Who's at fault in this accident? (video included)

Discussion, ideas, questions and thoughts on case law.
encode9
Rookie Member

Who's at fault in this accident? (video included)

Postby encode9 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:26 am

My friend sent this to me, he found it on some traffic laws forum: http://youtu.be/edSHukZDHqw

I'm not a police officer but I'd say 75% dashcam driver and 25% driver coming from the left.

What say you?

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: Who's at fault in this accident? (video included)

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sat Mar 07, 2015 2:56 am

The HTA is not my area of expertise but I'm wondering why a guy would post a youtube video of an accident when he was clearly his fault.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:49 am

encode9 wrote:My friend sent this to me, he found it on some traffic laws forum: http://youtu.be/edSHukZDHqw

I'm not a police officer but I'd say 75% dashcam driver and 25% driver coming from the left.

What say you?

Yikes, these are the drivers I share Toronto roads with. Respect to TPS and OPP officers that do traffic duty!
I was going to post my interpretation, but would rather the "dashcam owner" show it in court for a judge to see.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:00 pm

I seem to remember from my driving lessons many many moons ago when I first got my licence, then upgrading my class of licence from "G" to "D" when joining the Volunteer Fire Department, you need to make sure the intersection is clear before proceeding through. From what I can see, the SUV had a vehicle in front waiting to make a left, a couple vehicles approaching from the opposite direction were waiting to turn left, by the time the left turners got out of the way the light was green, but the SUV was already well into the intersection, so Mr. Bad Music should have waited for the intersection to clear before proceeding (as noted below).

144 (8) - When under this section a driver is permitted to proceed, he or she shall yield the right of way to traffic lawfully using an intersection or, where traffic control signals are erected where a private road or driveway meets a highway, lawfully using the area controlled by the traffic control signals.
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Ziggy Stardust
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Ziggy Stardust » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:48 pm

That's how I see it as well, Wayne.
"The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching." - John Wooden

BROVO26

Postby BROVO26 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:04 pm

X2 :thumbsup:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sat Mar 07, 2015 6:44 pm

It's amazing to hear that most people think having a green light gives them 100% no fault. :roll:
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

encode9
Rookie Member

Postby encode9 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:21 pm

I agree with all the above (just like I mentioned in the OP), but just to play devil's advocate for a moment: does the car coming in from the left take any blame for proceeding as well? Kind of strange to go straight when there's still cars turning infront of you to your right.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:11 pm

encode9 wrote:I agree with all the above (just like I mentioned in the OP), but just to play devil's advocate for a moment: does the car coming in from the left take any blame for proceeding as well? Kind of strange to go straight when there's still cars turning infront of you to your right.

What is strange is a driver go forward when the intersection isn't clear. Don't people scan left/right going through even on green? And.. Because of the red truck, he couldn't be sure it is clear.

Serves him right.
ex :mrgreen: EDiv RCMP A/Constable
Traffic.. still Rocks.

... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Nesdolian

Postby Nesdolian » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:45 pm

Last edited by Nesdolian on Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snowman
Rookie Member

Postby Snowman » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:27 pm

Tango5 wrote:It's amazing to hear that most people think having a green light gives them 100% no fault. :roll:

Agreed, and with bike season almost here, those of us riding have to anticipate and look more than twice to make sure the intersection is clear. Mr. Thumpus Uninterruptus was not paying attention to the vehicles & movement before and in the intersection when his light was red, and when it transitioned to green. At the end of the day, totally avoidable collision if the dash cam driver had been paying more attention, and in a little less of a rush. Any more, you can expect that there will be one, if not two vehicles running through the amber/red lights, well past the 1.5-2 seconds that it takes the green light to come on. Not saying that is right, but if you know what to expect from other driver's you can at least stand a chance of avoiding trading paint, or worse on a bike.
Beer Me !

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:20 pm

And >>> HERE <<< we have another complete Tool Shed!

Second accident you say? Well when you ride like that it's no wonder! :crazy:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

mack_silent
Rookie Member

Postby mack_silent » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:36 am

Wow, the motorcycle driver should have his license suspended for life.
KCCO. Wake up. Kick butt. Repeat.

yreffejnoraa
Rookie Member

Postby yreffejnoraa » Sun Apr 05, 2015 10:08 pm

Highway Traffic Act
Blocking intersection

145. (1) The council of a municipality may by by-law prohibit a driver or street car operator approaching, at an intersection, a traffic control signal showing a circular green or green arrow indication from entering the intersection unless traffic in front of him or her is moving in a manner that would reasonably lead him or her to believe he or she can clear the intersection before the signal indication changes to a circular red indication. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (1).

Idem

(2) A by-law passed under subsection (1) does not apply to a driver or street car operator who enters an intersection for the purpose of turning to the right or left into an intersecting highway and signals his or her intention to make the turn prior to entering the intersection. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (2).

Idem

(3) A by-law passed under subsection (1) shall apply to all signalized intersections of highways under the jurisdiction of the municipality. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 145 (3).

Would be interesting to know if the municipality in this video (Toronto?) has such a by-law, or what jurisdictions do have this by-law enacted.

It's a tough call in this case, but it looks like the vehicle already in the intersection should not have been in the intersection unless the driver reasonably believed they could make it through. With the pickup truck in the intersection, apparently blocking it's path, he should not have entered the intersection to begin with.

Though the dash-cam driver was an idiot for not seeing it coming..
POLICE OFFICER

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Apr 05, 2015 11:32 pm

It is Toronto, specifically Dufferin St northbound at King St West. (The video from the OP)