McMaster University P/T Special Constable

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

McMaster University P/T Special Constable

Postby Dave Jenkins » Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:44 pm

https://mcmastercareers.hua.hrsmart.com ... ?reqid=349

Part Time Special Constable - 349
This details all the information about the job posting. To submit your resume, click on the 'Submit your Resume to this Job' button.

Open Date -08/11/2009
Closing Date - 08/18/2009

Division - Security & Parking Services

Location -Central Campus

Position Type - CAW Local 555

Job Type - Regular Part-time

Hours per Week
Up to 24 hours/week - $25.41/hour

Schedule Type - Other

Education
College Diploma

Job Description

A Part-time Special Constable (Security Officer) is required to be accountable for the safety and protection of life and property within the University community. Patrolling the campus grounds and buildings on foot and by vehicle will be required during each shift for maximum visibility towards prevention, observation and enforcement of laws. The incumbent will be physically capable of performing these duties.

Job Requirements

A Law and Security Diploma from a Community College (or equivalent) or having recently served as a sworn member of a Canadian Police Service, along with a valid Ontario Driver's License and active CPR and First Aid Certifications are required. Keyboarding skills are essential to this position. Final candidates will undergo a pre-employment medical examination and written and psychological examinations along with extensive criminal background investigations. The successful candidate must be able to achieve and maintain special constable status
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

48highlander
Rookie Member

Re: McMaster University P/T Special Constable

Postby 48highlander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:08 pm

Just a question how has having the part-timers worked out for you guys.

48highlander
Rookie Member

Postby 48highlander » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:10 pm

Oh and saw this today as well

U of T Special Constable St. George Campus
http://www.campuspolice.utoronto.ca/Ass ... PC+APP.pdf

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:59 am

48highlander wrote:Just a question how has having the part-timers worked out for you guys.

We only have(had) two and from my understanding that is where it will remain. It seemed to work better than I had thought it would. Extra bodies are extra bodies. No full timers did without (lost hours or O/T chances) and it did allow us to maneuver staff so that a) we could get number strength when needed and b) allow some F/T officers to take time off they might not otherwise been able to get.

Part time is a reality now in our global workforce and I guest for the foreseeable future. It is something that takes a little getting used to. Our F/T officers were understandably apprehensive at first and watched every move (so to speak) but no real issues arose.

I think the hard part is getting the right people to become interested in a part time position. The candidates either need to be looking for only part time; use it as a lateral move from a lower paying position where they will make basically the same but for only working half the hours; or can afford to sit and wait in hopes it turns into a full time opportunity.
An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it.
-Mahatma Gandhi

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:18 am

So in other words....the part time guys work for the full time guys. I’ve done a gig like this before. Never seems to work out. Unless Dave said, you find the right person who doesn’t mind coming in at last minute calls, covering vacation times and don’t forget that when you want to book off time or call in sick its just not allowed.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:16 am

Our P/T officers were put on a schedule with the understanding that they may be needed to fill in on short notice. It has worked OK and when you include that they could apply for O/T that was posted and if no F/T officers wanted it they got it and with the O/T we've seen this past year they got a taste.

The two that we have/had didn't seem to mind all that much. When you consider what is out there job wise is might not be a bad gig for some. You can make as much as you would working full time on some other jobs and doing it for only half the hours.

As I has said it is something you have to rap your head around at the beginning. If you are looking at it as a stepping stone to full time it will be a gamble as to how long before there might be an opening. Our younger folks seem to be on a winning streak where getting on police services are concerned (over the last few years 2 to HPS-maybe a 3rd soon, 1 to the RCMP and another to Peel).
-Mahatma Gandhi

TackleberryOnDuty
Rookie Member

Postby TackleberryOnDuty » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:10 pm

Hope there are no former Hamilton Police officers in the application pool this time around. Makes for some pretty tough competition. ;)
"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car"

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:07 pm

TackleberryOnDuty wrote:Hope there are no former Hamilton Police officers in the application pool this time around. Makes for some pretty tough competition. ;)

The one we hired (F/T) is a great fit. Plenty of knowledge that he is willing to share with the younger folks and without attitude (towards other not having been a police constable). Some others that didn't make it simply looked at the job as it was going to be a joke job and that came across. Our boss, a retired HPS Superintendent, was shocked at some of the attitudes. One was stopped by our officers for a traffic matter en-route to testing and was an obnoxious ass (do you know who I am...BS). That encounter made it to the boss's desk before numpty's test results. His BS cost him.

You would be surprised how many PC's are not interested in going back to square one particularly when they discover how much actual work they will be doing.
-Mahatma Gandhi

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:42 pm

So your hiring ether 1 or 2, right? Not that im Interested but it doesnt say anywhere. Unless I missed it.

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:09 pm

ToyCopp wrote:So your hiring ether 1 or 2, right? Not that im Interested but it doesnt say anywhere. Unless I missed it.

The way it is written suggests 1 but we are loosing both (one to full time one to a police agency). I am on vacation so wasn't in the direct loop as to when and how many.
-Mahatma Gandhi

devilwoman
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby devilwoman » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:49 pm

For anyone who is interested in the position and what to expect for training and such...feel free to PM me. I'm one of the newer constables who "mentors" new hires (OACUSA training) and I'm more than willing to answer anyone's questions.

With that being said...I'm in New Brunswick on holiday until the 21st of August so if I don't reply right away be patient....
"Don't let someone get comfortable disrespecting you."

T.M.DIESEL
King Poobah

Postby T.M.DIESEL » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:22 pm

devilwoman wrote:For anyone who is interested in the position and what to expect for training and such...feel free to PM me. I'm one of the newer constables who "mentors" new hires (OACUSA training) and I'm more than willing to answer anyone's questions.

With that being said...I'm in New Brunswick on holiday until the 21st of August so if I don't reply right away be patient....

Does that make the kid Yoda. :P
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards." -- Unknown

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to
take everything you have.--Thomas Jefferson

ToyCopp

Postby ToyCopp » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:15 pm

devilwoman wrote:For anyone who is interested in the position and what to expect for training and such...feel free to PM me. I'm one of the newer constables who "mentors" new hires (OACUSA training) and I'm more than willing to answer anyone's questions.

:tumbleweed:

Steve Underwood
Rookie Member

Postby Steve Underwood » Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Anyone else attending the testing this Monday?

Dave Jenkins
Grand Poobah

Postby Dave Jenkins » Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:41 pm

T.M.DIESEL wrote:Does that make the kid Yoda. :P

She hops on their back and makes them carry her through Cootes Paradise. Claims it builds character. :ponder:
-Mahatma Gandhi