RCMP APPLICANT GENERAL CHIT CHAT

Discuss the educational and physical requirements, testing process and background phase involved in the hiring process. Includes the experiences and advice of current and past applicants. All agency application related questions belong here.
Chris B
Rookie Member

Re: GENERAL RCMP APPLICANT CHIT CHAT

Postby Chris B » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:27 am

Double posting in the same forum ( blueline, world of warcraft or any other forum ) is just frowned upon.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:06 am

Kindog wrote:Dear Ryan 1986,

Please don't ruin a good resource for us recruits because you can't handle a little criticism and direction. Argyll was an instructor at Depot and has done an amazing job answering questions and giving advice to us recruits. You will learn that when you post a question on the the Ask a Recruiter forum you will not only get a response from a Recruiter but you will also get the odd private message from other recruits with their 2 cents. It is my opinion that redundancy is annoying.

X2
RCMP North West region

QJ...
Rookie Member

Postby QJ... » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:41 pm

Dear Ryan 1986
Looks like you cannot take different opinion and/or suggestion as just an opinion and /or suggestion and not as “personal attack” …..(It is just my opinion of course) :D

Few questions out of curiosity …… What exactly pissed you off in Argyll’s posting? Are you that sensitive? Do you think policing is right for you?
:swords:

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:20 pm

johnny_5 wrote:how confidential are the things you write in the polygraph booklet? Anybody out of the recruiting process has access to it? There are some things I don't want other people than them to know because I would be so embarassed. Do they talk about that in the BGI with your references?

Thanks!

My polygraph interviewer told me that everything was 100% confidential. I spent 3 hours with my face burning red from revealing all my deep dark secrets to a total stranger ("oh my god you need to know about THAT?!), but I never felt any concern that what I said would somehow make it back to anyone I knew.

My field (background) investigator told me that the only info he had about me was my references, and that he had no access to any other parts of my file.
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

Vonn
Rookie Member

Postby Vonn » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:26 pm

hmmmm that's interesting considering it's a background investigator's job to find out EVERYTHING about you. References are a part of his 'research'. If there's dirt to be found, it's the investigator's job to find it.
Instant Human... Just add Coffee!

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:56 pm

Vonn wrote:hmmmm that's interesting considering it's a background investigator's job to find out EVERYTHING about you. References are a part of his 'research'. If there's dirt to be found, it's the investigator's job to find it.

Sorry, let me clarify. From what I understand, there are several people who work on the background investigation. For example, the financial stuff (credit check, etc.), as well as the standard criminal background check, is not handled by the field investigator - that's all done first, and is done by someone other than the field investigator (probably someone sitting in an office in Ottawa, if I had to guess). My field investigator ONLY does the reference interviews and neighborhood check. (Hence the reason he's the "field" investigator - he only does the field work.) That's the way he explained it to me, anyway.
"On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time."

WILLPOWER
Rookie Member

Postby WILLPOWER » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:56 pm

sportyspice wrote:
johnny_5 wrote:how confidential are the things you write in the polygraph booklet? Anybody out of the recruiting process has access to it? There are some things I don't want other people than them to know because I would be so embarassed. Do they talk about that in the BGI with your references?

Thanks!

My polygraph interviewer told me that everything was 100% confidential. I spent 3 hours with my face burning red from revealing all my deep dark secrets to a total stranger ("oh my god you need to know about THAT?!), but I never felt any concern that what I said would somehow make it back to anyone I knew.

My field (background) investigator told me that the only info he had about me was my references, and that he had no access to any other parts of my file.

Wow what kind of question do they ask?
I was told they only ask the question from the pre-poly booklet.
I'm so a nice guy and did nothing wrong except for small thing when I was 14 or younger, that I think that the examinator will think that I'm lying.
RCMP North West region

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:31 pm

They go over the poly booklet with you, but in a bit more detail - i.e. they probe for further clarification on certain questions. There's definitely stuff that I hadn't thought about when I filled out the book - but that was mentioned during the actual interview. But it was embarrassing just talking about all the stuff I HAD written down - behaviour from my errant youth that I thought was well-buried in the past... nothing criminal, just... embarrassing! :oops:

HDinMB
Rookie Member

Postby HDinMB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am

Applicants should be glad there is this resource but should be cognizant of rules. Far too many applicants, although they have the correct answer, respond to questions posted in the 'Ask a Recruiter/Member' thread. Every few weeks a new "I've done X" thread or question, nobody seems to have read the part of this section that says not to do that because everything is case by case. Then there are the ones that spout off advice with no basis in reality, are arrogant, rude, or just plain too lazy to do a search. Take the time to read all the pages of the Q/A thread, it's worth it. I wonder how long this will go on, as I see quite a few regular members that used to post here have stopped.

rcmp43
Rookie Member

Postby rcmp43 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:22 am

Just my opinion....

