Smith and Wesson IOP style program?

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Smith and Wesson IOP style program?

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:09 pm

Does anyone know if Smith and Wesson has an Individual Officer Purchase program like Glock?

Thinking about getting an M&P9 and would like to not pay retail if I can get it cheaper.

Thanks!

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Re: Smith and Wesson IOP style program?

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:17 pm

No.

They do not.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:07 pm

Well shit.

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:47 am

Punisher-One wrote:Well shit.
Check out Jo Brook Outdoors out of Manitoba. 10% LEO discount, and if you're out of province, no PST. They'll mail it right to you. They're slow to respond to emails, but they're good guys as far as I can tell. Wanstalls online here in BC has the range kit for $649, which is a smoking deal IMO.

Let me know what you think of the Smith if you get one. I think the department should go to the M&P9, TBH.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:33 am

Longarm9 wrote: Let me know what you think of the Smith if you get one. I think the department should go to the M&P9, TBH.
I agree with you but when you are getting PX4s at $198ea no other company will match that price.

My pistol sits in a locker most days and I already need a new magazine due to FTFs on the course of fire.

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 pm

Punisher-One wrote:
Longarm9 wrote: Let me know what you think of the Smith if you get one. I think the department should go to the M&P9, TBH.
I agree with you but when you are getting PX4s at $198ea no other company will match that price.

My pistol sits in a locker most days and I already need a new magazine due to FTFs on the course of fire.
Holy crap, CBSA is only paying $198 per gun for these things? Well, it's obvious what the determining factor for choosing the PX4 was.

The magazines are crap, IMHO. As long as you feed it good magazines, the pistol seems to run quite well. The trigger on the PX4 is absolute garbage. Might as well have used a rusty door hinge. Other than the mag problems and the horrible, horrible trigger, the pistol itself doesn't seem terrible. I still say the M&P would be a far better choice.
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:59 pm

It's too bad they didn't buy glock
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Punisher-One
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:07 pm

I actually will never buy a Glock again. The ergonomics on them just plain suck. I actually like the ergonomics and the shooting of the PX4. It is just so cheaply manufactured and the quality control is so bad that it has issues.

The M&P has much better ergonomics than the Glock and they've ironed out the issues they have had with them quite well. Most recent reviews of the M&P series are all very positive.

RGW
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RGW » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:24 am

You might need to change your avatar then :D

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:17 am

Or somehow get to the gym and work on getting man hands.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:17 am

A.T.R. wrote:Or somehow get to the gym and work on getting man hands.
LOL. Glocks have the worst ergos ever. Its a 2x4. But they never fail!

FedCO
Poobah Overlord

Postby FedCO » Sat Oct 04, 2014 9:18 am

Punisher-One wrote:

You guys should of just gotten HK P2000 like we did. Would of been smart and cheaper. Plus CBP uses HK P2000. Its a nice firearm.

Longarm9
King Poobah

Postby Longarm9 » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:08 am

FedCO wrote:You guys should of just gotten HK P2000 like we did. Would of been smart and cheaper. Plus CBP uses HK P2000. Its a nice firearm.
That would have been a good, sensible choice. That's why they would never do it :P

The trigger on the PX4 is an absolute abomination. Total piece of garbage. If they went to a 5 to 5.5lb trigger, everyone's scores would instantly jump 10 points at least, I bet. But when you have some desk bound beaurocratic weenie in Ottawa deciding what gun a frontline officer should carry...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:40 am

Longarm9 wrote: when you have some desk bound beaurocratic weenie in Ottawa deciding what gun a frontline officer should carry...
That's not quite how it happened. Those desk-bound weenies listened to advice from another agency that was based on political payback for past mistakes, plus an intense desire to select a make that the agency who recommended the choice would never be called upon to maintain or repair.

Quality of the firearm was never considered.

When Blue Line appeared before the standing committee on national security in Ottawa before the arming initiative was approved, we had a complete breakdown of all the makes used in Canada, plus a breakdown in the trends as to who was gaining market share (Glock, Sig) and who was losing market share. (Beretta.) We also had the reasons why five agencies had dropped Beretta for another make in between our two major cross-Canada surveys. (Quality-control, and inability to supply spare parts.)

There is a reason why CBSA issues a brand-new handgun to every armed officer every three years, when every other agency in North America issues a gun designed to last the career of the officer.

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Sun Oct 05, 2014 2:49 pm

Dave Brown wrote:There is a reason why CBSA issues a brand-new handgun to every armed officer every three years, when every other agency in North America issues a gun designed to last the career of the officer.
It is sad that it's considered cheaper to buy a new gun that (barely) meets the minimum standard every three years than to get one that does the job well for a couple decades.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"