Harassing phone calls

Discussion, ideas, questions and thoughts on case law.
Danish
Rookie Member

Harassing phone calls

Postby Danish » Fri May 04, 2012 3:46 am

Have any of you officers been dealing with possible prank calls using spoofed numbers to try and gain sensitive info from people?

Example. I just received a couple phone calls from a guy -the number showed up on my call ID as a local number, except for a "011" in front of it (international dialing code). It woke me up from my beauty sleep, and trust me when I say I really need it! The guy was very mad claiming I just smashed up his car and left my phone number on his windshield. He was immediately demanding my insurance info and was getting very mad that I was diplomatically telling him to shove it. (Not only am I not stupid enough to leave the scene of an accident if I was in one, but I am also not stupid enough to give all my info to a stranger when I did no wrong!!) I hung up on him and he called back a couple minutes later even more mad and continuing to push to gain my insurance info. When I continued to hold my ground he quickly hung up.

I haven't experienced anything like this before. I was trying to pinpoint the guys accent but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Definately wasn't french or any other european accent. Wasn't an asian accent either. It almost sounded either carribean or african but didn't have enough time to really absorb it (besides, I had only been awake for 30 seconds at this point!!!)

Is this a new style of scam going on? I started a complaint file with my local PD and am going down to the station tomorrow to write my report. Anyways, I am off to bed! I would really appreciate hearing from any officers who have encountered any fraudulent calls such as this one may end up being. Cheers.

Mongo
Veteran Member

Re: Harassing phone calls

Postby Mongo » Fri May 04, 2012 8:50 am

Sounds like he was pretty upset. I woulda just given him the insurance info.
Did YOU build the Estadio Olimpico?

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Fri May 04, 2012 12:09 pm

Maybe somebody left your number on the windshield of a car they scraped... thats dirty pool.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

Danish
Rookie Member

Postby Danish » Fri May 04, 2012 8:03 pm

I went down to the PD and talked to an officer and wrote my statement. He checked out my car for damage (not even a door ding on it). The strange thing is when you call the phone number it leads to a fax machine. I wonder if the new scam is to hack into people's unsecured fax machines and use them to make the calls?

I haven't received another phone call yet. I imagine if it was a legit accident I should've been contacted again, either by the owner of the supposedly damaged car or by an officer on his behalf. I'll let this one go but it sure was a strange thing, especially since the call was on my cell phone and not even on my land line. 88) The guy was pushy enough that I could see some people out there giving their information away out of fear. Even if it works 1 time out of 1000 it must be worth it to some of the losers out there to try.

Mongo, thanks for the morning chuckle! :thumbsup:

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Fri May 04, 2012 9:18 pm

shootemup wrote:Maybe somebody left your number on the windshield of a car they scraped... thats dirty pool.

I actually had to deal with something similar once.

There was a time when I drove my wife's car for a week as mine was in the shop for the week.
I worked in North Van that time. One day we received a letter from ICBC that a claim was opened against my wife's policy.
Supposedly, our car was involved in a hit on Park Royal mall parking lot.
The statement read that a man's car was hit.
The statement also mentioned that the owner of the damaged vehicle spoke to a women driver who was rude to him and took off with out of leaving any info.

My wife looked at me as.... What woman was driving my car.
I had a stupid look on my face.... No woman hon.

If it wasn't for the fact that the driver was a woman and also a prove we had that my wife was somewhere else at the time who knows how this would had ended.

I guess mistakes happen but same car make, same odd (kinda red/orange) after market color??, same or very similar license plate?
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

tps00176
Rookie Member

Postby tps00176 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:22 am

Danish wrote:Have any of you officers been dealing with possible prank calls using spoofed numbers to try and gain sensitive info from people?

Example. I just received a couple phone calls from a guy -the number showed up on my call ID as a local number, except for a "011" in front of it (international dialing code). It woke me up from my beauty sleep, and trust me when I say I really need it! The guy was very mad claiming I just smashed up his car and left my phone number on his windshield. He was immediately demanding my insurance info and was getting very mad that I was diplomatically telling him to shove it. (Not only am I not stupid enough to leave the scene of an accident if I was in one, but I am also not stupid enough to give all my info to a stranger when I did no wrong!!) I hung up on him and he called back a couple minutes later even more mad and continuing to push to gain my insurance info. When I continued to hold my ground he quickly hung up.

I haven't experienced anything like this before. I was trying to pinpoint the guys accent but I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Definately wasn't french or any other european accent. Wasn't an asian accent either. It almost sounded either carribean or african but didn't have enough time to really absorb it (besides, I had only been awake for 30 seconds at this point!!!)

Is this a new style of scam going on? I started a complaint file with my local PD and am going down to the station tomorrow to write my report. Anyways, I am off to bed! I would really appreciate hearing from any officers who have encountered any fraudulent calls such as this one may end up being. Cheers.

I have investigated a fraud of freight that has originated from Ghana. Again the calling code was 011. I made several attempts to contact the suspects, however because our telephone number shows up private caller from the police station i had to call from an "open line" and the operator had to patch me through. The operator advised me that the number they provide have false numbers in it. (not sure how they know that but when they patched me through I was able to contact my suspect) I tried to obtain some information from the suspect regarding his story but once he found out I was the police he quickly hung up. I tried several more times to contact him but the number was disconnected.

Other frauds that I have been a part of we believe that alot of people are using VOI (voice over internet ie : voip, magicjack) calling these number back often give you that fax machine tone when it connects.

Hope this make sense and help you peice this together a bit easier.