New Smith & Wesson M & P

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: New Smith & Wesson M & P

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Jul 20, 2007 2:27 am

Actually, crossing the thumbs behind the grip is a sound theory, but it only works for revolvers. The correct shooting grip is actually done mostly by your weak hand - much like a golf club grip - and with your thumbs criss-crossed, one squeezes with the weak hand thumb and the forefinger, and then keeps the entire strong hand very relaxed.

While the theory about this grip is very sound, I would never teach it this way, even on revolvers, simply because my assumption must be that the person may one day sooner or later shoot a semi-automatic. If you criss-cross your thumbs, it is only a matter of time before you take the top of your thumb off with the slide. The S&W 5946 has such a high bore line that mounties who have been trained the old-fashioned way can get away with it ... at least most of the time. The bore line on the Glock and most other makes is much closer to your hand. (This, by the way, is one of the factors that gives the Glock it's nice feel under recoil. A lower bore line means less muzzle flip. I learned that from Rob Leatham who taught me to rest my finger on top of the safety on a 1911, and that slight difference in bore line made a noticeable difference in felt recoil. To this day, I even shoot revolvers with my thumb on top of the cylinder release, which seems an unsual place to put it, but it gets the bore line as low as possible in my grip every time.)

Aubs
Rookie Member

Postby Aubs » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:46 pm

That pistol does look nice but I have doubts. I tried the Model SW9VE Pistol not too long ago and it feels and looks like a cheap imitation of the glock. I also spoke to some officers that used the SW9VE and they are not 100% happy with it. Hopefully this one is better.

Vonn
Rookie Member

Postby Vonn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:13 pm

Aubs wrote:That pistol does look nice but I have doubts. I tried the Model SW9VE Pistol not too long ago and it feels and looks like a cheap imitation of the glock. I also spoke to some officers that used the SW9VE and they are not 100% happy with it. Hopefully this one is better.

IT IS! My husband just got one - OHHH envy - I like it! It's a beautiful piece of work :)
Instant Human... Just add Coffee!

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Vonn wrote:
Aubs wrote:That pistol does look nice but I have doubts. I tried the Model SW9VE Pistol not too long ago and it feels and looks like a cheap imitation of the glock. I also spoke to some officers that used the SW9VE and they are not 100% happy with it. Hopefully this one is better.

IT IS! My husband just got one - OHHH envy - I like it! It's a beautiful piece of work :)

I pulled a loaded one (Sigma series SW9GVE) out from the front of some guys pants. I've never fired one, but when I unloaded this one, it really had a cheap feel and sound (cheap metal) to it. The price tag would also indicate that it is not a high quality pistol. I'm sure, however, it would have made a nice hole in me either way.

Vonn
Rookie Member

Postby Vonn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:46 pm

The one my husband just bought is the new S&W 40 cal. - it has the changeable handgrips etc. It seems quite solid to me - but then again I'm not an expert on firearms by any means - just learning although I've had my PAL for 4 yrs now I believe. I believe the website on page 1 of this thread showed it.
Hub had a glock 45 cal. and it wasn't smooth. It was ackward chambering a round.

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Sun Aug 05, 2007 4:31 pm

Vonn wrote:...I believe the website on page 1 of this thread showed it...

Yup...

LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Vonn
Rookie Member

Postby Vonn » Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:10 pm

YA that's the one! sorry to have mistaken it for the sw9ve (my bad)

I had a chance to check out the S&W 40 cal. - I REALLY LIKE! I hope I'll get a chance to try it at the club :D

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Aug 05, 2007 9:17 pm

Vonn wrote:The one my husband just bought is the new S&W 40 cal. - it has the changeable handgrips etc. It seems quite solid to me - but then again I'm not an expert on firearms by any means - just learning although I've had my PAL for 4 yrs now I believe. I believe the website on page 1 of this thread showed it.
Hub had a glock 45 cal. and it wasn't smooth. It was ackward chambering a round.

Why would it be ackward chambering a round? Unless of course you were trying to use the slide stop instead of the proper over hand pull back and let go method.
Last edited by Bald Man on Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VoteQuimby

Postby VoteQuimby » Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:31 pm

You didn't just call the slide stop a slide release? :?
Son, we live in a world that has walls and those walls need to be guarded by men with guns.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:16 pm

VoteQuimby wrote:You didn't just call the slide stop a slide release? :?

Yeah, I've always been in a habit of calling it the slide release even though I don't use it to release the slide.

Vonn
Rookie Member

Postby Vonn » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:00 am

well the round was getting jammed all the time - not a good thing. That's why hub decided to trade it in for the new S&W I suppose.

247_tps
Rookie Member

Postby 247_tps » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:28 pm

EDITED
Last edited by 247_tps on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RIGAUD - AUG 2019 (14D)

RJB
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RJB » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:17 am

247_tps wrote:I work at brinks-Toronto and when we finally phase out our revolvers in the fall, we supposedly switching to the S&W M&P .40. Our branch in Peterborough has already switched over.
They are going to have to rename it the Smith & Wesson M&P&AG

Trap30
Veteran Member

Postby Trap30 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:55 pm

The Cross-over grip Vs.is very effective. I used it at Depot too. Early on at Depot my shooting was a yo-yo. One week I would shoot great and the next like crap. I called my uncle who has been a BFI for 18 years, ERT for 15 and is qualified as an instuctor for the Air Marshall program. He taught me over the phone the cross-over grip. He uses it and teaches it to all Air Marshall and ERT candidates who are not consistant in their shooting as they need to be. For these guys it generally brings their scores up 5-10 points which is the difference between passing and failing the course. I got away with using it at Depot because alot of the instuctors I had were the retired guys on contract (who also use it) new the benefits of it and weren't necessarily subject to the "RCMP" way.

Trap30