Wild Hogs in BC?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:32 pm

Anyone have the inside scoop on where to find feral pigs/wild hogs in BC? No cheesy jokes please :P

Looking to hunt up some wild bacon! :sniper:
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Striker » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:42 am

had the chance to hunt one that escaped from a hunting reserve here a few years ago.
That thing soaked up 5 rounds of #4 buck before it went down. :shock:
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm

Striker wrote:had the chance to hunt one that escaped from a hunting reserve here a few years ago.
That thing soaked up 5 rounds of #4 buck before it went down. :shock:
I've heard they're tough! I was planning to hunt with my Mosin Nagant M91/30, and I was planning to bring the bayonet for that reason :alright:
Image
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Striker » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:28 pm

Longarm9 wrote:
Striker wrote:had the chance to hunt one that escaped from a hunting reserve here a few years ago.
That thing soaked up 5 rounds of #4 buck before it went down. :shock:
I've heard they're tough! I was planning to hunt with my Mosin Nagant M91/30, and I was planning to bring the bayonet for that reason :alright:
Image
broadside they aren't bad to bring down..if it decides to charge you head on..it's about 4 inches wide and it's front shoulders are all cartilage.. :shock:
when my buddy hit it with his first shot it was broad side..when the buckshot hit him..he turned and charged us..
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Thu Jan 28, 2016 8:14 pm

Striker wrote:broadside they aren't bad to bring down..if it decides to charge you head on..it's about 4 inches wide and it's front shoulders are all cartilage.. :shock:
when my buddy hit it with his first shot it was broad side..when the buckshot hit him..he turned and charged us..
Well, if 5 rounds of 7.62x54R aren't enough, it'll get introduced to "the pig sticker" >:D

Of course, I'd have to find some first. They're supposedly around here, but they're very elusive. At the very least, a day spent in the woods is never wasted.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Striker » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:46 am

Longarm9 wrote:
Striker wrote:broadside they aren't bad to bring down..if it decides to charge you head on..it's about 4 inches wide and it's front shoulders are all cartilage.. :shock:
when my buddy hit it with his first shot it was broad side..when the buckshot hit him..he turned and charged us..
Well, if 5 rounds of 7.62x54R aren't enough, it'll get introduced to "the pig sticker" >:D

Of course, I'd have to find some first. They're supposedly around here, but they're very elusive. At the very least, a day spent in the woods is never wasted.
it will get the adrenaline running for sure...and watch their tusks..those things are razor sharp.
Post pics. ;)
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:08 pm

Striker wrote:it will get the adrenaline running for sure...and watch their tusks..those things are razor sharp.
Post pics. ;)
I'll have to find some first, but I certainly will if I get one :D I have to convince some of my wussy buddies to brave the crap weather in the mountains to go searching for them lol :sniper:
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby mark y » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:05 pm

Longarm9 wrote:
Striker wrote:it will get the adrenaline running for sure...and watch their tusks..those things are razor sharp.
Post pics. ;)
I'll have to find some first, but I certainly will if I get one :D I have to convince some of my wussy buddies to brave the crap weather in the mountains to go searching for them lol :sniper:
Did you ever find anything out on this?? I'd be very interested as well.

BC has an Invasive Species Council, apparently. http://bcinvasives.ca/news-events/recen ... s-anywhere

I emailed them just now to see if they can give any tips for finding these beasties. I'm sure that they would like them eradicated and hopefully will be happy to help us pinpoint locations. I'll let you know if they give me any helpful responses.

seekerbeta
Veteran Member
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby seekerbeta » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:29 pm

I remember coming upon a couple of wild pigs when were up exploring the Cornwall Fire lookout in Ashcroft BC, they were small though, too small to make anything more than a couple strips of bacon.
CBSA OITP Graduate 7C - July 21 2016

User avatar
BROVO26
Grand Poobah
Posts: 554
Joined: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:57 pm
Location: Home sweet home

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby BROVO26 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:56 pm

Longarm9 wrote:Anyone have the inside scoop on where to find feral pigs/wild hogs in BC? No cheesy jokes please :P

Looking to hunt up some wild bacon! :sniper:
Oh, here I was thinking you were looking for a motorcycle gang! :mrgreen:
It's not if you win or lose, but how you place the blame.

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:18 am

BROVO26 wrote:
Longarm9 wrote:Anyone have the inside scoop on where to find feral pigs/wild hogs in BC? No cheesy jokes please :P

Looking to hunt up some wild bacon! :sniper:
Oh, here I was thinking you were looking for a motorcycle gang! :mrgreen:
If they start riding motorcycles, we're all in trouble 88)
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
mark y
Grand Poobah
Posts: 869
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:56 pm
Location: Surrey, BC
Contact:

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby mark y » Thu May 12, 2016 6:01 pm

Response from the project manager at BCInvasives.ca....
Feral pigs are certainly not wanted in BC. Currently numbers are very low but we know that they exist as they have been reportings submitted and photos taken. Areas east of Williams Lake and in the north Thompson can't confirm locations of pigs as information is spotty. Hunters and residents are being asked to keep their eyes open, report them, take pictures, in an effort to help increase knowledge

They're not at a population number (yet, nor do we want) where we can suggest to go hunting.

Hunters have the ability to shoot them due to hunting regulations changes that as long as firearm and hunting regulations are followed, there is no tag needed

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Wild Hogs in BC?

Postby Longarm9 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:43 pm

Busy life and lack of willing hunting buddies has kept me from pursuing this so far, but there's a chance it might happen this November. I'll post if we find any. Thanks for the info guys!
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest