NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5307
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:51 pm

Yip.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

KLICK
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby KLICK » Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:33 pm

I can say from first hand experience, NEA is a low-end, commercial grade product. Putting aside their questionable business ethics, I have either personally seen, or have had trusted friends who have seen NEA experience major malfunctions. No machine is malfunction-proof and when used every machine will break eventually but NEA's seem to experience it more frequently then other brands.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby FedCO » Tue Jan 06, 2015 6:57 am

KLICK wrote:I can say from first hand experience, NEA is a low-end, commercial grade product. Putting aside their questionable business ethics, I have either personally seen, or have had trusted friends who have seen NEA experience major malfunctions. No machine is malfunction-proof and when used every machine will break eventually but NEA's seem to experience it more frequently then other brands.
Recent models? There newest run of firearms look good to me. questionable business ethics? How so?

User avatar
HiPowered
Seasoned Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby HiPowered » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:49 pm

KLICK wrote:I can say from first hand experience, NEA is a low-end, commercial grade product. Putting aside their questionable business ethics, I have either personally seen, or have had trusted friends who have seen NEA experience major malfunctions. No machine is malfunction-proof and when used every machine will break eventually but NEA's seem to experience it more frequently then other brands.
Agreed. From what I've seen in the industry and from talking to trusted gunsmiths that I know, I won't recommend NEA's rifles anymore. Add to that their really shady behaviour online and I'm not too interested in giving them money. From what I've heard, their latest generation of large parts (uppers, lowers, barrels, BCG's) have been good quality but their small parts still have issues. I'm glad to see they got past their initial teething issues with their large parts, but they still have a way to go before they're a competitor for Colt, DD, WW, etc

The best deal going for a long time was the 6920 from irunguns, IMO. If you could still get it for $1k it was a good quality rifle at a good price. I'm no pony polisher - what I've seen from them has been consistent quality. I'm currently running a mixmaster that I'm perfectly happy with, but my friends and teammates shoot DD's and other higher-end brands and gooooooooooood loooooooooooord those are nice rifles. Maybe one day when the wife is out of school, I'll indulge.
FedCO wrote: questionable business ethics? How so?
They had a shill feeding positive reviews into CGN when they first released their rifle. People found out, NEA used their considerable pull with the owner of CGN (who is pretty shady himself) to try to have the evidence erased. Threads were deleted, people were banned (including a popular mod) and they denied denied denied. Until someone posted a decent amount of proof that they couldn't escape from and they had to own up and admit it. It was disgusting.

That's all I'm aware of, but who knows - with ethics like that they've probably done even more.

User avatar
Casey Jones
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 4243
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:05 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Casey Jones » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:09 am

Just bought one. Not sure which gen it is. Not overly impressed with the finish on the lower (obvious machining marks). The Troy furniture I got on it is pretty nice though haha.

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Striker » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:27 am

HiPowered wrote:[
They had a shill feeding positive reviews into CGN when they first released their rifle. People found out, NEA used their considerable pull with the owner of CGN (who is pretty shady himself) to try to have the evidence erased. Threads were deleted, people were banned (including a popular mod) and they denied denied denied. Until someone posted a decent amount of proof that they couldn't escape from and they had to own up and admit it. It was disgusting.

That's all I'm aware of, but who knows - with ethics like that they've probably done even more.
That was a huge clusterf***..
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 am

Its a shame with NEA, I just didn't want to roll the dice on my first and only AR.

Anybody have any insight on the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight or the Troy fixed rear battle sight.

The DD is $20 more from where I can source it. M4C and Arfcom both place them on equal footing, main difference being Troy is same plane aperture.
Personally, I find the DD more aesthetically pleasing. Another option would be to source an A2 carry handle and chop it down.

I'm running this rifle, K.I.S.S. for the next year or more. So no optic for me, but a Aimpoint Micro H1 or PRO is what I'd be interested in later. Most likely on a lower 1/3 cowitness.

The rifle came with a Magpul MBUS gen 2.

I don't know if I should sell the MBUS, and buy the DD/Troy for an extra $50-60.
Or keep the MBUS and save for the Aimpoint, and run the MBUS as my primary for a year or so.

User avatar
HiPowered
Seasoned Member
Posts: 293
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:16 pm
Location: Alberta

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby HiPowered » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:24 am

M&P9 wrote:Its a shame with NEA, I just didn't want to roll the dice on my first and only AR.

Anybody have any insight on the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight or the Troy fixed rear battle sight.

The DD is $20 more from where I can source it. M4C and Arfcom both place them on equal footing, main difference being Troy is same plane aperture.
Personally, I find the DD more aesthetically pleasing. Another option would be to source an A2 carry handle and chop it down.

I'm running this rifle, K.I.S.S. for the next year or more. So no optic for me, but a Aimpoint Micro H1 or PRO is what I'd be interested in later. Most likely on a lower 1/3 cowitness.

The rifle came with a Magpul MBUS gen 2.

I don't know if I should sell the MBUS, and buy the DD/Troy for an extra $50-60.
Or keep the MBUS and save for the Aimpoint, and run the MBUS as my primary for a year or so.
I've used the DD rear sights on my rifles and love them. I currently have a Troy M4 folding front sight that I picked up because it was a good deal but my plan is to get another DD fixed front because they're quality pieces of kit.

