NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:49 am

Hello,

I'm considering a NEA 15 or a S&W M&P 15 Sport (goes nicely with my M&P9 :P) for my first AR15. Would love the Diemaco SA15.7 but can't afford it...

I've tried to find information regarding NEA on CGN and Google, but haven't been able to find out too much about them. CGN members don't seem to keen on NEA, but I won't get into that here.

Does anyone have personal experience with NEA AR15s? Please chime in or PM me.

NEA15 Likes:
-Based in Ontario and all rifles are made/assembled in Canada
-Seem to have a good following in New Zealand and South Africa
-Price is within my budget
-They have 30 years in the aerospace industry, hopefully this translates to quality fit and finish
-Eligible for their Individual Officer Purchase Program
-Lifetime Warranty
-Magnetic Particle Inspected

M&P15 Likes:
-Big fan of S&W
-Price is within my budget
-Cheaper than the NEA
-Looks good with my M&P9

Thanks in advance.

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5307
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:31 am

NEA is the better of the two by leaps and bounds.

S&W is poor. Yes they run however there is no quality control over the parts from batch to batch.

You get what you pay for.

NEA you can call and talk to someone if there is an issue.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

User avatar
Lights
Grand Poobah
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Lights » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:49 pm

A.T.R. wrote:NEA is the better of the two by leaps and bounds.

S&W is poor. Yes they run however there is no quality control over the parts from batch to batch.

You get what you pay for.

NEA you can call and talk to someone if there is an issue.

Advice from the AR god.

I'm looking at an NEA right now. Just budgeting lol
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:50 pm

A.T.R. wrote:NEA is the better of the two by leaps and bounds.

S&W is poor. Yes they run however there is no quality control over the parts from batch to batch.

You get what you pay for.

NEA you can call and talk to someone if there is an issue.
Thanks, I really want to get the NEA, some of the CGN info put me off a bit. Most say their QC issues were early on, and they've mostly squared things away now. I hope more members here will have positive things to say. It is nice to have the company literally an hour away if there are warranty issues.

This is the first time, I've heard of S&W having QC issues. The sport is their budget level AR offering, so you're right. Buy once, cry once.

I've been told "irunguns" is bringing in some reasonably priced ARs.

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:53 pm

Lights wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:NEA is the better of the two by leaps and bounds.

S&W is poor. Yes they run however there is no quality control over the parts from batch to batch.

You get what you pay for.

NEA you can call and talk to someone if there is an issue.

Advice from the AR god.

I'm looking at an NEA right now. Just budgeting lol
Ha, based on other threads here, A.T.R. seems to be the resident expert on all things AR :thumbsup:

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5307
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby A.T.R. » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:02 pm

Remember all companies started off small like NEA is now and had their failures and issues.

I have many acquaintences, friends, co workers who compete with them.

No issues at all. Never any failures unless it is ammo or user.

My Daughter will be running an NEA 10.5.


DPMS. S&W. Core15. They have failures all the time at matches.

If you can budget it, purchase a Troy Industries Canadian model rifle.

7.5, 10.5, 14.5, 16.5 lengths.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:34 pm

A.T.R. wrote:Remember all companies started off small like NEA is now and had their failures and issues.

I have many acquaintences, friends, co workers who compete with them.

No issues at all. Never any failures unless it is ammo or user.

My Daughter will be running an NEA 10.5.


DPMS. S&W. Core15. They have failures all the time at matches.

If you can budget it, purchase a Troy Industries Canadian model rifle.

7.5, 10.5, 14.5, 16.5 lengths.
True enough, I've witnessed numerous phase one or phase two stoppages, and the operators are very quick to blame the firearm. I'd hazard to guess that 9 times out of 10, it's operator error.

I'm pleased to hear that you have had good experiences with NEA, and very cool that your daughter is into the sport. I'm expecting a little girl in January and hope she will one day share in Dad's hobbies :pistols: :sniper:

I'll look into the Troy Industries. I know it's hard to give an opinion without more information, but generally which barrel length would be appropriate for a first time AR owner. I don't imagine I will be shooting beyond 200 yards. Not into 3 gun or competition shooting, mostly for recreational shooting. I would like to shoot strictly irons initially, and when I've mastered that, move into some sort of optic.

Was looking at 12.5" or 14.5", anything shorter seems to be a compromise. For a first timer, is the 14.5" the best "all around" length?

Thanks

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby FedCO » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 am

M&P9 wrote:
A.T.R. wrote:Remember all companies started off small like NEA is now and had their failures and issues.

I have many acquaintences, friends, co workers who compete with them.

No issues at all. Never any failures unless it is ammo or user.

My Daughter will be running an NEA 10.5.


DPMS. S&W. Core15. They have failures all the time at matches.

