Traffic Tickets

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).

How many traffic tickets have you received?

Zero
26%
28%
16%
9%
4%
5-6
10%
7-10
3%
>10
4%

Total votes: 135

Stinger
Poobah Overlord

Postby Stinger » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 am

Chris B wrote:
Bookm wrote:EDIT: P.S. Of the many I have quizzed, I have yet to have ANYONE reply with the correct stopping position. Almost EVERYONE thinks you stop "immediately at the sign" (incorrect).

I'm not sure that's completely incorrect. Doesn't the stop sign delimit the entrance to the intersection? Meaning if there's no line and no crosswalk, you should stop at the stop sign.

You stop before the stop sign.

Chris B
Rookie Member

Postby Chris B » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:31 am

Sorry, my French does that to me.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.

Bookm
Rookie Member

Postby Bookm » Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Stinger wrote:You stop before the stop sign.

No. The stop sign is just an indication that you must stop. The regulation quoted by OPP2 states the required place TO stop (in Ontario). It makes sense because topography may dictate that the sign can't be placed in the ideal stopping location. The sign location must conform to dimensions and tolerances outlined in (R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 615) Highway Traffic Act though
Forget the House!... Let's see the Shop!!

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:47 pm

Bookm wrote:
Stinger wrote:You stop before the stop sign.

No. The stop sign is just an indication that you must stop. The regulation quoted by OPP2 states the required place TO stop (in Ontario). It makes sense because topography may dictate that the sign can't be placed in the ideal stopping location. The sign location must conform to dimensions and tolerances outlined in (R.R.O. 1990, Regulation 615) Highway Traffic Act though

It has always been my understanding that when you come to a stop sign, your front bumper should be stopped slightly before the stop sign and that a complete stop means you stop for three real seconds before proceeding if there's no traffic.

It makes sense to me and I've never had any issues with it.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Bookm
Rookie Member

Postby Bookm » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:22 pm

:banghead:

exkalibur
Rookie Member

Postby exkalibur » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:22 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:It has always been my understanding that when you come to a stop sign, your front bumper should be stopped slightly before the stop sign and that a complete stop means you stop for three real seconds before proceeding if there's no traffic.

When I took Young Drivers many moons ago, they told is that a "proper" stop is one where the car rocks back slightly when the brakes kick in fully. They also taught us that you should stop 1 car length behind the white line (or sign, depending) and inch forward until you're sure it's safe to proceed on your favourable.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:48 pm

exkalibur wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:It has always been my understanding that when you come to a stop sign, your front bumper should be stopped slightly before the stop sign and that a complete stop means you stop for three real seconds before proceeding if there's no traffic.

When I took Young Drivers many moons ago, they told is that a "proper" stop is one where the car rocks back slightly when the brakes kick in fully. They also taught us that you should stop 1 car length behind the white line (or sign, depending) and inch forward until you're sure it's safe to proceed on your favourable.

That's interesting because my dad taught me that an extremely good driver is a driver who can make the ride so smooth that you don't feel that rocking back. My dad used to be a druck driver well before I was born. He can drive a vehicle so smoothly that you don't feel that rocking back.
Sed libera nos a malo.

TheWidowsSon
Seasoned Member

Postby TheWidowsSon » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:00 pm

SD_SC1 wrote:My dad used to be a druck driver

I'm sure your typo was the "d" as in truck and not the "c" as in drunk. :D

Edited to correct my own typo. :oops:
Last edited by TheWidowsSon on Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud to be a jail guard. Don't like it? Get over yourself .

katerina68

Postby katerina68 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:13 pm

TheWidowsSon wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote:My dad used to be a druck driver

I'm sure you're typo was the "d" as in truck and not the "c" as in drunk. :D

:jump:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:27 am

What I really hate is when I roll up to an intersection, there is another vehicle there before me and it's stopped... I arrive at the intersection and make my stop, and the other vehicle just sits there... Many times I have just proceeded through before the other vehicle...

Does this make me a bad person? :ponder:

And NO, I don't have any lights flashing at the time! :roll:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

NinjaNikki
Seasoned Member

Postby NinjaNikki » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:03 am

I wish more people would realize that they have to stop. I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding and I don't know how many times I hear the "sreech" as the car behind me had no intentions of stopping.

Bookm
Rookie Member

Postby Bookm » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:25 am

NinjaNikki wrote: I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding...

This is a prime example of where the Act lacks enough detail. 3 seconds is just a Driver Ed number. It has no basis in law. Perhaps some folks prefer to wait 5 seconds... or 20! The act doesn't necessarily prohibit this. It says the driver "may" proceed, not "must" proceed. If 20 seconds is considered illegal, then 3 seconds should be, too. Sitting there counting "mississipi's" is just going to aggrevate the line of cars behind you, and serves no real purpose.

Wow, I had no intention of thoroughly highjacking this thread. I'll lay low for a while ;)

Book

Starsky

Postby Starsky » Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:27 am

Once your wheels have stopped turning, then you can move your vehicle again. To know that the wheels have stopped, the rule of thumb for the driver was always three seconds.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:39 pm

NinjaNikki wrote:I wish more people would realize that they have to stop. I always count out my 3 seconds before proceeding and I don't know how many times I hear the "sreech" as the car behind me had no intentions of stopping.

I was heading home and stopped for the RED light at Jetliner & Silver Dart, buddy behind me taps the back of my car with his... I had my old Crown Victoria at the time, so he only hit the trailer hitch... He gets out to apologize, I asked him if he noticed the RED light (no, not the ones in my back window) :smirk: ... And he tells me that no one ever comes to a complete stop at that intersection... Crazy Airport workers, sniffing too much jet fuel fumes. :roll:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)