Guns, an investment.

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Guns, an investment.

Postby Tony-Boogie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:23 am

So here's the skinny. I currently have 2 nr firearms and would like to expand my collection, the stopper being 9er domestic(wife).

To you witty and linguistic trollers of the blueline forum, what are some good "sales pitches" that would convince the wifer that more guns are better. Humour is encouraged.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Guns, an investment.

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:59 pm

Rule #1 - Don't use "man" rules to convince women. "One can go a lot farther in this world with a kind word and a gun than one can go with just a kind word" just doesn't cut it. It makes perfect sense to the male of the species but not to women. (Darn it.)

Rule #2 - When you first get married, get a BIG gun cabinet and fill it with a whole bunch of cheap guns. When you buy one, sell another. If you really want to make points, tell her you sold three guns and replaced them all with one new one. (Of course, one sells two Cooeys and a Mossberg and buys an LMT M4.)

Rule #3 - Never lie to the wife. Always be honest. Develop that sheepish look when you honestly admit that you bought a new scope for your rifle because it was such a great deal and you couldn't pass it up. Plus, you have been looking for that exact scope for years and years, and you finally found one at a great price. The secret is to never lie. One sometimes forgets to tell her about the fact that the rifle is new too ... but, hey, if she didn't ask, it's not your fault.

Rule #4 - You can't win. It is always your fault. They know all the above rules. (They buy shoes.)

Tony-Boogie
Rookie Member

Postby Tony-Boogie » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:20 pm

Dave Sir,

Excellent wisdom, I shall reflect on it during those brief moments in time when I let my brain act before my mouth.

Oh the knowledge base I have found here.
He said I was a POG, I said he's resisting arrest...

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:03 am

Easier to beg forgiveness than get permission...

Of course.. If you need to "ask" permission from your wife to do stuff... You don't really have a wife.. What you have there is a mother.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:34 pm

Tell her the new gun you bought is "for her"...that you want her to come shooting with you so you needed another AR15, etc. Worked for me, three times.
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

9ersix
Rookie Member

Postby 9ersix » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:36 am

shootemup wrote:Tell her the new gun you bought is "for her"...that you want her to come shooting with you so you needed another AR15, etc. Worked for me, three times.

Same.

Honesty is the best policy.

RGW
Grand Poobah

Postby RGW » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:46 pm

I like the advance notice approach...tell her months in advance what you are going to buy, then, when the time comes its no surprise. Then you've already "talked" about it.

Teaching the firearms safety course and other courses helps too. Some day I gotta get that mosin disabled so I can put it into my stable of teaching guns....someday...

shootemup
Sage Member

Postby shootemup » Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:27 pm

have you checked her closet lately? Maybe you "think" it worked for you!

Some truth in that: "But honey, the shoes were on sale!"
Jackbooted Cig Enforcer

SlyCat
Rookie Member

Postby SlyCat » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Tony-Boogie wrote:that would convince the wifer that more guns are better.

Sorry but the more guns the better don't quite cut it. Look at the USA - bunch of gun totting nuts.

I've worked with guns my entire life - military, armoured truck, etc. - and found that the guys with the more guns are trying to compensate for something... coming from a woman's frame of mind who has a evaluated target accuracy of 96% pistol [including "live" simulation] and 91% shotgun. Having more guns isn't going to make you a better shot when the break & enter is going on.

Instead of trying to buy another gun how about you sell the two others if they are useless - not as interesting any more - and get something of a better quality.

If you want to try and persuade her then get her involved. Have her take the firearms safety test, go to the shooting range, etc. Approach it on the aspect of the gun being for her safety instead of another toy for you.
At 12 I was understanding case law
By 19 worked security at "mall from hell" as per cops.
By 20, I could detail strip a Colt C7 in under 2.5 min.
By 22 Working with the criminally insane
My accuracy with firearms is 96% pistol, 91% shotgun.

Mr. Islander
Seasoned Member

Postby Mr. Islander » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Last edited by Mr. Islander on Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tango5
Rookie Member

Postby Tango5 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:12 pm

But.. can still read and must be boiling by now. :smirk:
... For the Grammar Police, get off my back, I wasn't born here.

Longarm9
Lord of the Poobahs

Postby Longarm9 » Wed May 15, 2013 11:49 am

Or you can be like me and marry the girl you met in the army!

Last night at dinner my wife is like, "Hon, can we please try to save up to buy an AR before they become illegal? I really want one!"

I love my wife :D
"Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing." -John Stuart Mill