If you can budget it, purchase a Troy Industries Canadian model rifle.

7.5, 10.5, 14.5, 16.5 lengths.
True enough, I've witnessed numerous phase one or phase two stoppages, and the operators are very quick to blame the firearm. I'd hazard to guess that 9 times out of 10, it's operator error.

I'm pleased to hear that you have had good experiences with NEA, and very cool that your daughter is into the sport. I'm expecting a little girl in January and hope she will one day share in Dad's hobbies :pistols: :sniper:

I'll look into the Troy Industries. I know it's hard to give an opinion without more information, but generally which barrel length would be appropriate for a first time AR owner. I don't imagine I will be shooting beyond 200 yards. Not into 3 gun or competition shooting, mostly for recreational shooting. I would like to shoot strictly irons initially, and when I've mastered that, move into some sort of optic.

Was looking at 12.5" or 14.5", anything shorter seems to be a compromise. For a first timer, is the 14.5" the best "all around" length?

Thanks
I would say 16in or 14.5 are the best. You will want the 16in and US made or meets ITAR if you want to bring the rifle to USA for competitions. I run a 16in custom built on a troy barrel. Love the thing to death, its sweet.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

User avatar
Tinman
Lord of the Poobahs
Posts: 1251
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2003 2:06 pm
Location: Ontario

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Tinman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:25 am

M&P9 wrote: Was looking at 12.5" or 14.5", anything shorter seems to be a compromise. For a first timer, is the 14.5" the best "all around" length?

Thanks
In regards to AR barrel length, have a read of this article, it's fairly interesting to note that once you get below 14.5" you start to make some not insignificant compromises.

http://www.sadefensejournal.com/wp/?p=1093
Say what you mean. Do what you say.

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:51 pm

Wow, that's a thorough experiment. Good read, some of it was over my head :shock:
Will stay at or above 12.5".

I don't plan on competing in the US, so I won't have to worry about SBR issues. I'm leaning towards NEA 15 14.5" now.

Side note, I just got the Colt Canada price schedule, still more than I'd like to spend. Irunguns has been bringing in the Colt LE6920 for around $1300 after all the fees and shipping etc. I think he offers $200 off for LEO's, not sure if that's still ongoing.

FedCo, I just read your AR build thread. Awesome :thumbsup:

User avatar
Lights
Grand Poobah
Posts: 841
Joined: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Lights » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:11 pm

Cant go wrong with Spikes tactical either.
“No matter what happens, I simply refuse to lose. To me, it’s really that simple.

I approach anything thought to be difficult with an attitude of “I’ll do this or die trying.” U.S NAVY SEAL.

POLICE OFFICER

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 5307
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:20 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:12 pm

I have three spikes.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

User avatar
Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah
Posts: 7891
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:24 pm
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby Striker » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:11 pm

My first ar was a Colt Sporter..had to replace the factor hammer because of quality control issues. It would double tap.
My current ar is a franken gun and it runs like a champ. My next one will be a build..that way I have control over what parts go in it.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

M&P9
Rookie Member
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:06 am

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby M&P9 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:29 pm

Anyone have experience with Windham Weaponry? They're former Bushmaster employees, that were laid off by Freedom Group when they moved the plant to Upstate NY. The former owner of Bushmaster, reopened the plant after his 5 year no compete clause expired and started Windham Weaponry. Apparently, 95% of the workers are former Bushmaster.

I've decided to ditch the MP15, and go with either WW15 or NEA 15. I want to keep it between $950-1050 inclusive of taxes. I still want to buy BUIS (WW15 comes with diamondhead rear flip up sights and standard A2 front post, NEA15 is flat top, optics ready) P-mags and maybe 2000 rounds of .223.

User avatar
FedCO
Poobah Overlord
Posts: 2860
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:06 am
Location: Ontario,Canada

Re: NEA15 or M&P15 ?

Postby FedCO » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:01 pm

M&P9 wrote:Anyone have experience with Windham Weaponry? They're former Bushmaster employees, that were laid off by Freedom Group when they moved the plant to Upstate NY. The former owner of Bushmaster, reopened the plant after his 5 year no compete clause expired and started Windham Weaponry. Apparently, 95% of the workers are former Bushmaster.

I've decided to ditch the MP15, and go with either WW15 or NEA 15. I want to keep it between $950-1050 inclusive of taxes. I still want to buy BUIS (WW15 comes with diamondhead rear flip up sights and standard A2 front post, NEA15 is flat top, optics ready) P-mags and maybe 2000 rounds of .223.
Solid firearm the Windham is! Life time warranty and the original cast of gunsmiths who made Bushmaster the ones to own.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONjoUxdLrZ4


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AhrefsBot and 1 guest