Traffic Tickets

Police traffic discussion, ideas, and personal stories (humourous or informative).

How many traffic tickets have you received?

Zero
26%
28%
16%
9%
4%
5-6
10%
7-10
3%
>10
4%

Total votes: 135

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:21 pm

exkalibur wrote:
Respond Wayne wrote:Looks like we are off to a good start on here. :roll:

LoL! Those aren't my words. The MTO person I spoke to told me (pretty much word for word) "had the officer bothered to push a few extra keys he'd have seen your license is valid" and an officer friend of mine said pretty much everyone calls the 407 officers "meter-maids".

But yea :)

I feel so insignificant now :cry: because I'm not like everyone else......
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:24 pm

... and as soon as I hit the submit button I thought, boy have I opened myself up wide open on this one

:shock:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:08 am

You have to hate those posted signs (no left turn, bus lanes, HOV, MAXIMUM speed limit, no parking, etc..) that you don't see :roll:
Then arbitrarily make up an excuse why YOU can disobey that sign, especially the fire route signs (apparently just throw on the 4-ways and this makes you excempt as well)

If those signs were to say "FREE GAS" :shock: you would certainly obey that one.

Just like you were teaching your children, be honest and own up to your mistakes! and if they are with you, set the example!
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Bookm
Rookie Member

Postby Bookm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:08 pm

exkalibur wrote:Hmm. I'm going out on a limb here and guessing you're either 1) not very old or 2) have a hardon against the HTA.

1) Do the math... I said I was a teenager in the early 80's.

2) The HTA lacks the detail necessary to govern (absolutely) all motoring happenstances. This is why the courts depend heavily on Case Law for it's rulings.
Example:
The HTA says "you must stop at a stop-bar painted on the road", but if it's covered in snow, or that position fails to offer a line of site to intersecting traffic, you don't have to stop on it. According to registered Case Law, you can stop where a clear view is afforded (R. vs. Bannister I believe), but the HTA makes no reference to this detail. So of course I have "issues" with the HTA. It is used primarily by law enforcement and prosecutors for catagorizing (alleged) offences. It's clean, neat and efficient in that regard.

exkalibur wrote:You having zero accidents and a "truck load" of tickets just means you've been lucky.

I agree I've been lucky to drive nearly 3 decades without (at-fault) incident, but don't kid yourself it has anything to do with the number of cites. I make my own "good luck" by employing driving habits that have proven themselves over and over again. I've been hit 7 times (always while stopped) by folks who don't employ my own personal rules. Feel free to join the crowd who call me a bad driver due to tickets. I find it amusing.

Not arguin'... just sayin' ;)
Book
Forget the House!... Let's see the Shop!!

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:27 pm

jaymalo_eh wrote:
Steve French wrote:careful what you wish for, she'll register under a second name ask herself questions and answer them as her origianl personality a la o.com.

and a la 10-62.com

I was under the impression that she already has a second user ID (although it has been inactive for some time) on Blueline.

My reasoning: when she posted the clip of her as the human can opener, the user ID on Youtube was "Jewel Blue Ibanez". There was someone posting here as JBIbanez last year. I may be mistaken, but it's too much of a coincidence for me.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:44 pm

Chewie wrote:My reasoning: when she posted the clip of her as the human can opener, the user ID on Youtube was "Jewel Blue Ibanez". There was someone posting here as JBIbanez last year. I may be mistaken, but it's too much of a coincidence for me.

And the plot thickens, note JBIbanez has a highland dancer as an avatar and here SD_SC1 likes to work out to highland dance music, coincidence? I think not, the Caramilk secret is your next task, good work chewie :twisted:

http://forum.blueline.ca/viewtopic.php?t=10942&highlight=highland

HwyBear

Postby HwyBear » Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:58 pm

Bookm wrote:[Example:
The HTA says "you must stop at a stop-bar painted on the road",Book

There is no such direct quote in the HTA. Not even looking that one up, I have yet to see the word "you" anywhere in the HTA for Ontario

From which province are you using an HTA?
Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. Your normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop-heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow"

Bookm
Rookie Member

Postby Bookm » Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:14 pm

HwyBear wrote:
Bookm wrote:[Example:
The HTA says "you must stop at a stop-bar painted on the road",Book

There is no such direct quote in the HTA. Not even looking that one up, I have yet to see the word "you" anywhere in the HTA for Ontario

From which province are you using an HTA?

