What do you carry?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: What do you carry?

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:15 am

All I can do is simply repeat that few agencies would not want to have any input into their own pistol selection.

Different agencies have different priorities. Do you really want one agency selecting pistols for everyone when they may have other priorities? For example, one federal agency requires a magazine disconnect and builds that requirement in to their tender requirements for themselves and other agencies they have "assisted."

However, the vast majority of other agencies in Canada will NOT order a pistol with a magazine disconnect, and the vast majority of police handgun manufacturers do not equip their pistols with this questionable feature. Glock and Sig do not install them, and Beretta and H&K would only equip their pistols with a magazine disconnect if specially ordered.

Smith & Wesson is the only manufacturer who equips their pistols with magazine disconnects ... and even then, they will sell ones without if ordered that way.

(Ironically, that same federal agency that insist on magazine disconnects also issues a black version of the same pistol WITHOUT a magazine disconnect for ERT and K9 ... so even then, there is disagreement about whether this is a good feature or not.)

It is because of some unknowledgeable bureaucrat's insistence on this highly questionable feature that a majour agency in Canada now has to issue new guns every three years because they are saddled with a second-rate pistol that they can't get parts for and no one can fix.

Yes, there is a reason why five majour police agencies in Canada switched from the Beretta to another make entirely. (Vancouver went to Sig and the other four went to Glock.)

Would you really want to work for an agency where you were not allowed to have the superior pistol just because someone else at another agency and with different priorities said so?

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:58 am

I hear hear you Dave

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:48 am

FedCO wrote:
Bald Man wrote:So the HK pistol would not serve CBSA as it does with CSC, Parks and whoever else carries it? Didn't most agencies across Canada carry S&W model 10's at one point? (I know many carried Colt's, Webley's before that but eventually most switched to the model 10 for a number of reasons one being S&W K frames could handle the newer +P ammunition)

I'm just curious because my service purchases uniforms and equipment with other services because the pricing is better. Could these agencies not share the same purchasing contracts to save on cost?

Ya i agree with you. CBSA, Parks, CSC, etc should of all went in on same pistol. Would of saved a lot of money. But I still wish, they went with the HK P30 V6 DAO

An agency with a mix of uniform and plainclothes responsibility might choose a sig 229 or glock 19, for example, as a general issue gun, whereas a uniform-only agency might decide on the full-size version (226, g17) to maximize capacity since concealabilty is not a concern.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:41 am

RGW wrote:An agency with a mix of uniform and plainclothes responsibility might choose a sig 229 or glock 19, for example, as a general issue gun, whereas a uniform-only agency might decide on the full-size version (226, g17) to maximize capacity since concealabilty is not a concern.

Sorry. If the guns were chosen by the largest federal agency in Canada for all other federal agencies, none of those above models could be issued.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 am

Why is the criteria for these federal agencies? I'm just curious how they differ

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:38 pm

NAPS is in the process of switching to 9mm g17/g19/g26
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:46 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:NAPS is in the process of switching to 9mm g17/g19/g26

They don't like Sigs anymore?

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:49 pm

apparently not. they are transitioning in january to all 9mm glocks with lights mounted on the pistol. Also they are getting lights for their c8s
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Does anyone know why the .45 ACP was excluded from use in Ontario under the PSA?

Do any police in Canada carry .45 ACP pistols? I don't think I've ever heard of it. Too bad..

Bald Man
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Bald Man » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:07 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:apparently not. they are transitioning in january to all 9mm glocks with lights mounted on the pistol. Also they are getting lights for their c8s

good choice

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:14 pm

Back in 1993-94 when the transitions were about to go on, the govt vetoed the 45 because of the association with dirty harry,hollywood violence etc.
the govt of the day didnt want the image of police being a bunch of gunslingers with 45s.
True story one of the guys that was on the transition team and a firearms instructor on the committee that was picking the pistol and the round told me that.
I would love to carry a 45 cal pistol, this is another example of govt making an asinine uninformed decision with no factual basis and basing the decision on image alone.

SierraSeven
King Poobah

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:24 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:apparently not. they are transitioning in january to all 9mm glocks with lights mounted on the pistol. Also they are getting lights for their c8s

That's interesting to hear, good for them :thumbsup: wonder why the switch from .40 to 9mm?

Went to OPC with a guy from NAPS. Think he was posted to Moose Factory.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:32 pm

SierraSeven wrote:

That's interesting to hear, good for them :thumbsup: wonder why the switch from .40 to 9mm?

Went to OPC with a guy from NAPS. Think he was posted to Moose Factory.

Noob question but who are NAPS?

No 20 Year Medal
King Poobah

Postby No 20 Year Medal » Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:51 pm

First Nations Police in Ontario, Nishnawbe-Aski Police Service

First shoulder flash

Newest flashes
Image Image

Hey, he asked... :angel:
POLICE CONSTABLE

My patch traders page: http://public.fotki.com/No20YearMedal/