From the Book of Dave Brown

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

A.T.R.
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

From the Book of Dave Brown

Postby A.T.R. » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:31 pm

I finally found a retailer just by chance while shopping who had in stock the Hogue 870 Short LOP stock and forend set.

Installed today and I have to say what a difference. I had a short LOP set from Remington before as well as a Youth set, but I found they were lacking.

Dave Brown always renews my love for 870's when he brings up the topic, and when I saw the set on the rack I thought "Dave would approve."

My 870 swings better, points better, and feels more solid as there is not as much of a void in the stock hollow area.

I have the new 870 Tactical, which is the one piece mag tube extension, and the forend makes it look superior to before.

The shorter LOP is good for me due to my back (on duty car accidents), disc #T7 to be exact, so I am not reaching as far or extendingwhen cycling the beast.

I gotta get Wayne to come by to take photos for me.

Things like this still make me feel that for up close and personal work, the shotgun is a formidable firearm for street and CQB use.

I want to get another of the new 870 Tactical models but install a MESA Urbino stock.

Thanks for the ideas Dave!
If you do not have access to the private side please do not contact me. I do not give employment advice other than what is publicly posted.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: From the Book of Dave Brown

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:40 am

Good choice. I approve.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:59 am

A.T.R. wrote: Things like this still make me feel that for up close and personal work, the shotgun is a formidable firearm for street and CQB use.

Thanks for the ideas Dave!
I concur..and I'm not Dave Brown.
I have the Knoxx Spec Ops stock on my Marine Magnum..love it.
I have wingmaster wood on my Dominion Arms Grizzly..it gives it a bit of class.
"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:21 pm

I tried a Knoxx stock but could never get comfortable with the darn thing. Plus, that thin point of fibreglass behind the receiver always made me nervous.

My training 870s all wear Hogue stock and forends, and XS Big Dot sights, for true 100% all-weather shotguns.

I lots of travel up north and the one that stays with me in bear country is my 870 Police with the Mesa Tactical Urbino stock and a 14" barrel.

When I got the Urbino stock, I was worried that the length-of-pull would be too short for my long arms and my shooting style, and it would bop me in the nose with every shot. (I don't use the more trendy squared stance with a shotgun. I rely on the instinctive traditional shotgun stance.)

But the combination of Urbino stock and 14" barrel is nice to shoot, swings fast and still has the ability to put 4 slugs through the same hole at 25 yards.

Plus, I can send a photo of my 14-inch barreled 870 Police to my American friends just to make them jealous!

Sk82
Sage Member

Postby Sk82 » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Pics or ban!

I got a 870 Black Ops Spec II which is a blackhawk pistol grip stock. I somewhat prefer a regular stock to the pistol grip, but love the looks of the Houge stock.
Police Constable

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:17 pm

Here is my marine magnum and my grizz before the wingmaster wood.

Dave..it took me a bit to get used to the stock but I love it now. I'm trying to get them on our scale of issue at work..
Here is the grizz with the wingmaster wood beside a friends 870 with a Dlask barrel.

"I come in peace. I didn’t bring artillery. But I’m pleading with you, with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I’ll kill you all."

Respond Wayne
Public Forum Moderator

Postby Respond Wayne » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:51 pm

A.T.R. wrote:I gotta get Wayne to come by to take photos for me.
I was about to PM you when I saw "***If you do not have access to the LEO or Police side of the forum, do not PM me on this forum.***" in your signature...

Huh, not good enough for us common folk any longer I see... Well it's a good thing you don't mention anything about not coming to your home... :thumbsup:
LIVE IN THE PEEL REGION AREA?
VOLUNTEERS WANTED!
>>> RSAR.CA <<<

***FREE Standard First Aid & Level "C" CPR Courses Offered To New Members***
(A minimum commitment to the group will be required before certificates are issued)

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:26 pm

The 870 Marine Magnum is one of the most popular shotguns in polar bear country. It is built on an 870 Express, but all the parts inside and out are coated with electroless nickel finish (in standard Marine Magnum models) or black Trynite finish (in the XCS model.) With some judicious polishing, it can be just as reliable as an 870 Police.

Most Marine Magnum models have already come with the machined extractor, instead of the moulded metal (MIM) extractor of the Express models. The Marine Magnum is one of the best shotguns Remington has ever made - next to the 870 Police of course - and the models have varied a bit over the years. Earlier versions had an 18" barrel, but later ones have the 18.5" barrel that fits flush with the front face of the magazine extension.

