Things to do before Depot

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
User avatar
SportsGal
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: Pacific Region
Contact:

Things to do before Depot

Postby SportsGal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:45 pm

Hey everyone, I have been lurking around these forums for the past couple months to read about everyones experiences and opinions and I finally decided to post to ask about Depot..

My boyfriend is finally in the last stages of his RCMP application. He is in "E" Division and was just told this morning that he passed his BGI and they are doing his security clearance right now. They said it should take on average a month, at most two so be prepared for the worst and not to get too anxious if it's been a month and a half and he hasn't heard anything back. (By the way, I read that being in this stage still isn't a guarantee for him for employment and he can still be deferred.. But what can come up to cause something like that??)

So now my question is, what are some things you suggest that he should do before Depot? Like as soon as he gets the call to go and gets assigned a troop number and date, what are some necessary things you should do? To tie up loose ends and have things ready for being gone for 6 months.. For instance, I am assuming having all his bills being taken out automatically would be useful so he doesn't have to worry about that. Anything you can think of that you found that was helpful would be great.

Is it true that they suggest that you have all your things packed and ready to move before you leave for Depot? Any opinions would be great :D
Last edited by SportsGal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graduated Rigaud OITP 3 - June 2014

User avatar
SportsGal
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: Pacific Region
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby SportsGal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:26 pm

.
Last edited by SportsGal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graduated Rigaud OITP 3 - June 2014

User avatar
WILLPOWER
Rookie Member
Posts: 16
Joined: Sun May 07, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: QC, CANADA
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby WILLPOWER » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:22 pm

SportsGal wrote:Oh, by the way I know how you guys love to see timelines so I made up a rough one that Brandon went through..

'E' Division
RPAB - (Passed) Wrote on December 17th/07
Pkg Rec'd - Jan 7th/08
Pkg Sent – Feb 13th
PARE - 3:54 - Feb 7th
Telephone Interview – March 17th
RM-SI- (Passed) April 4th
Polygraph- (Passed-April 24th)
Psych- (Passed) May 28th
Medical – Completed
PARE #2 – 3:34 – June 12th
BGI- Done (start: May 19th, finished July 18th)
Security Clearance in progress..


When you say Telephone Interview, you mean when they call you to verify some of your Poly question and tell you that you will be called for the RMSI?
RCMP North West region

User avatar
SportsGal
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:30 pm
Location: Pacific Region
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby SportsGal » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:47 pm

.
Last edited by SportsGal on Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graduated Rigaud OITP 3 - June 2014

User avatar
sportyspice
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby sportyspice » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:25 pm

SportsGal wrote:So now my question is, what are some things you suggest that he should do before Depot? Like as soon as he gets the call to go and gets assigned a troop number and date, what are some necessary things you should do? To tie up loose ends and have things ready for being gone for 6 months.. For instance, I am assuming having all his bills being taken out automatically would be useful so he doesn't have to worry about that. Anything you can think of that you found that was helpful would be great.

Any opinions would be great :D


My husband was at depot last year. He didn't do a lot before he went, but here's a few things I can think of:

We found it really helpful to change his cell phone plan to includes a decent number of "within Canada" long-distance minutes (I think 200 minutes a month), so that we could talk a few times a week on the phone. We talked several times a week, sometimes only for a minute, sometimes for much longer.

Cancel car insurance if you can (i.e. if you have a garage where you can keep his vehicle parked with just storage insurance for the six months).

Have a big party - that's the best part of going away!

Pack light. Anything he needs like white t-shirts, storage bin, etc., he can get there at Wal-Mart (better to make sure he knows exactly what to get than to guess and get it wrong). The cadet handbook on the RCMP website explains dress code for the mess hall, etc., so make sure you read that so he knows what to take. Plus, you can always ship him stuff that he forgets/needs (Greyhound is cheap). Personal storage space at depot is pretty limited.

My husband did a lot of reading about the history of the RCMP. (Really important.) He also learned the phonetic alphabet (alpha, bravo, charlie, delta, etc.) and started memorizing 10-codes. It saved him some time when he got there to already know that stuff.

As far as packing/preparing to move... before my husband left he did some fix-it stuff around the house, and then after he left I cleared a ton of stuff out of our storage space and tried not to accumulate anything more, just in case we had to sell quickly. Our plan was that if he got posted away from where we live then he'd go there to start work and just rent a place, and I'd stay to sell the house, etc. (We ended up staying so it was all good.) Remember if you get relocated the RCMP moves you so you don't really have to do all that much other than pack the boxes, etc. One troop-mate who relocated from Ontario to BC didn't have to start at his new posting till 3 weeks after graduation. Plus you'll find out his posting about 4 weeks before graduation so that gives you some time, too.

