Surety - Breach of Recog

Discussion, ideas, questions and thoughts on case law.
Jmclea01
Rookie Member

Surety - Breach of Recog

Postby Jmclea01 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:40 am

Does anyone know of the case law surrounding a surety being charged with Breach of Recog?
I was speaking with a ranking officer in the courts, who advised me that a surety can be charged with breach of recognizance if the individual on a recog. breaches and it is known and not addressed by the surety (i.e. permitting the accused to breach his curfew... or allowing the accused to carry weapons -- and for the sake of argument -- providing the accused a knife to carry which goes against the prohibition).

I know my question is probably clear as mud... We have a party who consistently breaches his release conditions, where as his surety has been permitted to be a surety on the previous 5 or 6 breaches over the past 6 months, so I'm just exploring the possible alternatives.
Medical - July 13, 2015
Job Offer - July 16, 2015
OPC - Sept 9, 2015

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Surety - Breach of Recog

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:05 am

Please take this to the private forums. No one in here can provide legal advice.

Pete Broccolo

Re: Surety - Breach of Recog

Postby Pete Broccolo » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:43 pm

Jmclea01 wrote:Does anyone know of the case law surrounding a surety being charged with Breach of Recog?
I was speaking with a ranking officer in the courts, who advised me that a surety can be charged with breach of recognizance if the individual on a recog. breaches and it is known and not addressed by the surety (i.e. permitting the accused to breach his curfew... or allowing the accused to carry weapons -- and for the sake of argument -- providing the accused a knife to carry which goes against the prohibition).

I know my question is probably clear as mud... We have a party who consistently breaches his release conditions, where as his surety has been permitted to be a surety on the previous 5 or 6 breaches over the past 6 months, so I'm just exploring the possible alternatives.

Are you a Probation Officer? Do up a repirt and send it to the Police Service whete this is iccurring.
If you are not, contact your local Police, make a repprt.
Either way, leave thus to the Police to deal with.
This sounds like somwone wanting help with their studies.
#32936 - Cst - RCMP - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
"F" Div - 1976-05-04 / end (GD & HP / RTS)
Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 / date
RCMP Vets Assoc - Regina Div member
Husband, Dad, Father-In-Law, & Grampa(x6)