Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
st83
Rookie Member

Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Postby st83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:43 pm

Hey Guys,

Just wondering how many people out there are currently gunning for WPS class 151. Not much chatter out there for WPS applicants.

bluefox
Rookie Member

Re: Winnipeg Police Service class 151

Postby bluefox » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:34 pm

Hey! :wave:

Yep... hoping for class 151!

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:21 pm

Sweet! Ready for the long road ahead lol?! I just finished going through class #150... passed the panel interview, passed the BGI, passed the medical and did the psych, and then got bumped to this class when they did the selection panel... I guess too many were pushed through then given budget for. So now I just have to redo my background. Make sure I wasn't a bonehead over the past 5mths since the last time I did one I guess. If you have any questions or anything, since I've been through the process in it's entirety, I'm pretty well educated in it all and know what to expect so feel free to ask. I'll tell you 1 thing... It's a lot of hurry up and wait!!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:23 pm

Also in for 151. Interviews in March. As I'm out of town I have to do all my BGI stuff even before the Panel. The hurry ups already begun for me. Before I applied they told me I'd need my MB class 4 equivalent before I was made an offer to go to training and said this would not be until June-ish, so I figured I had some time. Well I got a letter for my BGI stuff telling me I need it by April 24th which is wonderfully also finals time for me. Topping it off Quebec just once again made it mandatory to have formal drivers training before getting your basic license this month so things are nice a backed up by the rush of teenagers, not too worried, yet. They also want a 45 day (I think, have to look again) current diving abstract, unfortunately I it takes SAAQ for weeks to mail me one and I only have 3 to get it. Fun fun, I love it!

ST83, yeah I'd guess you are an easy pass for BGI considering you passed it only 5 months ago.

On the second interview (the background one?) did they tell you right away if you passed, and then did the investigation or is it all part-in-parcel of the Background stage, not like a part A (Interview) part B Investigation?

Good luck to you guys, and you lurkers too ;)

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:58 am

I'm a little different as I am not an out of town applicant. I did the panel interview on a Tues, got called Friday telling me I passed, then did my BGI about 2 1/2 weeks after. I did my BGI in mid sept, and got the call that I passed end of Oct so it definitly takes some time. The way I understand it for out of town applicants to limit travel time is you do your panel interview and BGI on the same day... If you pass the panel which they will tell you that day you'll go straight to the BGI interview and then they will start there investigation after that.

Edit... Sorry I miss read your question... They don't tell you right after if you passed your BGI. You do the interview and then they start there investigation. They are going to ask you for financials, friends lists, family members, that kind of stuff. It takes awhile to hear back from it.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:06 pm

st83 wrote:I'm a little different as I am not an out of town applicant. I did the panel interview on a Tues, got called Friday telling me I passed, then did my BGI about 2 1/2 weeks after. I did my BGI in mid sept, and got the call that I passed end of Oct so it definitly takes some time. The way I understand it for out of town applicants to limit travel time is you do your panel interview and BGI on the same day... If you pass the panel which they will tell you that day you'll go straight to the BGI interview and then they will start there investigation after that.

Edit... Sorry I miss read your question... They don't tell you right after if you passed your BGI. You do the interview and then they start there investigation. They are going to ask you for financials, friends lists, family members, that kind of stuff. It takes awhile to hear back from it.

Yes that's right, they told me I will get my BGI Int the same day or the next day if I pass the panel. I already had most the info they wanted me to submit since I'm renewing a Government Security Clearance as well ATM. It's just not in the format they want but won't be as labour intensive as starting cold.

I talked to them before I applied and they said having lived overseas recently won't be a problem but I'm still not expecting a quick return on my BG investigation due to the amount of places in and out of country I've lived in the last 10 years. Maybe my investigator can get WPS to pay for a trip Europe to interview people I knew there :thumbsup: Buuut I doubt it.

Noel1
Rookie Member

Postby Noel1 » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi all,

I hope everyone's applications are coming along fine. I am hopefully going to be applying for class 152, as long as they don't decide to do that class right away. I presently live in Taiwan, where I am a teacher, and I am moving back to Winnipeg in the late summer.

I am rather concerned about my BGI (I know that I am no-where near applying yet, but I need to know what to get ready before I leave here). I have lived quite a bit in and out of Canada over the last ten years - my MA was in Asian Languages, and it was necessary for research. After graduating, I tried for some government jobs while teaching in Vancouver, but after getting laid off of my teaching job there, and not having the government jobs work out (after almost 2 years applying!), my wife and I came back to Taiwan for teaching, where we have been for the last 2.5 years.

In truth, I have nothing to hide, and I have had quite good relationships with my co-workers, bosses, etc. . I just worry that when they see how much time I have lived out of country, that they may just say no way (not to mention almost definitely needing someone who speaks good Mandarin for calls to previous employers). Anyone with advice who had similar life experience? Madeline?

Just to give you an idea, by summer, over the last 5 years, the last 3 will have been in Taiwan. The 2 years before that in Vancouver. Before that it was 3 years in Taiwan, then 1 year in Montreal, then 2 years in Taiwan. Before that it was all Winnipeg/ Toronto for my upbringing.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:22 am

Honestly, I would say not to worry about it. The thing about your background is that you can't really prepare for it, and your history is your history, you can't change it now. I wouldn't worry about whether they will be able to call certain people or not, that's for your investigator to handle. Having life experience like that is not a bad thing at all, so I wouldn't stress about it at all. Your best bet is to apply, take it step by step and when you get to your background you just will have to work with your investigator in whatever requests they have.

For now, do your research on the WPS, make sure you know everything there is to know about not only the force, but the recruiting process and go from there.

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:19 am

Passed me Panel and did my BG interview yesterday. BG interview went ok, I think lol. There were a few things I should have taken more time to think about but I have a lot of years to remember. Now just the short wait to hear back.

Noel1

I can't talk about the BG interview but can tell you to call recruiting and lay out your situation. If they say no propblem, as they did with me, then it won't be a big issue in BGI. This is what I did for reference or contacts. Like you I lived in Canada all my life before doing the overseas thing, so you might have some friends you knew then and kept up with even via email or facebook you can use. Put a few of them in plus ones that can attest to knowing you in person in each of the places you lived so you have a face to face continuity so to speak. Even if you kept in contact with old friends they will still know about what you were doing. If they say "I don't know where he went after 2001, then they might not be the best choice. I've never been super overly social or one to keep close ties to those I knew overseas so it was a bit hard but I got the best references and names I could under the circumstances, its all you can do really.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:58 pm

Congrats Madeline! Now you get to go through the stressful wait for that phone call that you passed and are on to psych and medical (which I will tell you that psych test is a treat lol)!

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:33 pm

The psych is probably the easiest, it's just long and seems redundant (if you don't legitimately suffer from any mental health issues)
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

st83
Rookie Member

Postby st83 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:51 pm

lol... oh it's not hard, it's just like you said, long and redundant! Like how many different ways can they word the question are you suicidal lol!

bluefox
Rookie Member

Postby bluefox » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:19 pm

Hey guys,

Had my Pannel today, now to wait for the call!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 pm

Congrats Bluefox!

Madeline236
Grand Poobah

Postby Madeline236 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:05 pm

Jim Street wrote:The psych is probably the easiest, it's just long and seems redundant (if you don't legitimately suffer from any mental health issues)

I hope there is no ink blot tests. Those things all look like evil clowns to me 88)