Practical/Tactical Glocks

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Practical/Tactical Glocks

Postby shootermcgavin » Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:57 am

So I found myself doing some research on the Glock longslide practical/tactical models and was liking what I was reading. Was looking originally for a G34(9mm 5.3") for police duty competition when I came across the G35 model(40 S+W) in the same configuration for a price that I just could not pass up so I ended up buying it. 2 weeks later guess what drops into my lap, a G34 so I ended up buying that one too. So far I have only had the 9mm out to the range and on the first attempt with Blazer 115 FMJ was able to print a 3" group at 25 using a right hand barricade for support with those crappy Glock adjustable sights. Needless to say I am really impressed with this gun. With some practice on that trigger and a little ammo fine tuning, I am sure that those groups can be shrunk significantly.
PIcked up a Serpa 3 holster also for them. Looks really cool with the barrel poking out about Half inch or so. Here is a picture of the twins relaxing on the couch at home :alright:

Last edited by shootermcgavin on Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SierraSeven
Poobah Overlord

Re: Practical/Tactical Glocks

Postby SierraSeven » Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:50 pm

Curious, why not go with a Safariland ALS/SLS holster as opposed to the Serpa? Particularly for competition use where speed is of the essence, wouldn't you want something that doesn't require such fine motor skills as precisely positioning your index finger?
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:09 pm

Went with the Serpa model for 2 reasons. Safariland Als 6360 series which I looked into was significantly more money than the Serpa and actually after handling both, I find the Serpa to be a faster draw. This was bought for police duty class competition in PPC and not for actual police day to day carry and is the holster of choice that was recommended by the top competitors in the discipline. AlS holster is definitely a nice piece of kit and the one I would choose for work if I was employed as a police officer(less bulky). The police duty course of fire in PPC requires a true level 2 or better holster which most level 2's are not and there is reasonable time to draw and fire the required rounds so these holsters work just fine.

SierraSeven
Poobah Overlord

Postby SierraSeven » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:20 am

I find it interesting that the Serpa is the recommended holster, particularly when it is marginally less expensive than an ALS model Safariland.

Anyways, enjoy the pistol shooting.
While you are reading this, your enemy is training.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:06 am

U shooting the bridgewater?
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Should be there. Going to try out the 9mm. Getting back to the Safariland ALS, it was actually a fair bit more money than what I paid for the Serpa and I just plain liked it better. Finding an ALS for the G17/22 is one thing but the longer barrel G34/35 is something else. Looked over the 6360 and it did not look like the regular one would work and then by the time I get one to my door, it all ads up. Serpa 3 for just over $100+Tax's is pretty tough to beat-at least I am happy with the deal I got.

echo1
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby echo1 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:52 pm

If anyone is looking I picked up a Safariland ALS/SLS (same as my duty holster) from Copsplus.com for $107.66 plus shipping.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:25 pm

Will be at the bridgewater
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.