Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
portystylz
Rookie Member

Re: Applying to Correctional Service Canada

Postby portystylz » Fri May 13, 2011 12:59 am

Goodluck to everyone else that is writing the test in Ottawa in the morning!!! :thumbsup:

melgirl_89
Rookie Member

Postby melgirl_89 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 am

Steve698 wrote:
melgirl_89 wrote:I was just wondering if there's anyone who has been to the staff college in Saskatoon who could PM me as I have some questions about the facilities/accommodations, and I'd really appreciate speaking to someone who has been there.

Thanks so much!

When are you supposed to start Stage 3 in Saskatoon? You should receive an email with "Joining Instructions" for Stage 3. It should answer most or all of the questions you have such as where you are staying, when to arrive, meal accommodations, transportation, etc. I feel your pain though. Everything seems very confusing and last minute information. You'll get used to not knowing things ahead of time haha.
Which institution are you assigned to?

I start stage 3 June 28th, I just started my online training last week.

I'm going to Stony Mountain! :) What about you!?
Mel

Ummagumma
Rookie Member

Postby Ummagumma » Fri May 13, 2011 2:02 am

JrPI wrote:Sorry I guess I stated the question wrong. I did not want to know what is on the test. I have little experience with firearms and I am worried about the failure rate at CTP. Being in my 40's; I am mature, respectful hard worker...but I am concerned about my lack of knowledge with Corrections and firearms. It would be extremely disappointing and humiliating to fail the process.
Don't get me wrong, I am really looking forward to a career change but the risk of failure vs success makes me nervous.
Are there normally a lot of mature persons in there 40 - 50 range in training?

I can't tell you anything about the job itself because I am brand spanking new. However, I am fresh from CTP and, like you, I do not have a background that involved corrections or firearms. I heard about the number of tests, firearms and otherwise, the retest policy, and the potential for release from the program and was a little concerned. But, if you are in fact respectful, hard working and -- IMHO -- willing to check your ego at the door, your instructors and fellow recruits will make sure you learn what you need to know to get through the testing at CTP. My experience of CTP was that it is not designed to make people fail.

snow319
Rookie Member

Postby snow319 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:32 pm

Hi there all, Just wondeirng if anyone has been contacted to write the test for the ontario region for the last job posting (April 2011) or is everyone still in hurry up and wait mode.

Thanks

former mleo
Rookie Member

Postby former mleo » Fri May 13, 2011 1:41 pm

snow319 wrote:Hi there all, Just wondeirng if anyone has been contacted to write the test for the ontario region for the last job posting (April 2011) or is everyone still in hurry up and wait mode.

Thanks

Just wrote it, not too bad

røly
Rookie Member

Postby røly » Fri May 13, 2011 1:51 pm

Writing it in London on the 16th

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Fri May 13, 2011 1:52 pm

snow319 wrote:Hi there all, Just wondeirng if anyone has been contacted to write the test for the ontario region for the last job posting (April 2011) or is everyone still in hurry up and wait mode.

Thanks

Wrote it yesterday in Kingston.

Almc
Rookie Member

Postby Almc » Fri May 13, 2011 2:11 pm

Hi all,
I write in Calgary next week. Just wondering what the majority of people were wearing? How many pol were writing at your time?
Thanks

melgirl_89
Rookie Member

Postby melgirl_89 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Almc wrote:Hi all,
I write in Calgary next week. Just wondering what the majority of people were wearing? How many pol were writing at your time?
Thanks

I personally wore dress pants, and a nice shirt. Very few people wore suits, some people wore jeans and casual wear. From my understanding the monitors for the testing were not CSC employees, but public service employees in another department.
Mel

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:20 pm

Thanks

There were all sorts there yesterday. Nobody was really "dressed up". I wore comfortable trousers and a nice shirt. I think there were maybe 225-250ish writing in Kingston.

Darkhare
Rookie Member

Postby Darkhare » Fri May 13, 2011 2:23 pm

WCPT and in house test tomorrow....

I have no idea what to prepare... the wcpt example question seems similar to the LPI so that'll be fine.. but I can't find any info on how to prepare for the inhouse... i don't have a clue... oh well, i revisited long division and will hope for the best.. (been 10 years since writing a real essay, haven't had to do any complex math in the last decade either... )

What should I wear for the test? Jeans n golf shirt or go with the dress attire? I assume nobody will know who I am during the test, but maybe dress up to be safe..edit* saw post above.... as long as it's not an affliction tapout hoodie we should be okay i think...

(reading back on the boots: you have to supply your own boots? what else?.... i really wish this information was more readily available through official means.... *shakeshead*)

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri May 13, 2011 2:56 pm

Fingerscrossed1 wrote:
Thanks

There were all sorts there yesterday. Nobody was really "dressed up". I wore comfortable trousers and a nice shirt. I think there were maybe 225-250ish writing in Kingston.

WOW :shock: CRAZY STUFF!

Fingerscrossed1
Rookie Member

Postby Fingerscrossed1 » Fri May 13, 2011 2:58 pm

FedCO wrote:
Fingerscrossed1 wrote:
Thanks

WOW :shock: CRAZY STUFF!

We were in the big Queen Auditorium, and with the spacing between us, I believe that is how many there were. All different ages, all different types.

Kat
Rookie Member

Postby Kat » Fri May 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Fingerscrossed1 wrote:
Thanks

I wore dress pants and a blouse yesterday. Lots of people in jeans and shorts.