Remington also made a rare 870 Police Marine Magnum, which can be recognized by the standard electroless nickel finish and rifle sights. The XCS remains the rarest model however, only being made for about two years. (I suspect it was because the finish was expensive and needed to be applied exactly right or it would tend to chip off a bit out near the muzzle.)

While preferences vary, it is important to note what I feel is important, such as good clear sights and high-visibility followers. It is also important to note what I DON'T consider is important:
- rails
- heat shields (shudder)
- vertical grip forends
- "tactical" breacher chokes
- jumbo safeties
- box magazines
- BUIS.

Then comes the items that may or may not be necessary, depending on the mission. (Always let the mission dictate the equipment.) The following can be essential in some circumstances but can also seriously get in the way when not needed:
- slings
- lights
- spare shell carriers.

The best accessory one can buy for a brand new shotgun is two cases of shotshells and a couple of days at the range.

RGW
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby RGW » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:49 am

Dave - I had to buy a chinese 12.5" barrel when the dlask one I previously tried had fail to fires on my receiver (weird I know). My barrel currently only has a bead with no pedestal. Is there a XS big dot available that comes with a pedestal of sufficient height for a short barrel or would I just have my gunsmith source a pedestal for installation with the big dot?

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:17 am

Yes, I remember the situation with your barrel. Very unusual, but it could happen.

And XS makes a Big Dot sight specifically for a plain bead (as well as a vent rib and a Remington pedestal barrel.)

http://xssights.com/index.php?nID=sight ... ID=shotgun

Check near the bottom of the page. As long as the front bead is close to the dimensions of a Remington bead (.125" to .140") it should fit.

You don't remove the front sight; you bond the XS directly over the top of the existing bead (or bead and pedestal.) Use JB Weld, and it will be permanent.

The height of the Big Dot is close to the original height of the bead, so if your shotgun shoots to point of aim right now, you will be fine. Most of the point-of-impact problems in my experience are from the shooter, not the shotgun. You need to get your eye behind the sight, with your cheek resting on the stock. (Hence the name "cheekpiece.") When you are properly sighting, you should see no barrel in your vision; only the bead resting on top of the receiver.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:48 am

Dave..I noticed you left out bayonet on your list of things not needed on a shotgun. Is it safe to assume you condone the use of them on defensive shotguns? :smirk:

Homer
Sage Member

Postby Homer » Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:26 pm

The problem is, hanging a bayonet off the end of the barrel changes the aim. In a defense situation, you don't want to be thinking "Do I have the bayonet fixed? Do I aim for point of impact, or do I need to aim high?" Of course, if you always train with bayonet fixed, it's not an issue.
"They have the Internet on computers now!"

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:15 pm

The Book of Dave Brown is constantly evolving. The older I get, the less crap I want hanging off my shotguns, and the less I want to become some kind of "operator" by trying to turn a shotgun into a carbine by squaring the stance and adding a bunch of accessories. I just want to keep people alive.

If you check out the December 2014 issue, I test a variety of shotgun stocks back-to-back, in order to see which ones are all hype and which ones actually perform better. The factory full-stock is still the fastest and easiest to shoot of any stock on the market. I also test the Hogue overmold stock, the Mesa Urbino, the Speedfeed full stock and the Mesa Tactical LEO AR-stock adapter. (The AR-stock adapter with a 14-inch barrel is the configuration that TPS is looking at to fit better in their patrol car racks that have already been adapted to the patrol carbine.)

I also recently made my first foray into Mossberg, with a 14-inch barrel 590A1, configured exactly the way I like it: no ghost rings, no heat shield, no bayonet lug and no neon mudflaps. A couple of quick modifications to shorten the length of pull slightly, an XS Big Dot sight bonded over the factory bead, custom polishing of some action parts and a case of shotgun shells and it is good to go.

Striker
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Striker » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:04 pm

What are your concerns with the spec ops stock? Mine is an original from Knox...not Blackhawk and although it hasn't been in combat or on the street..it has hundreds of rounds through the shotgun with zero problems.
I can't believe you choose a 590 over this...

It is ahead of it's time.. :dubious:

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:21 am

I could never get used to the feel of the Knoxx Spec Ops stock. It is a fine stock for people who like them. There is nothing wrong with it. It is just not what I would recommend for combat or duty use. (I have seen what they look like when they fracture or the spring breaks. Those failures are rare, but if you look at the design, you can see the stress points where you are trusting a LOT in the quality of the spring or the quality of the polymer.) I would no more recommend that to police officers for duty use than I would a polymer lower for ARs.

I ended up donating my Knoxx to a worthy cause, so I hope it found a good home.

As for the Chainsaw, it just doesn't have enough rail space for me.