Oh, and If he's not already a runner, tell him to get started now so it won't come as such a shock...

Hope that helps!
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

User avatar
Chris B
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: PQ
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Chris B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:32 am

sportyspice wrote:As far as packing/preparing to move... before my husband left he did some fix-it stuff around the house, and then after he left I cleared a ton of stuff out of our storage space and tried not to accumulate anything more, just in case we had to sell quickly. Our plan was that if he got posted away from where we live then he'd go there to start work and just rent a place, and I'd stay to sell the house, etc. (We ended up staying so it was all good.) Remember if you get relocated the RCMP moves you so you don't really have to do all that much other than pack the boxes, etc. One troop-mate who relocated from Ontario to BC didn't have to start at his new posting till 3 weeks after graduation. Plus you'll find out his posting about 4 weeks before graduation so that gives you some time, too.

Oh, and If he's not already a runner, tell him to get started now so it won't come as such a shock...

Hope that helps!


You don't even need to pack the boxes. The moving company does that for insurance purposes. Oh and they unpack at the new place too.

User avatar
BliTzKri3g
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:07 am
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby BliTzKri3g » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:58 am

The person telling me about depot over the phone also told me about Hockey and to bring your equipment for the friday/saturday games at the arena. Would you reccommend this or would this take up to much space?

User avatar
Chris B
Rookie Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Jan 02, 2007 1:28 pm
Location: PQ
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Chris B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:49 pm

A troopmate of mine brought his golf clubs. He didn't really have the time to play. I can't say about hockey though. It could count as a competency. I doubt it though.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.

User avatar
sportyspice
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:44 pm
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby sportyspice » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:48 pm

There is a storage area for bicycles so you may be able to store other sports equipment there, too, but I'm not sure. I would probably wait till I got there and have it shipped once I figured out what's what. Definitely no room to store hockey gear within the dorm.
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

User avatar
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Depot Web » Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:35 pm

BliTzKri3g wrote:The person telling me about depot over the phone also told me about Hockey and to bring your equipment for the friday/saturday games at the arena. Would you reccommend this or would this take up to much space?

A lot of cadets have their gear flown out once ice hockey season starts (last year it was November to mid-March).

There's no arena at the RCMP Academy; games are played at various community rinks.

Floor hockey runs throughout the year. Sticks are provided but most prefer to bring their own.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

User avatar
CourtOfficer
Site Admin
Posts: 6036
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 1:01 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby CourtOfficer » Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:00 pm

They have hockey at OPC too along with every sport you could imagine from ultimate frisbee to basketball to Judo. When I was there, I thought to myself, how easy would it be to turn an ankle or blow a hamstring and have it put a big question mark on my future in policing? So, I pretty much stayed out of most sports except for some leisurely badminton and lifting weights. Something to consider...

CO

User avatar
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Depot Web » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:33 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:They have hockey at OPC too along with every sport you could imagine from ultimate frisbee to basketball to Judo. When I was there, I thought to myself, how easy would it be to turn an ankle or blow a hamstring and have it put a big question mark on my future in policing? So, I pretty much stayed out of most sports except for some leisurely badminton and lifting weights. Something to consider...

CO

Very good point. I have seen cadets sent home due to extra-curricular sport-related injuries. It may go against everything your old coach told you, but pick-up floor hockey at Depot isn't the time to give "110%". It's better to ease up a little and stay healthy.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division

Dragon5
Rookie Member
Posts: 0
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 12:18 am
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Dragon5 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:36 pm

Can you bring your Bike to depot? I saw at hing in the handbook about that but it wasnt realy clear if you bring your own, or if they have them there?

User avatar
Depot Web
Rookie Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:47 am
Location: RCMP Academy, "Depot" Division, Regina, Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Things to do before Depot

Postby Depot Web » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:30 pm

Dragon5 wrote:Can you bring your Bike to depot? I saw at hing in the handbook about that but it wasnt realy clear if you bring your own, or if they have them there?

You can bring your own, but there are plenty of bikes available for cadets to sign out. For the bike nerds out there, they're 2006 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Discs.

You can also sign out helmets, but some choose to bring their own.
David Calam
RCMP "Depot" Division


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests