S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

User avatar
zjswain
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am
Location: WR

S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby zjswain » Sat May 23, 2015 4:23 pm

Hello all,

I am looking for some input on these two Smith and Wesson firearms. I understand that the SD is more of the budget version, and I am aware of the differences and such as I have handled both of them. What I am looking for is some outside opinions from people that have fired/handled both. Likes and dislikes of each? Lacking anywhere?

Thanks!

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby Dave Brown » Sun May 24, 2015 12:01 am

The SD is an economy version of the Sigma, which is likely the worst pistol ever made by S&W.

This is like saying a car is an economy version of a Yugo.

When the Sigma first came out, it used so many parts directly copied from the Glock that S&W was sued. I heard that S&W lost in court when they were able to take certain parts off the Sigma and drop them directly into a Glock.

The ergonomics seem to be copied from the Sigma. I tried a Sigma when they first came out, fired one magazine, handed it back to the Canadian S&W rep and said, "Sorry."

S&W has made some amazing pistols over the years. The 686 is still the greatest revolver EVER MADE, and if you bought one today, you could sell it in five years for more than what you paid, it is that good.

I have found the M&P line to be nearly as revolutionary.

Hold out for an M&P. Trust me; you will thank me some day.

melom
Sage Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby melom » Mon May 25, 2015 2:19 am

Just buy the M&P. There's really no reason not to. (Although I would suggest to buy the 9mm one, if just for cheaper shooting.)

User avatar
zjswain
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am
Location: WR

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby zjswain » Tue May 26, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks!

Went with the M&P .40 . I have fired it before, so I know I wont be disappointed.

melom
Sage Member
Posts: 476
Joined: Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby melom » Wed May 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm always happy to convince people to spend more money :)

Mainly because it's much cheaper than buying something and realizing that you really do want something better.

User avatar
RedcapCrusader
Regular Member
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri May 08, 2015 7:36 pm
Location: Calgary, AB

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby RedcapCrusader » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:54 pm

The great thing about the M&P40 is you have the option to go with the Range Kit package which provides the pistol, 3 magazines, magazine holster, pistol holster, cable lock, speed loader for mags, and a carrying case.

The only thing I gripe about the M&P40 is the safety. I don't like the trigger safety on it, it pinches my finger and makes trigger pulls awkward. I could not find a M&P being sold in Canada with a thumb safety or magazine safety. I could have one shipped from the US, but the extra money just for a normal safety and no Range Kit was a disqualifying point.

Interchangeable grips for people with small hands like me is nice, but I still have preferred the Sig Sauer P225 and 226 over most pistols.

I still like shooting my M&P though, but not as much since falling in love with the 226. Sigs are much more expensive, but the quality is worth it.

User avatar
Longarm9
King Poobah
Posts: 2041
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby Longarm9 » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:44 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Hold out for an M&P. Trust me; you will thank me some day.
Dave, could you tell this to the people in charge of CBSA and RCMP? K thanks! :alright:
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

User avatar
zjswain
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am
Location: WR

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby zjswain » Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:08 pm

RedcapCrusader wrote:The great thing about the M&P40 is you have the option to go with the Range Kit package which provides the pistol, 3 magazines, magazine holster, pistol holster, cable lock, speed loader for mags, and a carrying case.

The only thing I gripe about the M&P40 is the safety. I don't like the trigger safety on it, it pinches my finger and makes trigger pulls awkward. I could not find a M&P being sold in Canada with a thumb safety or magazine safety. I could have one shipped from the US, but the extra money just for a normal safety and no Range Kit was a disqualifying point.

Interchangeable grips for people with small hands like me is nice, but I still have preferred the Sig Sauer P225 and 226 over most pistols.

I still like shooting my M&P though, but not as much since falling in love with the 226. Sigs are much more expensive, but the quality is worth it.
Yeah, I went with the range kit. Lots of goodies in it. The three magazine part is awesome, along with the mag loader!

Have had it for about a month now.... still waiting on the ATT, so I have yet to get any rounds through it. Apparently the CFO in Ontario likes to take their sweet ass time. :banghead: Would be nice if when C42 became law, the ATT part came into force right away!

TPS11
King Poobah
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby TPS11 » Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:03 am

What did you pay for the S&W range kit?

User avatar
zjswain
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am
Location: WR

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby zjswain » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:06 pm

TPS11 wrote:What did you pay for the S&W range kit?
$700

TPS11
King Poobah
Posts: 1882
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:11 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby TPS11 » Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:11 pm

zjswain wrote:
TPS11 wrote:What did you pay for the S&W range kit?
$700
Tax in or Plus tax?

Thanks just wondering what other people charging for this.

User avatar
zjswain
Veteran Member
Posts: 150
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:59 am
Location: WR

Re: S&W M&P40 vs. SD40VE

Postby zjswain » Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:51 pm

TPS11 wrote:
zjswain wrote:
TPS11 wrote:What did you pay for the S&W range kit?
$700
Tax in or Plus tax?

Thanks just wondering what other people charging for this.
It was 695 plus tax


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot and 1 guest