CBSA Firearms

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Flagger409
Rookie Member

CBSA Firearms

Postby Flagger409 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:36 pm

What sidearm are the CBSA folks assigned? :pistols:

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Re: CBSA Firearms

Postby Respond Wayne » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:22 pm

This is information that should not be discussed... unless it already has been >>> SOMEWHERE ELSE <<< :smirk:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:33 pm

I dont think they carry when doing airport security.
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:42 am

Why would you care?

Every police agency in Canada issues a double-action-only (DAO) pistol in either .40 S&W or 9mm Luger that will go bang when you need it to. Every agency properly trains their members on said pistol.

Are you going to 'pick' the agency you want to apply to based on the pistol they issue? If so, you have been reading too much on the internet. There are differences but they are all reasonable quality guns from top-name manufacturers. Again, they all go bang when you need them.

Are you wanting to buy your own pistol that matches the one you are applying for so you can 'practice' for your future profession? That is not just creepy, it is seriously wrong. You will just end up practicing bad habits and could make you seem like a smart ass that requires a lot of "untraining" before they can start training ... meaning to a smart recruiter, you will be a liability before you have even started.

Are you a member of CBSA and looking to practice on your own before you are issued a sidearm? Well, first of all, you should already know the sidearm they will be issuing. Secondly, let them train you FIRST. Thirdly, trigger time is trigger time; you don't need to get the same pistol. Get one you like to shoot.

And if our posts seem particularly unhelpful, just remember from our perspective that this is one of the dumbest questions we have had this week, and is easily answered with a five-second search on this forum or a one-second search on the web.

So the bottom line is that if you want to be a police officer some day, your search skills are sorely lacking.

If you don't want to be a police officer some day, you don't need to know.

Flagger409
Rookie Member

Postby Flagger409 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:53 am

LoL Chill out. Considering your reply. I think maybe, you should take a vacation. Wow. You have no idea. I thought this was an intelligent forum. Dude or Dudette I hope I don't have to read about you in the papers.

:swords:

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Dec 04, 2013 2:09 am

Really? You want to be a law enforcement officer and you can't take some ribbing and sarcasm?

Think about it. It is a dumb question, that you could have answered for yourself in five seconds and not exposed yourself to us picking on you.

Better get a thicker skin or consider a different line of work!

Besides, if you read beyond the ribbing and sarcasm, I actually gave you some excellent advice. Police agencies do not want to untrain bad habits before they can train the good ones, so it is not an advantage to buy a pistol and start practicing before you learn the skills they want you to have and, just as important, learn the reasons WHY they want you to have those skills.

In fact, in many cases, it can make one less desirable as a candidate than one who maybe took the CFSC and CRFSC and left it at that, expecting to be a sponge during police college.

Relax dude. You can get all huffy and worked up, or you can take what I (and many many others in this forum) give as good advice.

And, by the way ... you can already read about me in the papers. I am in Blue Line Law Enforcement Magazine every month. Look in the masthead - it is under "Tactical Firearms Editor." Now I may have been able to fool my publisher once or twice that I know what I am talking about, but not likely fool him (he is a VERY smart man) every year since 1998.

Oh yeah, and I was once invited to Ottawa to address the standing committee on national security at the House of Commons on arming CBSA, so even those folks thought I knew what I was talking about.

Flagger409
Rookie Member

Postby Flagger409 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:05 am

Ok Thanks Dave. px4 be. :wave:

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:09 am

A.T.R. wrote:I dont think they carry when doing airport security.

LOL! I love it.

I am going to get my gun in the new year.....when I return to my work location I get to lock it up at an office 25 minutes away and never see it again for my career except for once a year for practice shoots and requal! YAY! :banghead:

A.T.R.
King Poobah

Postby A.T.R. » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:06 pm

If I want on with CBSA would it help if I bought the same one and practiced?
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:30 pm

A.T.R. wrote:If I want on with CBSA would it help if I bought the same one and practiced?

Definitely. Buy one and lock it up someplace. Once a year take it out and shoot at stuff.

Punisher-One
Poobah Overlord

Postby Punisher-One » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:12 pm

A.T.R. wrote:If I want on with CBSA would it help if I bought the same one and practiced?

Yes absolutely. You can practice locking it up in a lock box and then removing it from the lock box.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:33 pm

'How come nobody asks what kind of baton or rubber gloves the CBSA uses...?

I noticed when coming back across the border last week that the CBSA guy was wearing black Nitrile gloves... Way more "tactical" than the blue ones we use in corrections...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

GoodWitness
Rookie Member

Postby GoodWitness » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Bitterman wrote:'How come nobody asks what kind of baton or rubber gloves the CBSA uses...?

I noticed when coming back across the border last week that the CBSA guy was wearing black Nitrile gloves... Way more "tactical" than the blue ones we use in corrections...

Definitely harder to see "stuff" on, that's for sure.
Check out these bad boys.
Reminds me of those "day of the week" panties that I remember my GF wearing in high school. Like a sell-by date for underwear, so to speak.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:53 pm

GoodWitness wrote:
Bitterman wrote:'How come nobody asks what kind of baton or rubber gloves the CBSA uses...?

Definitely harder to see "stuff" on, that's for sure.
Check out these bad boys.
Reminds me of those "day of the week" panties that I remember my GF wearing in high school. Like a sell-by date for underwear, so to speak.

Sweet!
I wonder... 'How are they for pulling over your head and inflating for the mohawk rooster comb effect?
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

HiPowered
Veteran Member

Postby HiPowered » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:35 pm

Dave Brown wrote:Every agency properly trains their members on said pistol.

Are you going to 'pick' the agency you want to apply to based on the pistol they issue? If so, you have been reading too much on the internet. There are differences but they are all reasonable quality guns from top-name manufacturers. Again, they all go bang when you need them.

Are you wanting to buy your own pistol that matches the one you are applying for so you can 'practice' for your future profession? That is not just creepy, it is seriously wrong. You will just end up practicing bad habits and could make you seem like a smart ass that requires a lot of "untraining" before they can start training ... meaning to a smart recruiter, you will be a liability before you have even started.

Are you a member of CBSA and looking to practice on your own before you are issued a sidearm? Well, first of all, you should already know the sidearm they will be issuing. Secondly, let them train you FIRST. Thirdly, trigger time is trigger time; you don't need to get the same pistol. Get one you like to shoot.

Dave, I have some questions on what you've posted here. I know you say that every agency properly trains their members on their pistol, but I have to ask - do you mean they're properly trained on the basics of marksmanship, or do you include more advanced parts of firearms training like movement, use of cover, and shooting from common scenarios (inside a vehicle, behind a desk, from a chair, from the ground, etc)?

I'm also curious about your position on using a different personal firearm for practise (and fun) at home. Do you have concerns about building contrary muscle memory on controls? I wouldn't want to spend most of my time practising with a 1911 and end up stroking a non-existent safety during my draw with my Glock. Fortunately with DAO service pistols it's less of an issue for duty than an DA or SAO, but I'd still rather train with a pistol that's configured in the same way as my duty pistol.