What do you carry?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Re: What do you carry?

Postby Bald Man » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:57 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:P229

but apparently we are getting new guns with a better DAK trigger.

with an increased 8lbs special order DAK trigger I hear, same as OPP? cause the factory 6.5lbs is far too light and doesn't meet the provincial regulations. :roll:

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:26 pm

yup
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:32 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:yup

still a big improvement, DAK is a better trigger system than the old DAO triggers. The DAK is more of a hybrid DAO/SA in that it has a short single action type trigger reset.

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:33 pm

The DAK is a nice trigger system. Damn...I wish my department would authorize SIG pistols again...as much as I love my G21 (not authorized to carry it...yet :o ), I had a fondness for my P220 that I carried back in the day.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:11 pm

lndshark wrote:The DAK is a nice trigger system. Damn...I wish my department would authorize SIG pistols again...as much as I love my G21 (not authorized to carry it...yet :o ), I had a fondness for my P220 that I carried back in the day.

Do your carry pistols have to be a DAO or striker fire? Or can they include DA/SA?

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:15 pm

Bald Man wrote:
lndshark wrote:The DAK is a nice trigger system. Damn...I wish my department would authorize SIG pistols again...as much as I love my G21 (not authorized to carry it...yet :o ), I had a fondness for my P220 that I carried back in the day.

Do your carry pistols have to be a DAO or striker fire? Or can they include DA/SA?

Our current issue pistol is a striker-fired Springfield Armory XD40. We can carry that, or a Springfield Armory XD40 :mrgreen: Our secondary pistol policy is pretty liberal. If you can qualify with it, you can carry it (assuming it's isn't junk). My secondary is a striker-fired Kahr Arms PM9.

I'm working to get that changed but I may be facing some resistance from our FI team (of two). I'd like to see the choices opened up to pistols of reputable manufacturer in SAO, SA/DA or striker fired. The brass will never go for a SA-only platform (think 1911-style). If anything, I think the policy should at least include an option of any striker-fired gun (Glock, Springfield, S&W M&P, etc.).

You wanna know who has an awesome firearms policy? LAPD. They issue in the academy a G17 (just changed from a G22). Upon completion of probation, you can opt to carry a G19, G22, G34, G35, G21. You can also go to a DA/SA class and carry a S&W 9mm or .45 or a 9mm Beretta 92FS (the last two may require a certain hire date). Once you've proven that you can maintain a certain qualification level, officers can also attend a 1911 school and carry a personally-owned .45ACP 1911 pistol. LAPD also has a diverse long-gun policy which allows officers to carry their own M4/AR15 variant and/or shotgun.

I'm all about the personal pistol choice. LVMPD does it right...instead of an issue pistol, academy recruits shoot a handful of pistols in the academy and are encourage to purchase what they are the most proficient and confident with...not this "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Hope that answers your question...sorry for the long-winded reply :D

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:39 pm

Interesting. Thanks. I like your diverse choice of XD pistols :D

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:22 pm

lndshark wrote:
Bald Man wrote:

Our current issue pistol is a striker-fired Springfield Armory XD40. We can carry that, or a Springfield Armory XD40 :mrgreen: Our secondary pistol policy is pretty liberal. If you can qualify with it, you can carry it (assuming it's isn't junk). My secondary is a striker-fired Kahr Arms PM9.

I'm working to get that changed but I may be facing some resistance from our FI team (of two). I'd like to see the choices opened up to pistols of reputable manufacturer in SAO, SA/DA or striker fired. The brass will never go for a SA-only platform (think 1911-style). If anything, I think the policy should at least include an option of any striker-fired gun (Glock, Springfield, S&W M&P, etc.).

You wanna know who has an awesome firearms policy? LAPD. They issue in the academy a G17 (just changed from a G22). Upon completion of probation, you can opt to carry a G19, G22, G34, G35, G21. You can also go to a DA/SA class and carry a S&W 9mm or .45 or a 9mm Beretta 92FS (the last two may require a certain hire date). Once you've proven that you can maintain a certain qualification level, officers can also attend a 1911 school and carry a personally-owned .45ACP 1911 pistol. LAPD also has a diverse long-gun policy which allows officers to carry their own M4/AR15 variant and/or shotgun.

I'm all about the personal pistol choice. LVMPD does it right...instead of an issue pistol, academy recruits shoot a handful of pistols in the academy and are encourage to purchase what they are the most proficient and confident with...not this "one-size-fits-all" approach.

Hope that answers your question...sorry for the long-winded reply :D

Awesome post, post more of this stuff. I love learning about different agencies.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:36 pm

I wish we could do that too. I'd carry my p226R and have a tricked out C8 with eotech and a light on it.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

DubCEE
Rookie Member

Postby DubCEE » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:59 pm

I'm so jealous that you get to carry a secondary pistol! i wish my department had that too!

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:37 pm

DubCEE wrote:

I'm so jealous that you get to carry a secondary pistol! i wish my department had that too!

We're actually encourage to carry a backup. In academy, secondary weapon use is actually taught, not only on the range, but also during advanced defensive tactics. In the event of a gun grab, which is considered deadly force, we are taught many retention-based firing positions (including those that would not endanger a fellow officer which I won't go into in a public forum).

Disclaimer: not all departments here allow secondary carry. I'm fortunate to work for a department that has a liberal back-up gun policy. There are also some departments that ISSUE secondary pistols (Michigan State Police is one that comes to mind, California Department of Fish & Game is another).

BTW, from your American Brother in Blue and his Saskatchewan Born Wife: HAPPY CANADA DAY BLUELINERS!

SupahDuck
King Poobah

Postby SupahDuck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 pm

Our H&K P2000 is the v5 variant, with a DAO action, and approximately 8lb trigger pull (35 Newtons).

I don't mind it at all...... especially when you compare it with the .38 peashooter junk we used to have....
It's easier to be a result of the past, but more fun to be a cause of the future.

"The key problem is those people who take it personal. Never take shit personal in the enforcement business." - Toonces, Blueline Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:37 pm

SupahDuck wrote:Our H&K P2000 is the v5 variant, with a DAO action, and approximately 8lb trigger pull (35 Newtons).

I don't mind it at all...... especially when you compare it with the .38 peashooter junk we used to have....

9mm?

MedTech
Grand Poobah

Postby MedTech » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:36 pm

lndshark wrote:
SupahDuck wrote:Our H&K P2000 is the v5 variant, with a DAO action, and approximately 8lb trigger pull (35 Newtons).

9mm?

Yup.
CORRECTIONAL OFFICER

lndshark

Postby lndshark » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:34 pm

MedTech wrote:
lndshark wrote:

9mm?

Yup.

Oh, good. Was hoping "they" didn't make you carry that dreaded .40 S&W 88)