CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

User avatar
Benelli
Rookie Member
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:58 pm
Location: Winnipeg

CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Postby Benelli » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 pm

Hey everyone,

I have applied to CSC (prairie region) and am waiting to complete and pass the interview. I am looking into areas I can improve on while waiting in the, overall, process. To the best of my knowledge, firearms training is one. I have a valid RPAL and access to safe and legal-designated shooting areas. What are some exercises (ie: trap shooting or close/long range etc) I can practise, so that I can be as prepared as possible for if/when I am accepted into training part of the process?

If able, feel free to send a email. If you're not able to provide me with this information, can you please provide the calibres or gauges that candidates will be trained and tested on? Also, will it just be non-restricted firearms or will there be restricteds aswell?

Any information that can be provided that would help me to be as prepared as possible would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you
The right way is not always the popular and easy way. Standing for right when it is unpopular is a true test of moral character.
~ Margaret Chase Smith

User avatar
Dave Brown
Site Admin
Posts: 3846
Joined: Tue Oct 10, 2000 1:01 am
Location: Winnipeg, MB

Re: CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:51 am

Benelli wrote: I have applied to CSC (prairie region) and am waiting to complete and pass the interview. I am looking into areas I can improve on while waiting in the, overall, process. To the best of my knowledge, firearms training is one. I have a valid RPAL and access to safe and legal-designated shooting areas. What are some exercises (ie: trap shooting or close/long range etc) I can practise, so that I can be as prepared as possible for if/when I am accepted into training part of the process?
None. Remember your lessons from the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course, and when you attend your firearms training when you are hired, remember these four rules:
#1 - Sit down.
#2 - Shut up.
#3 - Be a sponge.
#4 - Control the muzzle direction, keep your trigger finger up on the frame unless shooting and never call it a "clip."

In short, taking any 'advanced" firearms training means they may just have to untrain you on the techniques that you might have learned from some mall ninjas or Chris Costa-signature cool guy gear "operators". Save your money, and just apply.
Benelli wrote: Can you please provide the calibres or gauges that candidates will be trained and tested on?
No. When you are hired, you will find out in due course.


By the way, for the benefit of you and others who may read this thread in the future, where and how you obtained your firearms licence WILL impact on how well you absorb your future firearms training. Those above four rules are part of the CFSC course but if you cut corners in that level of your basic safety training, it will not bode well for your future occupational-level training.

For example, in Manitoba, one can be grandfathered out of the CFSC by a Manitoba Hunter Safety Course they took when they were 12 years old. One can also take a "quickie" course where you learn both courses in one day. DON'T DO IT.

Don't cut corners on safety.

Hope this helps, and good luck in the future.

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Postby Striker » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:48 am

As a CSC firearms instructor..what Dave said..all you are going to do is teach yourself bad habits that may get you sent home.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

User avatar
ODIN
Seasoned Member
Posts: 310
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:53 am

Re: CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Postby ODIN » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:50 pm

Dave Brown wrote:
Benelli wrote: I have applied to CSC (prairie region) and am waiting to complete and pass the interview. I am looking into areas I can improve on while waiting in the, overall, process. To the best of my knowledge, firearms training is one. I have a valid RPAL and access to safe and legal-designated shooting areas. What are some exercises (ie: trap shooting or close/long range etc) I can practise, so that I can be as prepared as possible for if/when I am accepted into training part of the process?
None. Remember your lessons from the Canadian Firearms Safety Course and the Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety Course, and when you attend your firearms training when you are hired, remember these four rules:
#1 - Sit down.
#2 - Shut up.
#3 - Be a sponge.
#4 - Control the muzzle direction, keep your trigger finger up on the frame unless shooting and never call it a "clip."

In short, taking any 'advanced" firearms training means they may just have to untrain you on the techniques that you might have learned from some mall ninjas or Chris Costa-signature cool guy gear "operators". Save your money, and just apply.
Benelli wrote: Can you please provide the calibres or gauges that candidates will be trained and tested on?
No. When you are hired, you will find out in due course By the way, for the benefit of you and others who may read this thread in the future, where and how you obtained your firearms licence WILL impact on how well you absorb your future firearms training. Those above four rules are part of the CFSC course but if you cut corners in that level of your basic safety training, it will not bode well for your future occupational-level training.

For example, in Manitoba, one can be grandfathered out of the CFSC by a Manitoba Hunter Safety Course they took when they were 12 years old. One can also take a "quickie" course where you learn both courses in one day. DON'T DO IT.

