PARE-> Best way to vault over bar

Health and fitness discussion. Discuss exercise routines, dieting plans, workout regimens, healthy living, etc.
SD_SC1
Rookie Member

PARE-> Best way to vault over bar

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:01 pm

I have to run my PARE tomorrow morning and I'm beyond nervous. What's the best method for someone of a shorter stature to vault over the bar? Also, how do you do a controlled fall?
Sed libera nos a malo.

bips
Rookie Member

Re: PARE-> Best way to vault over bar

Postby bips » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:12 pm

It really depends on how you want to do it! Some people find it easier to use both hands to vault over or just use one. I find its better using both hands to grip the bar as it gives u a stronger jump but some people find its quicker to do it with one hand. Just take it easy, get some good sleep and dont be nervous....its over pretty quick :)
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:34 pm

bips wrote:Just take it easy, get some good sleep and dont be nervous....its over pretty quick :)

Normally something like this wouldn't make me nervous, but I don't know how my body is going to respond to this. I've been medically cleared, but I still hurt everywhere from my accident a month ago. I took today off work just to be on the safe side.

I'm not allowed to just step over the bar by any chance, am I?
Sed libera nos a malo.

Chris B
Rookie Member

Postby Chris B » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:43 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
bips wrote:Just take it easy, get some good sleep and dont be nervous....its over pretty quick :)

Normally something like this wouldn't make me nervous, but I don't know how my body is going to respond to this. I've been medically cleared, but I still hurt everywhere from my accident a month ago. I took today off work just to be on the safe side.

Were you cleared before or after the accident? I'm just asking because if you still hurt from the accident you should maybe ask if you can do it another time.

For your first question, you have to use the safest way to cross the 1 metre high vault. If you don't feel comfortable enough to jump, step over it but that will take a lot more time then jumping over it. A controlled fall is like going down on your back or your front from a standing position as fast as possible and then getting back up.

Good luck.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.

bips
Rookie Member

Postby bips » Fri Aug 08, 2008 3:53 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:

When I went for mine, there were a lot of people (including me) who thought it was easy. By the end of the test, I felt like my insides were on FIRE :oops: If you still hurt, maybe you should pay your doctor a visit again. If it was me I wouldn't care for it as when your actually doing it your adrenaline level spikes way up & blood pressures at the limit, you would hardly even care to pay attention to pain. My advice : Ball - up and quit over-thinking. Hows your stamina? How often do you run?
"The Sea Was Angry That Day, My Friends, like an Old Man Trying to send Back Soup in a Deli." George Costanza

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:03 pm

The purpose of the bar is to simulate a vault, so vault it. You said you're shorter stature how on Earth would you "step" over it? You'd be losing time.

The PARE is still easier than the POPAT in my opinion, if you have any ounce of anaerobic ability and the mindset people should be able to pass it.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:44 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:I have to run my PARE tomorrow morning and I'm beyond nervous. What's the best method for someone of a shorter stature to vault over the bar? Also, how do you do a controlled fall?

You should take a running start and circus dive through the silver uprights! LOL! Just kidding man I always just run up to the bar and put two hands on the bar and just jump over it.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:51 pm

bips wrote:If it was me I wouldn't care for it as when your actually doing it your adrenaline level spikes way up & blood pressures at the limit, you would hardly even care to pay attention to pain. My advice : Ball - up and quit over-thinking. Hows your stamina? How often do you run?

I'm actually hoping for an adrenaline rush. As for running, I used to go to the gym 2 hours a day 5 days a week. I was doing 45 minutes of cardio (run 1.5 miles then an interval inclined hike for the remaining time) and 75 minutes of weight training. Everything was going good until this blasted accident. I haven't really been able to go to the gym as being on my feet running around at work for 8 hours takes up my stamina. I'm still able to carry my 90 lbs dog around the house, however.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:58 pm

If you actually are training that way, I'd say you're overtraining. That is if you're doing the exercises correctly etc. Technically if you're eating and supplementing right you could be in phenomenal shape too but usually with that much cardio followed by weights, I'd say most people would be too tired to weightlift correctly.

45 minutes of weights 4x a week is enough. What you said is way too much time in the gym.
Opinions posted are my own sole opinion not reflective of any views/thoughts of agency. Answers may or may not be truthful, As if you couldn't tell.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:16 pm

Jim Street wrote:If you actually are training that way, I'd say you're overtraining. That is if you're doing the exercises correctly etc. Technically if you're eating and supplementing right you could be in phenomenal shape too but usually with that much cardio followed by weights, I'd say most people would be too tired to weightlift correctly.

45 minutes of weights 4x a week is enough. What you said is way too much time in the gym.

Yeah, but I'm trying to lose weight too, so I need to burn more calories than I consume. Unfortunately calorie cutting didn't work too good for me because I'm always hungry. Even at 1800-2000 calories/day I fine myself hungry again every couple of hours. I tried passing it off as psychological non-existing hunger pangs, but when the dizziness and lack of energy started kicking in I realized the hunger pangs were the real deal. There's nothing medically wrong with me so I don't know WTF is wrong. :dubious:

What do you mean by supplementing? Are you talking about protein shakes and crap? I don't do anything like that because I don't want to add bulk.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Jim Street
King Poobah

Postby Jim Street » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:27 pm

well, 75 minutes of weightlifting will add muscle.

supplementing is just that..supplementing your diet. Amino Acids, vitamins, protein, and general clean eating. Calories aren't just calories. Protein doesn't add bulk either.

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Fri Aug 08, 2008 8:08 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
Jim Street wrote:If you actually are training that way, I'd say you're overtraining. That is if you're doing the exercises correctly etc. Technically if you're eating and supplementing right you could be in phenomenal shape too but usually with that much cardio followed by weights, I'd say most people would be too tired to weightlift correctly.

Yeah, but I'm trying to lose weight too, so I need to burn more calories than I consume. Unfortunately calorie cutting didn't work too good for me because I'm always hungry. Even at 1800-2000 calories/day I fine myself hungry again every couple of hours. I tried passing it off as psychological non-existing hunger pangs, but when the dizziness and lack of energy started kicking in I realized the hunger pangs were the real deal. There's nothing medically wrong with me so I don't know WTF is wrong. :dubious:

What do you mean by supplementing? Are you talking about protein shakes and crap? I don't do anything like that because I don't want to add bulk.

Do basic cardio in the morning on an empty stomach to maximize fat burning. Do light weights, high reps for lean muscle.

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:07 am

I'm with you on the morning empty stomach cardio. I'm not with you on the "low weight/high rep" builds lean muscle. The same high intensity training will build and/or maintain muscle no matter how you're eating. Bodybuilders generally train that way close to a contest out of a need to because they're so depleted.

CO

Dirty Harry
Rookie Member

Postby Dirty Harry » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:49 am

CourtOfficer wrote:I'm with you on the morning empty stomach cardio. I'm not with you on the "low weight/high rep" builds lean muscle. The same high intensity training will build and/or maintain muscle no matter how you're eating. Bodybuilders generally train that way close to a contest out of a need to because they're so depleted.

CO

Was just trying to make it basic for SD_SC, she does seem to over analyze things at time. Thought a short answer would help her. We will soon find out....

DH
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:47 am

Dirty Harry wrote:
Was just trying to make it basic for SD_SC, she does seem to over analyze things at time.
DH

Me? Over-analyze things? No way. You have got to be kidding me. Actually, yeah, I over-analyze everything.

So today's the big day...

Well, added to the fun this morning I got some of that Lakota topical rub crap in my eye and now it's burning like an SOB, watering, and stuck shut. I hate OC.
Sed libera nos a malo.