reloading pistol ammo

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.
shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Re: reloading pistol ammo

Postby shootermcgavin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 pm

Nah, I just hate recoil-lol.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am

Agree with everything, especially about Federal primers. CCIs are too hard, especially with well-built PPC revolvers with tuned DAO triggers and rubber trigger stops. They can be shooting machines with the right ammunition.

Many PPC shooters switched from Bullseye to Hodgon Clays powder in recent years because it burns much MUCH cleaner than Bullseye. Clays leaves little residue and, most important, far fewer flakes of unburned gunpowder.

(Anyone who says revolvers are far more reliable than semi-automatics has never gotten one TINY flake of unburned gunpowder under the ejector star; a move almost guaranteed to change your trigger pull from a smooth 4 pounds to a gritty and jerky 50 pounds - if you can get it back at all.)

My favorite load of 2.7 grains of Clays powder behind a 145 grain SWC, and 2.5 grains behind a 148 HBWC won me a lot of trophies over the years ... shooting a tuned S&W 686 with essentially a stock barrel, add-on barrel weight and an aftermarket sight rib (and one screw missing from the four-way adjustable rear sight that i never got around to either replacing or needing.)

I was also the only shooter on the line who never used a shooting mat at the 50 yard line.

They used to rib me about the shooting mat which doesn't seem all that bright when I look at all the scars from laying on hot empty casings over the years. "Lay down and shoot like a man!" was always my response, until they pointed out that most of the women shooters had beaten me, some of the juniors and I think even a guest sponsor or two on sponsor night had beaten me too.

But I did have a lot of fun with some really great folks over the years.

Bitterman
Rookie Member

Postby Bitterman » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:48 pm

PPC is a gateway drug... Uh, I mean shooting sport. :mrgreen:

It's where I started in competitive shooting...

Ahhhh... Those were the days.
Three revolvers, one type of ammo... Nice slow methodical shootin'.

Fast forwards a few years and now I'm I stung out junkie shootin' three-gun ( http://3gunnation.com/ ) all over the friggin' North America.

'Still have one tricked out model 15 sleeping in the safe... 'Enough components stashed to load enough ammo to sink a ship... 'Maybe I'll get back to it.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:19 pm

I have competed in a good number of shooting sports (IPSC, NRA Action pistol, PPC) and dabbled in a few others like combat shotgun etc. I am only getting back into competitive shooting after a 16yr leave of absence. After trying all of the above mentioned disciplines, I find myself being drawn back into PPC. I think the attraction of it is that you get a lot of trigger time in a match, usually shoot both revolvers and semi auto's in a variety of positions and quite frankly, I personally find it the most challenging( my opinion only). Very humbling trying to shoot left handed with open sights at 50yrds accurately no matter how much time one gets.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:11 pm

i love shooting ppc its a blast and a challenging sport
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 pm

So to reload 9 mm i need the factory crimp die ?
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:44 am

Usually the factory crimp die is a roll crimp, so you will need an additional taper crimp die. If you have four die stations, use the roll crimp factory die to just roll back a bit of the case mouth and seat the bullet to the proper depth. On your fourth station, the taper crimp then crimps it properly.

If you hold the finished cartridge up to the light and align it with a straight edge, the case should end up with a slight taper to it. It should never be bulged slightly outward.

The reason for this is that the 9mm factory case is a tapered case and headspaces on the case mouth. This is why the include a roll crimp as the factory die. If someone misuses a roll crimp die and rolls the crimp in too much, it will still likely seat. (You will get a LOT of jams however.) But if someone misuses a taper crimp, then the case can go too far forward into the chamber, and the case headspaces on the extractor, which causes less jams but wild accuracy and possibly overpressure problems.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:54 am

I found a 4 hole turret which will be my 9mm turret as it will have the extra die in it

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:27 pm

The Lee turret press is a good one to use. That is what I started with years ago until I got the fever and needed more production speed. I was mowing thru about 800+rounds a week with competitions, league night shoots and just plain practice. Had to get a Dillon eventually just to keep up. My turret with the auto index served me very well and was definitely priced right.

FedCO
King Poobah

Postby FedCO » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:51 am

Is wolfe ammo considered reload ammo? It looks like factory reload. Wondering because I've been shooting it through my gen4 22.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm

i got the press going good and rolling out the ammo now.have to cast 38 bullets to keep up with the press.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:54 am

getting my mold next week to make 158 grain cast.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:05 pm

What's a good 9mm load with bullseye?

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:07 pm

the press is rolling out great wadcutters for me. I won 2 trophies this summer for ppc.

Grassynarrows
Poobah Overlord

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:59 am

Now using a dillon and making up 350 rounds per hour