New Smith & Wesson M & P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Trap30
Veteran Member

Re: New Smith & Wesson M & P

Postby Trap30 » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Striker,
10-4 That is the way I apply it. It's like anything else, practice, practice, practice, Unfortunatley I can only get to teh range every couple of months or so.

Trap30

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:33 pm

I have heard Brinks has started to switch to the M&P 40. And I have seen an independent company here in Halifax that has already switched. But, what capacity are their mags? 10 shots or do they have an exemption like LEO?
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 pm

VoteQuimby wrote:I have heard Brinks has started to switch to the M&P 40. And I have seen an independent company here in Halifax that has already switched. But, what capacity are their mags? 10 shots or do they have an exemption like LEO?

Considering armed guards are not peace officers, they can not be exempt from provisions under the firearms act and therefore would be limited to the 10 rounders...which is still very good.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:39 pm

Around here, Brinks used to be sworn in in Windsor as Special Constables. I don't think they do that any more though.

CO

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:46 pm

CourtOfficer wrote:Around here, Brinks used to be sworn in in Windsor as Special Constables. I don't think they do that any more though.

CO

I started for Loomis back in 1995. A lot of employees I worked with had come from Brinks. Some of the guys who actually worked for Brinks back in the early 70's never mentioned anything about being Special Constables. I guess they did this many moons ago as a away of getting around the laws for carrying firearms out in public?

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 6:39 pm

Bald Man wrote:
VoteQuimby wrote:I have heard Brinks has started to switch to the M&P 40. And I have seen an independent company here in Halifax that has already switched. But, what capacity are their mags? 10 shots or do they have an exemption like LEO?

Considering armed guards are not peace officers, they can not be exempt from provisions under the firearms act and therefore would be limited to the 10 rounders...which is still very good.

But they are allowed to carry a sidearm, which the general public cannot do. So they must be exempt somehow :ponder: That is why I am wondering if they get more than a 10 shot mag. I don't feel like reading the FA :twitch:
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.

CourtOfficer
Site Admin

Postby CourtOfficer » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:14 pm

Bald Man wrote:
CourtOfficer wrote:Around here, Brinks used to be sworn in in Windsor as Special Constables. I don't think they do that any more though.

CO

I started for Loomis back in 1995. A lot of employees I worked with had come from Brinks. Some of the guys who actually worked for Brinks back in the early 70's never mentioned anything about being Special Constables. I guess they did this many moons ago as a away of getting around the laws for carrying firearms out in public?

Yep. It was a technical thing (as were many "Special Constable" designations back in the day) they did with the Windsor Police Service. I suspect it was probably a matter of "sign here" and just another job related piece of paper.

CO

Chewie
Veteran Member

Postby Chewie » Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:23 pm

VoteQuimby wrote:But they are allowed to carry a sidearm, which the general public cannot do. So they must be exempt somehow :ponder: That is why I am wondering if they get more than a 10 shot mag. I don't feel like reading the FA :twitch:

I went to university with a guy that worked part-time for Loomis. He had a permit to carry the firearm, but no exemption allowing anything prohibited.
Don't do what Donny Don't does.

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:23 pm

Chewie wrote:
VoteQuimby wrote:But they are allowed to carry a sidearm, which the general public cannot do. So they must be exempt somehow :ponder: That is why I am wondering if they get more than a 10 shot mag. I don't feel like reading the FA :twitch:

I went to university with a guy that worked part-time for Loomis. He had a permit to carry the firearm, but no exemption allowing anything prohibited.

Yeah, but they were all six shooters back then.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:31 am

Actually, since most of them carried prohibited handguns (4" barrel S&W revolvers), they may be allowed to carry prohibited devices too if it is approved under the company's Business Licence. There is nothing in the law that says high capacity magazines can only be carried by peace officers. (The firearms law actually doesn't address "peace officers" anyway; it talks about public officers being exempt, and special constables are not public officers.)

Therefore, it would be up to the Chief Firearms Officer of the province whether their permit could be expanded to include prohibited devices, namely high capacity magazines.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:10 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Therefore, it would be up to the Chief Firearms Officer of the province whether their permit could be expanded to include prohibited devices, namely high capacity magazines.

(Wince).... I hate that term. They're "regular capacity" magazines. :mrgreen:
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:13 pm

Who would check them to see if they were pinned or not?
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

sunsetson

HOLSTERS? S & W M & P

Postby sunsetson » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:31 am