Don't cut corners on safety.

Hope this helps, and good luck in the future.
Well said Dave!! Best advise I have heard on this topic in a long time. Also when the instructor asks you what firearm experiance you have, dont respond with "lots, i play call of duty". Its been said and its not appreciated. Im not going to tell you that CSC will make you a master marksmen, but should you go to Depot, I do know some of the weapons instructors. They are highly capable and very experianced, if you listen to them you will pass and you will have a excellent base to build from. Also remember that shooting is a perishable skill, if not kept up you will lose it. Too many members only shoot once a year.
.
CTP-22

Cunningham
Rookie Member
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:35 pm

Re: CSC candidate-What can I work on?

Postby Cunningham » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:12 pm

Not sure if this is the correct forum to be posting but if you are accepted to Core these are some of the things I wish I had known to bring beforehand/some tips

Some things to buy/bring

Sewing kit
Laundry Soap/dryer sheets/Laundry bag
Toiletries (condoms; everyone hooks up with everyone)
Scentsy (It can stink)
Scissors
Iron/something to iron on i.e. towel.. There is always a line up to use the communal ones and buy a can of starch
Steel toe black boots (must be at least 6inches in back) you’re going to want to break them in before core. Also invest in gel insoles
Easy shine polish, the black roll on parade shine is easy to use
Black Socks
Warm stuff (it’s extremely cold there in the winter; like -30) If you get to pre order your uniform I would suggest the mink hat and the black mittens from LOGISTIK, also order your pants long because its easy to hem but you can’t make them longer (mine were like a foot short), order your shirts small because they are very big.
Good pair of gym shoes for indoor and a pair for outdoor (also break-in before core)
A pocket knife; keep it on you at all times - you would be surprised how much you will need it
Good water bottle
Lots of pens
Lots of money (seems like everything is expensive)
Your laptop with a portable hard drive filled with movies/shows/music
Good headphones (in ear) and MP3 player
A good sleeping bag/duvet; that way you don’t have to make your bed every morning you can just put the duvet away. Bring your own pillow as well, theirs suck
If you can bring your car; Depot is not close to anything. You will 100% appreciate the freedom.

Tips for living quarters:

Set a curfew and Don’t be loud at night (some ppl can get very annoyed)

Drink together on the weekends (its fun)

Set up after class/weekend activities to do as a group (this consisted of mostly going to the bar/drinking in our core)

Make a task board and get ppl to assign themselves to different chores (won’t work if you tell ppl what to do)
Homework; work in groups or make a task board and get ppl to assign themselves to different questions and then post answers on board so everyone can copy... There’s lots of homework and no one ever wants to do it... **If there’s one thing I could have done differently it would have been this (our core sucked at working together to get homework done) It was always one person doing all the work and everyone copying; very amusing when a question is answered wrong for the whole core won’t know the correct answer. TESTS: all tests will be directly related to the homework assignments; don’t stress about them they are all pretty straight forward/easy.. In class shut up and speak when spoken to, the instructors do not appreciate a ADHD class clown.

Get the loudest and easiest to get along with person to be your drill sergeant (not being sexist, but I’d suggest this be a guy). It’s not rocket science but you will need someone who ppl will respect or it will not work... Also make sure that everyone knows to shut up and pay attention when marching; the instructors pay close attention and core will be a lot easier if you know what you’re doing and do it better than the other groups... If you suck at working together as a group then the instructors will pick on your core and it will be no fun.

Iron all your shirts super nice and set up your closet according to the picture they give you. Just wear the same uniforms that are not hung up. Same with your bed; make it super nice than just sleep on top of your made bed with your own bedding; that way your bed just needs to be straightened in the morning and not made.
It’s paramilitary so your group is only as strong as the weakest link... In gym make sure the strongest pair with the weakest. Make sure the smart ones help the dumb ones with academics.

Work together as a Core, if everyone is getting up at 0500-you get up at 0500. Do not be that guy/girl who doesn’t want to be part of the group. Don’t sleep in, don’t be that guy/girl who everyone is lined up outside waiting for.

If instructors ask you to clean up after class don’t do a half ass job at it. Always pitch in. If you see something that needs to be done than do it (who cares if it’s not your job)

Never belittle or make fun of anyone- EVER; this is a quick way to get sent home.

Try hard but don’t overdo it, core is meant to be fun as well.


*As an aside: I have found that Sports and Drinking are important in CSC (it’s the way up the corporate ladder).


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest