What a burn!! Chalk one up for the Good Guys

General Law Enforcement discussion which does not fit into other channels. Post your thoughts and feelings about anything you want (LE related), or just vent those fumes about whatever is on your chest.

Moderators: CourtOfficer, Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 12:11 pm

Bylaw:

Why should steroids be MORE regulated than they are now? They've never (in and of themselves) killed a human being. I would challenge you to find an example of the death of an athlete that a doctor has said publicly was caused exclusively by the responsible use of steroids. (I say responsible, because the IRRESPONSIBLE use of Flinstone vitamins could kill you.

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby dmiles » Wed Sep 10, 2003 1:12 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Bylaw:

Why should steroids be MORE regulated than they are now? They've never (in and of themselves) killed a human being. I would challenge you to find an example of the death of an athlete that a doctor has said publicly was caused exclusively by the responsible use of steroids. (I say responsible, because the IRRESPONSIBLE use of Flinstone vitamins could kill you.

CO

I assume you are not a football fan...go look up Lyle Alzado....thanks
dmiles
King Poobah

Postby opp2 » Wed Sep 10, 2003 4:03 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Bylaw:

CO

Having been on the receiving end of the bad temper of a couple of locals who are on the juice, I have to tell you the juice itself may not appear to be the killer, but it sure screws up the heads of some of the users. We are still dealing with the two yokels who seem to get into more shit the bigger they get. I'm certain things are going to get worse before they get better in this particular situation. They both admit they are on the juice.
opp2

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 5:57 pm

Dmiles:

You're incorrect about Lyle Alzado, although I will accept any other examples if you have them. Alzado's personal physician said that his death was completely unrelated to steroid use. (This did get some media attention at the time when his doctor disagreed with Alzado's conclusion.) Alzado chose to blame steroids for his "brain tumour" which is ludicrous. Perhaps even to hide the fact that he had AIDS. Here's an excerpt from an article that touches on it:

I started this article with a reference to Lyle Alzado. Alzado was an NFL football player who passed away a few years ago from a debilitating disease, possibly AIDS. At one point he said, in public, that his ultimately fatal condition was caused by his "steroid abuse." The North American media latched onto this and integrated it into their smear campaign against these drugs, something that had been going on for several years previously. Androgens were placed on a restricted access schedule in the US in the mid-80's, mostly because of anti-drug hysteria. (As a side note, Alzado's personal physician has stated publicly that Alzado's death was completely unrelated to his AAS use.) The most visible subculture that uses these drugs regularly is the bodybuilding world. In fact, a lot of the misinformation about AAS comes from within bodybuilding. In other cases it originates from outsiders who do not understand what is going on. One frequent argument that you hear is that AAS supplementation is dangerous because... well, think about how unhealthy competitive bodybuilders look. And heck yes, they're unhealthy. They starve themselves, tan incessantly, supplement sloppily with human Growth Hormone, play with insulin and thyroid medications, take crazy diet supplements like DNP (originally used as a bug poison) and take dangerous diuretics before competition. Of everything that bodybuilders take, AAS are without a doubt some of the safer drugs.

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby dmiles » Wed Sep 10, 2003 6:06 pm

good job at doing your homework CO. in all reality theres a reason why professional sports BAN the use of steroids. They have publicly stated they do it also to prevent future health problems to their players. I dont use steroids and i assume you dont either but i know people that do and i have seen their facial structure and behavior change and to be honest its GROSS...how can you say its not bad for you....but then again to each their own...im not goin to judge them...they choose to live their life a certain way
dmiles
King Poobah

Postby CourtOfficer » Wed Sep 10, 2003 9:29 pm

I've been in the professional wrestling business for over six years and I've worked with a lot of walking pharmacies, believe me! Despite the hype of the media, it is normally accepted that responsible use of anabolic steroids in lower doses, injectable not oral, supplementing with estrogen blockers and cycling off frequently should leave one with no negative side effects. This is why steroids serve so many roles in medicine. Of course, as is usually the case with athletes, the mentality is that more is better. If 20mgs of Dianabol helped me gain 15 pounds in a month, then 50mgs should make me a monster! (A bloated, watery monster, mind you...) The other problem is: Good luck getting guys to go off it! Live life in the body of a monster bodybuilder for a year, then watch your body slowly catabolize when you go off the juice. As soon as the shoulders look a little flat in the bathroom mirror, buddy's jamming pins in his ass again. Steroids aren't physiologically addictive but they are definitely psychologically addictive.

Ah well... Who cares, really? :)

CO
CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby gibamet » Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:48 pm

The Ministers of the various Federal Departments are just tempoary figure heads of their respective departments/agencies. I've had The <eck> Honourable M. Couchon as my Minister twice. The thing is...he isn't the one making the decisions. If the <eck> Honourable E Caplin leaves the CCRA portfolio tommorow...there would be no major changes. The Comissioner is the one holding all the cards, making all the decisions, and advising the Minister.

I love yet hate politics. :x
gibamet
Grand Poobah

Postby Rubberducky » Thu Sep 11, 2003 9:41 am

Mark Swaffer wrote:But hey, I'm not hurting anyone by smoking weed, right? I mean, c'mon man, its just a little pot, no biggie.

:cuss:
Sound familiar? Some people just don't get that there is a problem, and they're part of it.

Rationalization. Denial.

People can rationalize just about anything to serve their own purpose.

Someone needs to do a movie from the perspective of a pot plant, and how the crop goes from seed to market. People would be appalled and disturbed. And they think the the possibility of eating "deadstock" gave them a shock...
Rubberducky
Veteran Member

Postby dmiles » Fri Sep 12, 2003 8:09 am

rationalization and denial will never go away....obviously that applies to everyday life and not just crime....
dmiles
King Poobah

Postby Gipper » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:24 pm

dmiles wrote:rationalization and denial will never go away....obviously that applies to everyday life and not just crime....

Yep, look at our cheap third-world child-labour produced clothing. Most of us ignore that or rationalize it away, too.
Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.
Gipper
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby dmiles » Fri Sep 12, 2003 1:49 pm

Gipper,

SO TRUE in what you say. I guess some people just feel good about themselves when compared to criminals. They dont see the whole picture in their life. Cheers.

D.
dmiles
King Poobah

Previous

Return to The Rant