselves up and you'll be fine goodluck!! :D
Last edited by portystylz on Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve698
Rookie Member

Postby Steve698 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:58 pm

melgirl_89 wrote:
Steve698 wrote:
melgirl_89 wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone who has been to the staff college in Saskatoon who could PM me as I have some questions about the facilities/accommodations, and I'd really appreciate speaking to someone who has been there.

Thanks so much!

When are you supposed to start Stage 3 in Saskatoon? You should receive an email with "Joining Instructions" for Stage 3. It should answer most or all of the questions you have such as where you are staying, when to arrive, meal accommodations, transportation, etc. I feel your pain though. Everything seems very confusing and last minute information. You'll get used to not knowing things ahead of time haha.
Which institution are you assigned to?

I start stage 3 June 28th, I just started my online training last week.

I'm going to Stony Mountain! :) What about you!?

Nice. Well good luck with the online training and the other stages to follow.

I'm going to Edmonton Institution provided I pass the training.

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Fri May 13, 2011 8:55 pm

Damn, How early do they tell you where you'll be headed?

We have several institutions in the area but one (kent) really isn't an option for me.. I own my place and a 1.5 hour commute would be ridiculous!

Federal1
Rookie Member

Postby Federal1 » Fri May 13, 2011 9:46 pm

if you are in the PAC region, there is a very good chance you will be going to Kent. The other institutions just got a good amount of people from the last to groups that went through..not to say that they won't need more, but in the last three CORES most have come to Kent. I would say be prepared to either A: drive that long or B: rent a place closer whileyou work, and people do do that...

smarshall
Grand Poobah

Postby smarshall » Fri May 13, 2011 11:15 pm

or drive the 1.5 along hwy 7.You get used to anything after 21 years

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Sat May 14, 2011 12:43 am

smarshall wrote:or drive the 1.5 along hwy 7.You get used to anything after 21 years

Wow... respect.. I guess you just learn to look at it as a time to relax, not just a commute.

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Sat May 14, 2011 1:45 am

Darkhare wrote:Damn, How early do they tell you where you'll be headed?

We have several institutions in the area but one (kent) really isn't an option for me.. I own my place and a 1.5 hour commute would be ridiculous!

There have been longer drives then that. It comes down to do you want to work for CSC or not? You have a choice you know. If driving isnt your cup of tea, then explore other options in either a different career, or rental or car pool. Choice is yours.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

dude smile
Rookie Member

Postby dude smile » Sat May 14, 2011 3:08 am

I've been looking at the CSC site and searching this thread but I haven't been able to find an agreed upon answer. What exactly is the vision requirements to be a CO? I recently went for a Lasik consultation and found out I wasn't eligible for the surgery so policing and customs are out of the picture. My vision is 20/20 corrected but 20/200 uncorrected.

FrankCastle
Rookie Member

Postby FrankCastle » Sat May 14, 2011 4:04 am

dude smile wrote:I've been looking at the CSC site and searching this thread but I haven't been able to find an agreed upon answer. What exactly is the vision requirements to be a CO? I recently went for a Lasik consultation and found out I wasn't eligible for the surgery so policing and customs are out of the picture. My vision is 20/20 corrected but 20/200 uncorrected.

I took a look at the csc webpage along with our internal webpage and for the life of me I can't find anything about the vision requirements. It generally says in the posting on the jobs.emplois.gc.ca webpage, but there isn't any current postings. I would suggest maybe emailing someone in recruiting about it? (http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/carinf/contact-eng.shtml).

ladybug
Rookie Member

Postby ladybug » Sat May 14, 2011 9:39 am

If you are applying for PAC region, Kent and Mountain SHOULD be an option for you. I have a long commute as well, but it's worth it! From what I understand the majority of people in PAC region go to those 2 institutions.
After your year probation you can apply for a transfer to abbotsford (but may/will be on a waiting list for a while... )

Tsweimer
Rookie Member

Postby Tsweimer » Sat May 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Does anyone know how many people were invited (roughly) to write the test this week in the PAC region?

I'd also like to state an original question, just thinking out loud, if I was not asked to start testing would it do me any good to get in touch with the recruiting office and ask about my application status?
Last edited by Tsweimer on Sat May 14, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Steve698
Rookie Member

Postby Steve698 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:34 pm

They tell you before you start CTP. You get an email asking you if you want to start CTP for a specific institution. In my case, it said Edmonton. If you don't want to go to the desired institution you can do a couple of things. First, you can try contacted the recruitment office in your area (PAC regional recruitment HQ for you) and tell them the situation. Ask them if there is another place you could be considered for. I know a couple of people off of the top of my head who did this and it worked out in their favour. The worst they can say is no. You can also simply reply to the email or call them saying that you would like to know when the next core is going through for another institution and if you could possibly get on that core. Just because they email you and ASK you if you want to start CTP, it doesn't mean that you have to go to that place. You can take a chance and wait to be contacted again for another institution. Bottom line is, you don't have to go to the institution they specified, but there might not be another opportunity for another while. You can always transfer somewhere else after a year anyway.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

Steve698
Rookie Member

Postby Steve698 » Sat May 14, 2011 3:39 pm

dude smile wrote:I've been looking at the CSC site and searching this thread but I haven't been able to find an agreed upon answer. What exactly is the vision requirements to be a CO? I recently went for a Lasik consultation and found out I wasn't eligible for the surgery so policing and customs are out of the picture. My vision is 20/20 corrected but 20/200 uncorrected.

I do not know the exact vision requirements, but I recently did my medical a couple of months ago and passed. My vision is not good at all without glasses or contacts. As long as you can see with corrective glasses/contacts you should be fine. If you can see the first big "E" and somehow manage to see the second line of the eye chart without corrective support then you will be fine. I'm pretty confident that if I can pass, then anyone can haha.
You probably should call the recruitment office and ask them though. They would know more than me for sure. Maybe don't mention your name though so they don't know who you are. I don't know if it matters, but just a thought.
Good luck!

Whitebrown
Sage Member

Postby Whitebrown » Sat May 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Hasn't PAC gone back to having recruits list their preference and then have CORE performance be the deciding factor?

Mission just got seven recruits, so I can't see us needing anymore.