Sometimes you need to know whats under the "cover" before you criticize and ridicule serving members in this forum. You'll find after reading some posts that they do have the experience and knowledge as to what goes on and what is the norm ...especially regarding recruitment and training.

This is a PUBLIC forum and as such you are open to all sorts of comments, good or bad, helpful or not. I'd hope that people take the advice of currently serving members and other applicants who have been through the recruiting process and take from it what you will. If you need to feel the urge to be "personal" then do so in a pm. As mentioned in a few posts, you can always ask the recruiter by dialing the 1-800 number...if you wanna be a cop perhaps this is the forum to start acting like one!

Argyll has an extensive public service background, far more than the ordinary person off the street. I'd listen and take what I could get from his experience...he's doesn't have anything to prove to anyone here. If thats not up to your liking then I'd suggest you move your curser to another forum. 8)
J Division
Exam: Dec 06
PARE: Feb 07
Interview: Jun 07
Poly: Sept 07
Med/Dental/Psych: Nov 07
BGI : May 08
Deferred for a year
Sept 09: Appealed file closure
Jan '10: Schedualed for Poly Sept 10.
July 10: Poly cancelled...not competitive

wannabeRCMP
Rookie Member

Postby wannabeRCMP » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:17 am

sportyspice wrote:My polygraph interviewer told me that everything was 100% confidential. I spent 3 hours with my face burning red from revealing all my deep dark secrets to a total stranger ("oh my god you need to know about THAT?!), but I never felt any concern that what I said would somehow make it back to anyone I knew.

My BGI officer contacted 2 seperate people I knew about answers on my poly
It's not how hard you hit, it's how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done.

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:20 am

Well, there you go - back to the "everyone's experience is a little different" thing!

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:58 pm

sportyspice wrote: My field investigator ONLY does the reference interviews and neighborhood check. (Hence the reason he's the "field" investigator - he only does the field work.) That's the way he explained it to me, anyway.

One of the field investigators here is practically my neighbor.

As for being embarrassed talking about things you've done in the past, just tell yourself, "I'll probably never even see this person again in my life." Plus it's also my understanding that everything is confidential. It's not like they leave a pile of polygraph booklets on the coffee room table for members' reading enjoyment.
Sed libera nos a malo.

PHB
King Poobah

Postby PHB » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:26 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:
sportyspice wrote: My field investigator ONLY does the reference interviews and neighborhood check. (Hence the reason he's the "field" investigator - he only does the field work.) That's the way he explained it to me, anyway.

One of the field investigators here is practically my neighbor.

As for being embarrassed talking about things you've done in the past, just tell yourself, "I'll probably never even see this person again in my life." Plus it's also my understanding that everything is confidential. It's not like they leave a pile of polygraph booklets on the coffee room table for members' reading enjoyment.

I don't think it phases the examiners they hear that kind of stuff all the time. Plus it says allot about your character if you can talk about all the bad things that you have done in your life.
RCMP Members Email this guy and leave the Legal Fund:

agclarke@istar.ca

For Our Future! http://www.mppac.ca PROUD UPSTART

sportyspice
Rookie Member

Postby sportyspice » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:29 pm

The Yuke wrote:I recently completed and passed the RCMP poly. I too had done research into the machine itself and came across methods to beating it ( you will if googling polygraphs). I spent about 5 1/2 hours with the poly interviewing and conducting the test and I did fine, I let him know in our pre poly interview that I had done some research into the machine and what I came across. He seemed ok with that. Like everyone will say, get a good night sleep, dont change your routine and be honest. I really didnt find it that bad. I brought in my coffee, water and relaxed the whole time. NOW if you are trying to hide something, I cant help you out....GL..

Just going back and reading some of the older posts and I thought this was really funny.

I brought a PB&J sandwich with me (fast metabolism - gotta eat every 3 hours). At one point the interviewer left the room "to check on something" - told me he'd be about 10 minutes - I suspect he was watching me from the other room to see if I'd peek at the notes he had been making. I pulled out a book and started reading while eating my sandwich. :D