It's really up to you. I did the same thing with this AR - KISS build. No optics, no fancy shit. I'd say get a good quality fixed rear. If you decide you want an optic in the future, I prefer a fixed rear with a red dot anyways, so I say get the DD and you'll be halfway there. :D

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby FedCO » Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:07 am

HiPowered wrote:
M&P9 wrote:Its a shame with NEA, I just didn't want to roll the dice on my first and only AR.

Anybody have any insight on the Daniel Defense A1.5 fixed rear sight or the Troy fixed rear battle sight.

The DD is $20 more from where I can source it. M4C and Arfcom both place them on equal footing, main difference being Troy is same plane aperture.
Personally, I find the DD more aesthetically pleasing. Another option would be to source an A2 carry handle and chop it down.

I'm running this rifle, K.I.S.S. for the next year or more. So no optic for me, but a Aimpoint Micro H1 or PRO is what I'd be interested in later. Most likely on a lower 1/3 cowitness.

The rifle came with a Magpul MBUS gen 2.

I don't know if I should sell the MBUS, and buy the DD/Troy for an extra $50-60.
Or keep the MBUS and save for the Aimpoint, and run the MBUS as my primary for a year or so.
I've used the DD rear sights on my rifles and love them. I currently have a Troy M4 folding front sight that I picked up because it was a good deal but my plan is to get another DD fixed front because they're quality pieces of kit.

It's really up to you. I did the same thing with this AR - KISS build. No optics, no fancy shit. I'd say get a good quality fixed rear. If you decide you want an optic in the future, I prefer a fixed rear with a red dot anyways, so I say get the DD and you'll be halfway there. :D
I rock a Aimpoint Pro on my AR and sometimes i take it off and love how simple the rifle is with irons. No doubt red dot gives quicker shots. For back up irons these are the only way I go now.

http://www.wolverinesupplies.com/detail ... Combo.aspx

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:08 pm

That's two votes for the DD, I'm probably going that route. I love the simplicity of the irons.

Buddy of mine has the PRO, which I plan on testing with my MBUS, to see how I like the cowitness. He has a Vortex Sparc as well, just want to test out the micro. I know its no Aimpoint, but I don't have a T1 or H1 to test.

Thanks for the DD input.

KLICK
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:52 pm

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby KLICK » Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:14 pm

Make that 3 for the DD! Can't go wrong with that.

As far as the PRO goes, as previously stated is the best Red-Dot on the market for the price you pay.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby FedCO » Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:00 am

M&P9 wrote:That's two votes for the DD, I'm probably going that route. I love the simplicity of the irons.

Buddy of mine has the PRO, which I plan on testing with my MBUS, to see how I like the cowitness. He has a Vortex Sparc as well, just want to test out the micro. I know its no Aimpoint, but I don't have a T1 or H1 to test.

Thanks for the DD input.
Aimpoint Pro can go three years with dot left on setting 7 brightness. Its true that it can!

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5307
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby A.T.R. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:03 pm

My H1's have been left on since August 2012.

This August Ill swap the batteries.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

kingair
Rookie Member
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 12:00 pm

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby kingair » Tue Jan 13, 2015 9:20 am

I agree withe the NEA, I'll take a Norstinko before an NEA.

Buddy of mine had the NEA LE deal (DMR Version) and 1500 rounds the bolt sheared. Yes they replaced the the part, but really 1500 rounds.

Another friend had his go at 2500 rounds. I would go for a Colt or DD AR. Spend the extra cash. I currently run a DDV5, with my reloads at 100m I'm getting a .9 moa (Prone position Bipod, 5 round grouping hot barrel) and .7 moa with a cold barrel. SMK 69gr 25 gr of varget.
prior to my reloads, using factory ammo I was getting 1.5" groupings. No stoppages with my rifle and its been 2 years now.

my .02

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:48 pm

I've had actually heard some good things about norcs, probably because the expectations were low to begin with.

Its a damn shame that NEA has had poor quality control. Still would love to see a Canadian company from succeed in the AR game, being an Ontarian, all the more so.

I got the colt LE6920 BTW, the DDs were a bit out of my range. Although after watching Larry Vickers beat the piss out of a DD and the Aimpoint T1, it gives me a tremendous amount of respect for the DD rifles and Aimpoint micros.



kingair wrote:I agree withe the NEA, I'll take a Norstinko before an NEA.

Buddy of mine had the NEA LE deal (DMR Version) and 1500 rounds the bolt sheared. Yes they replaced the the part, but really 1500 rounds.

Another friend had his go at 2500 rounds. I would go for a Colt or DD AR. Spend the extra cash. I currently run a DDV5, with my reloads at 100m I'm getting a .9 moa (Prone position Bipod, 5 round grouping hot barrel) and .7 moa with a cold barrel. SMK 69gr 25 gr of varget.
prior to my reloads, using factory ammo I was getting 1.5" groupings. No stoppages with my rifle and its been 2 years now.

my .02


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: SemrushBot and 2 guests