reloading pistol ammo

Discussion for firearms and less-lethal equipment.

Moderators: Respond Wayne, Pete Broccolo, opp2, CourtOfficer, Dave Brown

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

reloading pistol ammo

Postby Grassynarrows » Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:14 pm

Anyone reloading Pistol ammo?
I'm looking to get into it, mostly 38 im gonna reload for PPC matches, and the odd batch of 9mm.
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: reloading pistol ammo

Postby Dave Brown » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:54 am

Regardless of what anyone tells you or what they sell in a 3-die set, you WILL need a taper crimp die for 9mm:
- Size die
- Powder drop (mouth expander) die
- Bullet seat and roll crimp die (keep the roll crimp backed way out; only use it to take out the mouth expansion)
- Taper crimp die for final sizing

9mm Luger is tricky to reload because it uses a tapered case. Virtually ALL problems with 9mm reloads relate to someone trying to get away with not taper crimping them. Aside from that one issue, they are very straightforward.

Also, don't try to use ex-military 9mm cases. It is not worth the time or trouble to remove the primer pocket crimp, especially at the cost of once-fired 9mm cases these days. (Buy me a beer next time you are in town and I will load up your trunk with all the .38 and 9mm cases you can use.)

I should also give my other standardized warning here on the public side that one should NEVER shoot reloads in a Glock pistol. There is a very significant reason for this that I am not going to get into, but essentially don't believe everything you read on the internet on this topic.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:37 am

yes for sure will do thanks you kind sir!
Be professional and methodical. Take ownership of the situation. Look, listen and understand what is really being said and you will never have to walk away from an incident wondering if you missed something. Make every contact with the public count.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:21 am

Dave Brown wrote:
I should also give my other standardized warning here on the public side that one should NEVER shoot reloads in a Glock pistol. There is a very significant reason for this that I am not going to get into, but essentially don't believe everything you read on the internet on this topic.

Maybe the. 40's...
I've reloaded thousands of 9mm for my mod 17's...

The only flocks I have seen come apart (2) were. 40's...
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.
Make counter accusations...

Dave Brown
Site Admin

Postby Dave Brown » Thu Sep 20, 2012 3:24 am

In all the years I have been in the firearms training business, I have never seen or read of a single documented case of this happening with a 9mm Glock. I have heard of lots with the .40 and have even witnessed one with a .45.

That being said, on the public side, my official stand is to repeat that one should not use reloads in a Glock.

I have heard that some users with personally-owned Glocks have switched to aftermarket barrels with success. If I owned a .40 or .45 model, I would too.

However, no one should ever be using reloads in an issue pistol, no matter the calibre.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:20 pm

Dave Brown wrote:In all the years I have been in the firearms training business, I have never seen or read of a single documented case of this happening with a 9mm Glock. I have heard of lots with the .40 and have even witnessed one with a .45.

That being said, on the public side, my official stand is to repeat that one should not use reloads in a Glock.

I have heard that some users with personally-owned Glocks have switched to aftermarket barrels with success. If I owned a .40 or .45 model, I would too.

However, no one should ever be using reloads in an issue pistol, no matter the calibre.
I missed the point re issued guns...
Certainly true... It don't belong go you... And if someone fails you don't ha anyone to blame or send the bill to
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:22 pm

its in the police services act here not to use reloaded ammo in a duty pistol.

wannabe fuzz
Rookie Member

Postby wannabe fuzz » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:40 pm

The municiple service in my town uses nothing but commercially reloaded ammo for practice, and Lawman for on duty. Also, all practice is done with "practice" magaziness vs. issued duty mags.

Bald Man
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Bald Man » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:01 am

The lawman line from Speer is FMJ, so I bet their duty ammo is Speer Gold Dot JHP

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I ordered a lee kit

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:20 pm

What's everybody's favorite load for 38?

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:08 pm

Grassynarrows wrote:What's everybody's favorite load for 38?

Depends....

My ppc load has always been 2.8gr of Bullseye with a 148gr lead HBWC.

Don't use .38 for any other type of shooting though so... I've never loaded anything else.
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.

Grassynarrows
Super-Ultra-Mega Poobah

Postby Grassynarrows » Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:48 pm

Seems the consensus is 2.8 grains of bullseye behind a 148 grain hollow wadcutter bullet with a Cci small pistol primer

shootermcgavin
Rookie Member

Postby shootermcgavin » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:14 pm

Yes, I use 2.7gr's of bullseye with 148 HBWC and get fantastic results. Scrap those CCI's and go with Federal small pistol primers. The Federals are much easier to ignite than harder cup on the CCI and allow you to tune your trigger to a lighter pull.

Bitterman
Poobah Overlord

Postby Bitterman » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:41 pm

shootermcgavin wrote:Yes, I use 2.7gr's of bullseye with 148 HBWC and get fantastic results.

2.7.....???

HERITIC..!
Admit nothing.
Deny everything.