Ruger Police Service Six FIVE Inch

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
pwf
Rookie Member

Ruger Police Service Six FIVE Inch

Postby pwf » Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:38 pm

I have been trying to find historical information on the RCMP evaluation of the Ruger Police Service Six .38SPL, FIVE Inch barrel version.

According to information on US collector websites, apparently around about 1984 or so Ruger was contracted to make up a batch of non-catalogued 5" Police Service Six in .38SPL (SDA-85H) for the RCMP, who were then looking at alternatives to replace their aging Smith & Wesson Model 10s. The Rugers were a non-standard item (the Police Service Six came with a 4" or 6" barrel). From what I gather some 150 of these were made up, of which 135 were said to be delivered to the RCMP for evaluation, and a production over-run of 15 revolvers released to the US market.

I was hoping that someone frequenting this website may have some first-hand knowledge of these guns, specifically as to whether in fact the above is correct, and if so, what did the RCMP do with these revolvers afterwards.

Is there anyone on this forum who by chance has any involvement with or knowledge of these 5" Police Service Sixes ?

Many thanks,

Peter