I KNEW I shouldn't have put that in quotes, lol. Was just generalizing really.
Ontario Code
Stop at through highway

136. (1) Every driver or street car operator approaching a stop sign at an intersection,

(a) shall stop his or her vehicle or street car at a marked stop line or, if none, then immediately before entering the nearest crosswalk or, if none, then immediately before entering the intersection,...

EDIT: P.S. Of the many I have quizzed, I have yet to have ANYONE reply with the correct stopping position. Almost EVERYONE thinks you stop "immediately at the sign" (incorrect).
Forget the House!... Let's see the Shop!!

exkalibur
Rookie Member

Postby exkalibur » Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:12 pm

Bookm wrote:2) The HTA lacks the detail necessary to govern (absolutely) all motoring happenstances. This is why the courts depend heavily on Case Law for it's rulings.

Example:
The HTA says "you must stop at a stop-bar painted on the road", but if it's covered in snow, or that position fails to offer a line of site to intersecting traffic, you don't have to stop on it. According to registered Case Law, you can stop where a clear view is afforded (R. vs. Bannister I believe), but the HTA makes no reference to this detail.

You're entirely correct. The law says you must stop at the white line. That means if you don't, you're liable to get a ticket for it. So you say that your view might not be clear so you can't? Well, you can either do what you're supposed to, which is - stop completly at the line then inch forward until you're sure you are clear to proceed, or you can take the ticket to court and hope to god the JP agrees with you.

Point being - Just because you don't personally agree with something in the HTA does not give you the right to disobey it. And yes, I agree, just because someone has a crapload of tickets doesn't make them a bad driver, it just makes them a driver who can't follow the rules and is no doubt paying $$$$$ for their insurance premiums.

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:34 pm

Chewie wrote:
jaymalo_eh wrote:
Steve French wrote:careful what you wish for, she'll register under a second name ask herself questions and answer them as her origianl personality a la o.com.

and a la 10-62.com

I was under the impression that she already has a second user ID (although it has been inactive for some time) on Blueline.

My reasoning: when she posted the clip of her as the human can opener, the user ID on Youtube was "Jewel Blue Ibanez". There was someone posting here as JBIbanez last year. I may be mistaken, but it's too much of a coincidence for me.

Yeah, I was doing an informal study to see if people respected me more if I was myself, but they just didn't know it. Sort of a MunLaw thing. My study proved to be correct. You guys were a lot nicer to me when you didn't know it was me.

May I ask something without getting flamed? It has to do with driver safety presentations, their effectiveness, how to make them more effective, etc.
Sed libera nos a malo.

Starsky

Postby Starsky » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:05 pm

No.

AnotherBeginning
Seasoned Member

Postby AnotherBeginning » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:08 pm

SD_SC1 wrote: You guys were a lot nicer to me when you didn't know it was me

So, are you saying that people like you more when you are not being yourself :?: :alright:

SD_SC1
Rookie Member

Postby SD_SC1 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:57 pm

AnotherBeginning wrote:
SD_SC1 wrote: You guys were a lot nicer to me when you didn't know it was me

So, are you saying that people like you more when you are not being yourself :?: :alright:

No, people like me more when I'm being myself, but they don't know it's me.
Sed libera nos a malo.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:12 pm

Anywho, enough about SD_SC1...

CO

Chris B
Rookie Member

Postby Chris B » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:28 am

Bookm wrote:EDIT: P.S. Of the many I have quizzed, I have yet to have ANYONE reply with the correct stopping position. Almost EVERYONE thinks you stop "immediately at the sign" (incorrect).

I'm not sure that's completely incorrect. Doesn't the stop sign delimit the entrance to the intersection? Meaning if there's no line and no crosswalk, you should stop at the stop sign.
Chris B
---
One should change their signature once in a while.